- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team is finally reunited in death, but what do they do next?
Title: Death be not proud 6/7
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) Gen
Pairing/Characters: n/a
Rating: FRT 13
Summary: What happened after Twilight
Warnings: Death fic (duh!).
Notes: This is a sick and twisted idea that I got after reading a post regarding Twilight. I apologize in advance but I just couldn't help myself
Acknowledgments: I don't own the characters, I'm only borrowing them and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.

[Part 06]

"Actually there's another bright side to this," added Tony.

Kate glared at him as he continued, "At least now I don't have the most embarrassing death. I mean, think of it. Getting squished by a boat has got to be waaaay more embarrassing than slipping in the bathroom. Poor Gibbs, everybody'll be sitting around and reminiscing about their death and he'll have to say somebody pushed a boat on top of him and...and he's behind me, isn't he?"

Kate nodded and let herself sink through the steps out of sight.

"Oh boy," said Tony, turning quickly around. "Hey boss, how's it going?" he asked brightly.

"DiNozzo," Gibbs had the voice of a man who was rapidly running out of patience...nothing unusual there. "Why are you standing around in my basement...in a pair of boxer shorts?"

"Because it was too cold to go commando...ouch!" this last was following a swat on the head. "Look Boss, you might want to sit down for a minute while I explain things."

"DiNozzo, I've had a very long day and I'm not in the mood for whatever scrape you've got yourself into. Just get out, and if you're going to play strip poker, then *please* learn how to cheat properly." Gibbs had his hand on Tony's arm ready to lead him up the stairs.

"Jethro," said Ducky, emerging from the shadows. He had felt it would be best if Gibbs wasn't suddenly confronted by the ghosts of all his team at once. To that end he had suggested that Kate and McGee stay out of Gibbs immediate sight. "You really need to sit down and listen to what we have to say."

"Ducky? Is this some kind of intervention or something? And really shouldn't you have changed out of your scrubs before you came over?"

Ducky had almost forgotten what he was wearing, "Ah, yes, I would have changed, but circumstances dictated otherwise."

"I said I was sorry," came McGee's voice from a darkened corner.

Gibbs spun around quickly. "Ducky, did you hear that? Sounded like McGee."

"Jethro," Ducky tried to get his attention. "I really think you should sit down and listen to what Tony and I have to say."

"I'm not going crazy, Ducky," protested Gibbs. "I know I heard his voice."

Ducky sighed, "I can see this isn't going to work. Everybody, please come out."

Abby was the first to emerge. "Hey Gibbs."

"Did...did you just walk through the wall?"

"Yep, isn't this just the coolest thing ever?"

"Not especially, now do you mind telling me just what's going on and..." Gibbs voice trailed off as McGee followed Abby out of the wall. "McGee? But you're dead. I saw them bring your body to the morgue..."

"Hey boss," said Kate, standing up behind Gibbs. He spun round to look at her and then did a most unGibbs like thing. With all the team watching him, he fainted.

----------------------

Gibbs could hear voices all around him.

"I never knew ghosts could faint. You sure he's dead, Ducky? Maybe the boat just knocked him out."

"From what I could see of the body Tony, I'm afraid that Gibbs is indeed deceased."

"Besides," and this was Abby's voice. "The fact that he's still doing a wicked witch of the west impression the other side of the basement while his ghost is over here is a pretty good sign."

"Wasn't that the wicked witch of the east that ended up under the house?" This was McGee's voice. "And the wicked witch of the west was the one who melted."

"Whichever it was, it's still a pretty nasty way to go." This was Tony again. "On the plus side, I don't think the boat took too much damage."

"Well it did have a nice soft landing. Poor Jethro, when I think of all the times he's cheated death in his life, it does seem strange that he should die in such an...unfortunate way."

"Look, it was an accident, okay?" Kate sounded really irritated by now. "And besides, what sort of idiot spends his time lying under a boat?"

"The idiot who happens to be your *boss*," growled Gibbs, finally opening his eyes and sitting up. "And for your information, I fell asleep down here." That the sleep had been precipitated by several shots of whisky was something Gibbs felt no need to explain.
What did need explaining however was just why he was being haunted by the ghosts of his dead team. That, and why there were so many of them.

---------------------

One set of explanations later and Gibbs was still none the wiser. "I don't believe in ghosts," he announced.

"Well we sure believe in you, boss," grinned Tony. "And I'm sure you believe in yourself...you know I was kinda beginning to miss that glare of yours."

"Okay, assuming for the sake of argument, why exactly are all of ghosts. Ducky, you're the death expert, what do you make of all this." An observer would have noted how quickly the team had fallen into their usual roles once Gibbs was there to push them on.

"Well there's many stories and myths about the origin of ghosts," Ducky began. "I could go on for years without repeating myself."

"An eternity of Ducky telling stories," Tony whispered to Kate. "Well at least it'll make the time pass."

"I'm less worried about an eternity of Ducky telling stories than I am an eternity of Gibbs without any coffee," Kate whispered back. Tony grimaced in response.

"But the most usual reasons for somebody becoming a ghost are either due to unfinished business to attend to..."

"And I think we all know what *that* is," said Gibbs.

"...or if the person or persons responsible for their death have not been brought to justice. That would indeed fit in well. Timothy and Caitlin's killers have yet to be caught."

"Well technically McGee was responsible for *my* death," said Kate.

"Yes, but since his spirit is not at rest then yours cannot rest either. The same holds true for me. My spirit is tied to the spirits of both of you."

"And mine is tied to the rest of you," added Abby. "And Gibbs, you're tied to the lot of us so you can't rest until we do."

McGee looked puzzled, "But that doesn't explain Tony."

"McGee," said Kate, "*Nobody* can explain Tony."

"But yeah," said Abby, "How come Tony's still hanging around if he died by accident."

Tony shrugged, "You know me, never one to miss a good party!"

-----------------------

To be continued
Chapter End Notes:
The very first NCIS fic I wrote. Written before Kill Ari aired, so no season 3 spoilers.