- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
With Tony added to their group, the team has to decide who to try and contact next.
Title: Death be not proud 4/7
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) Gen
Pairing/Characters: n/a
Rating: FRT 13
Summary: What happened after Twilight
Warnings: Death fic (duh!).
Notes: This is a sick and twisted idea that I got after reading a post regarding Twilight. I apologize in advance but I just couldn't help myself
Acknowledgments: I don't own the characters, I'm only borrowing them but I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished with them.

[Part 04]

"So what do we do now?" asked Tony, once he had been brought up to date on the events so far. "Go after Ari and take down that son of a bitch?"

"I don't think we could do that Tony," said McGee. "So far the most we've managed to do was move my hand." Seeing Tony's frown of puzzlement, he quickly added, "That is, the hand on my body. So I don't think we'd be able to do anything to Ari. Not yet anyway, we'd need a heck of a lot more practice."

"Besides," said Ducky. "I believe it would be most inadvisable for the dead to start taking revenge on the living. However justified we might be in doing so. Most mythologies predict direful things for angry spirits, who take out their wrath on the living, and I don't know about the rest of you, but while I'm quite happy to be a ghost, especially in such convivial company, I don't think I'd be quite so enamored to be a wraith or a boogeyman."

"So we can't do anything to Ari," grumbled Tony, resting his head in his hands. "Being a ghost sucks."

"Oh I didn't say we couldn't do anything to him, Anthony. Merely that we shouldn't kill him. We're ghosts remember, and what do ghosts do?"

Tony looked up, his trademark smile back in place. "They haunt people!"

Ducky nodded and smiled. "It may take a bit of practice, but I'm sure that between the four of us, we can manage to make that bastard's life a living hell."

If McGee's spine had been with him, instead of resting in a drawer in the morgue with the rest of his body, he was sure that a cold shiver would have run down it at the tone of Ducky's voice.

"Well I hate to break up your happy plans," said Kate, "But haunting the guy just doesn't do enough for me."

"Not the stalker type, eh Kate," said Tony. "You know you really ought to let out some of that pent up aggression of yours in some form instead of keeping it all bottled up."

"Yeah? How about I let it out on you. Just because I want to do something constructive about stopping Ari instead of sitting around in my underwear."

"Ooh, low blow, Kate," Tony grinned, "But if you want to sit around in your underwear, don't let me stop you."

"You know the worst thing about this whole situation is that I can't even shoot you."

"Actually the worst thing about this situation is that no matter what we do, we won't be able to stop Ari from carrying out more terrorist acts," said McGee, stepping between Kate and Tony. "Look, our priority at this moment should be finding out where Ari is and communicating that information to somebody who can do something about it."

"Looks like Probie grew himself a pair in the afterlife," said Tony, although there was a note of respect in his voice. "So what do we do now?"

"Um, er," McGee was suddenly conscious of all eyes being upon him. Taking a deep breath, or at least a rough approximation of one, he said, "I think we should try to make contact with Abby."

"What about Gibbs?" asked Kate. "He's the one who can get things moving to catch Ari."

"If anybody can convince Gibbs about the veracity of a message from beyond the grave, then it would indeed be our Abigail," said Ducky with an air of finality. "And besides, it would be nice to reassure the poor child of our continued presence."

"Cool," said Tony. "You know there's something I've always wondered."

"How women manage to turn you down?" Kate smirked at him.

Tony pulled a face at her before replying, "Nope, I've just always wondered, how exactly does a Goth mourn. I mean they've already got the black clothes thing going, so what do they do when somebody dies, wear bright colors?"

-------------------------

Abby was still in her trademark Goth outfits when the team found her. Black clothes, black eyeliner and plenty of funky spiked jewelry. But it was obvious that she was upset. Even her pigtails seemed a little less perky than usual.

As McGee had predicted, she was slumped in front of her Ouija board doing her best to seek out a message from the spirit plane. The second they materialized in front of her, the Ouija board started going wild, moving frantically from side to side.

Abby immediately sat up straighter, her eyes widening. "Oh my God, this is not happening." Taking a deep breath, she put her hands back on the pointer. "Okay...is...is there somebody there?"

"Well at least she's expecting to contact one of us, so she's probably not going to keel over and die if we respond," said Kate. "Sorry Ducky."

"No apologies necessary Caitlin. Shall we try and move the pointer?" He put his finger on the pointer but it went right through it. "Hmm, this isn't as easy as I'd expected."

"Maybe Kate or I should try it," suggested McGee. "Abby's probably trying to contact one of us, so maybe I don't know, we'll be able to do it."

Kate shrugged, "What have we got to lose."

As Abby repeated her question, Kate and McGee concentrated their resources on the pointer. It took a lot of effort but they finally managed to make it point to the YES.

Abby's eyes were focused on the board. "Who are you?"

This proved a little more difficult to answer, as both Kate and McGee were trying to spell their own names. But eventually they stopped arguing and Abby held her breath as the pointer moved M C G E E K A T E.

Abby shot back from the table a look of delight on her face. "Tim, Kate, oh my God, this is so cool! Are you here, I mean really."

"Abigail, be careful dear girl," said Ducky, as Abby was now jumping round her apartment in delight and had already waved her spiked wristband through his head twice.

"I've been doing this shit for years, and this is the first time I've gotten a proper response, or at least one I could be sure wasn't some bonehead with his finger on the pointer trying to make it tell me to sleep with him. Guys, where are you, can you let me see you?"

"Abby, watch out," called Tony as Abby's path took her over to her computer desk, but he was too late, and the team watched in horror as Abby waved her hands once too often. The spiked wristband smashed into the desk light and one of the spikes went directly into the bulb socket. There was a shower of sparks and the lights went out.

-------------------------

"You know maybe somebody put a curse on this team and that's why we're dropping like flies," said Abby.

"That'd be one explanation I'm sure," said Ducky.

"Ah well," said Abby. "You got to admit, it was a pretty cool way to go. Although I am disappointed about one thing."

"Only one?"

"Well yeah, I mean I always figured that death by electrocution would make my hair go all curly, you know like happens in the movies. But it's as straight as ever." She tutted in disappointment.

----------------------------

To be continued.
Chapter End Notes:
The very first NCIS fic I wrote. Written before Kill Ari aired, so no season 3 spoilers.