- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
With Abby now added to their team, there's only one person left to try and contact.
Title: Death be not proud 5/7
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) Gen
Pairing/Characters: n/a
Rating: FRT 13
Summary: What happened after Twilight
Warnings: Death fic (duh!).
Notes: This is a sick and twisted idea that I got after reading a post regarding Twilight. I apologize in advance but I just couldn't help myself
Acknowledgments: I don't own the characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.

----------------

[Part 05]

"So what do we now, guys?" asked Abby, as perky as ever even in death. "Cause I think we should sneak into the guys changing rooms at that new gym downtown."

"Make it the ladies changing rooms and you've got a deal, Abs," said Tony, eyes lighting up at the prospect.

"Did I thank you yet Tony for being so considerate as to drop dead in your shorts? Because I really appreciate it."

Tony struck a smug pose.

"Did I thank you for *not* dropping dead in the shower, DiNozzo?" said Kate.

Tony pulled a face at her, "Gee Kate I don't know. Guess I never thanked you for getting your blood all over my face."

"Don't blame me for that," snapped Kate, "McGee was the one who distracted Ari at the wrong time. Hey McGee," she said, turning to the younger agent. "Next time make sure you get him to hit this bonehead instead."

"I...I said I was sorry," McGee stammered.

"Ah, what's the matter, probie gonna cry," taunted Tony.

"I told you not to call me that any more."

"Oh yeah, well make me. Probie probie probie probie...ouch!" This was in response to Kate punching him in the stomach. "Hey that's not fair. Pick on someone your own size."

"Children please." Ducky's voice went unnoticed in the noise. He turned to Abby who was watching the argument.

"You know I really wish I had some popcorn right about now, Ducky."

"I think we need something stronger than that my dear Abigail. Without a firm hand to guide them, those young people will tear themselves apart. What they need is a leader."

Abby looked at Ducky for a few seconds before putting her fingers in her mouth and whistling loudly. When the three arguers finally shut up and looked at her she said "Pack up everybody, we're going to pay Gibbs a visit."

"Um, I don't know it that's such a good idea," said McGee hesitantly. "I mean, so far everybody we've tried to visit has, you know, died."

"Hate to say it, but Pro...McGee's right," said Tony. "We're not exactly batting a thousand here."

"I'm not sure that we have any alternative," said Ducky. "We could try and make ourselves known to a psychic or medium and perhaps pass on a message that way."

"Yeah, cause Gibbs is really gonna listen to some nutcase ringing him up to say she's got a message from 'beyond the grave'," this last was said in Abby's spookiest voice.

"Oh," said Kate, unsuccessfully trying to keep a smile from her lips. "I can just see his face now."

-------------------------

"I do have one suggestion before we head over to Jethro's house," said Ducky.

"What, you want to check out the changing rooms too, Duck man?" grinned Abby.

"Tempting though the idea is, Abigail, I really feel that we should devote some time to shall we say a higher purpose."

"You were more fun before you died. Go on Ducky, what sort of higher purpose did you have in mind?"

"Well I really feel that it would be a good idea for us each to practice moving things. While Caitlin and Timothy have had some small success..."

"I told you already how sorry I was about that, Ducky," interrupted McGee.

"Yes yes, but you also told me how difficult it was to manage even that small amount of movement of a corporeal form. I believe it would be of great value to us if we were able to interact with objects with a greater degree of success. It would certainly facilitate matters when endeavoring to communicate with Jethro."

"So you want us to practice so we can go all Poltergeist on his ass?" asked Tony. "I'm up for that."

"Well considering that Poltergeist activity is usually associated with a disturbed teenager, somehow I'm not really surprised," said Kate.

Before the bickering could start up again, Abby took charge and soon everybody was busy trying to move items of Abby's belongings around the room.

"Hey," yelped Tony as he felt Abby's hand on his boxers. "We're supposed to be moving corporeal objects."

"Sorry," said Abby, "I was er, aiming for something else."

----------------------

Finally, after several hours of practice, the team had acquired some proficiency at moving an object of their choice. It was still fairly hit and miss. Sometimes a simple push was enough to send say the Ouija board pointer scurrying madly across the table, other times it took a concerted effort, but overall Ducky was fairly confident that they would be able to control enough of their surroundings to pass a message to Gibbs.

Before leaving Abby's apartment, Kate took another trip back to get an update on Ari's situation. She was unable to ascertain where exactly he was, but as he had stopped the car to fill up at a gas station, she *did* manage to get a look at the number plate.

"You did good, Kate," said Tony when she told them of her success.

The words sent a chill through both of them. The last time Tony had said that had been the last moments of normality that either of them had known.

Unaware of the significance of the words, or perhaps just keen to get moving, Ducky rounded up his troops and they prepared for the transition to Gibbs house.

"It's the middle of the night," said McGee, looking at a clock. "Maybe we should wait, we don't want to wake him up."

"Oh Timothy," said Ducky, a note of sadness in his voice. "After all that's happened today, do you really think Gibbs will be sleeping? He'll be in his basement, working on that dammed boat of his."

"Yeah, any time he's pissed he goes and works on the boat," said Abby.

"Gee, I'm surprised he hasn't finished it by now," commented Kate.

"Nah, it's any time Gibbs get pissed he works on the boat," said Tony, "not any time he pisses someone off."

The tension broken, everybody gathered round.

-------------------------

"Wow, nice boat," said McGee, impressed at Gibbs handiwork.

"But where's Gibbs?" asked Abby.

"Gone upstairs for more coffee, probably," said Tony. "So what do we do? Start writing notes in the sawdust."

Kate had moved over to a workbench. "There's a carpenters pencil here. How about we write something on the boat. Then he'll be sure to notice it." She picked up the pencil with an effort, and held it out of the way of Tony's hand.
"No way DiNozzo, we want him to be able to read it!"

Tony backed off, hands in the air.

Kate brought the pencil over to the wood and tried her best to leave an impression on it, but her hand kept slipping through the wood.

"Concentrate, Caitlin," advised Ducky. "Easy does it."

"I want to get it done before Gibbs gets back," said Kate, biting her lip. "God knows what the sight of a moving pencil will do to him."

"Yeah, cause it's gonna be waaay freakier than him just finding writing after appearing on the side of his boat," said Tony, leaning over Kate's shoulder.

"Back off, DiNozzo," growled Kate. "Damn it," she swore as the pencil nearly slipped out of her hand.

"Let me try," said Tony.

"No!" snapped Kate. With one hand she tried to push him away, with the other she slammed the pencil up against the boat, concentrating on making it touch the wood and not go through it. But she had misjudged things and instead of the pencil just touching the wood, Kate's hand slammed against the side of the boat. "Dammit!" Kate instinctively dropped the pencil and watched in horror as the boat wobbled precariously on its support before crashing heavily to the ground. "Oh no!"

"Man, is Gibbs going to be pissed!" said Abby.

"Um guys," said McGee, who had walked around to the other side to survey the damage. "I think Gibbs is going to have other things on his mind."

"Like what, probie?" asked Tony as he followed McGee around to the other side of the boat. "Oh," he said, seeing the lower half of Gibbs body sticking out from under the wreckage of the boat. "Like that."

-------------------

"Oh my God, I've killed Gibbs," groaned Kate as she sat on the steps with her head in her hands.

"Look on the bright side Kate," said Tony.

"Bright side, *bright* side...I've just killed our last chance of catching Ari. Where the hell is the bright side in that?"

Tony shrugged, "Well at least since you're already dead, Gibbs won't be able to kill you."

-----------------------

To be continued.
Chapter End Notes:
The very first NCIS fic I wrote. Written before Kill Ari aired, so no season 3 spoilers.