- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Introductions can change your life. Jethro Gibbs and Jack O'Neill -- can you imagine what happens when two alpha males, such as these, collide?


And what do you think happens when a certain Anthony DiNozzo enters the picture and not only catches Jack's eye but a certain Jaffa warrior's as well?

Hmmm . . .
Introductions 1

By

Angelise


+++++++


Donald Mallard smiled at the tall, handsome gentleman making his way through the hungry crowd of lunchtime patrons waiting to be seated. His smile turned into a frown when he noticed the signs of stress on his friend's face, and he promised himself there and then to correct whatever was causing the problem.

Scooting back his chair, the Medical Examiner stood and embraced the younger man, hugging him with great enthusiasm before kissing him lovingly on the cheek. "Jack, it's been way too long since our last visit. Promise me you won't wait another four months before you again favor me with your delightful presence."

"You know the military, Ducky. Work, work, work." Jack O'Neill took a seat next to the older man and briefly gripped his hand. "Are the steaks here still the best in town?"

Ducky picked up his menu and perused the selections. "Marcus wouldn't have it any other way. Only the best quality for his clientele."

"And how is the old queen?" Jack asked, setting his menu down and taking a sip of the beer Ducky had had the foresight to order the moment Jack arrived.

"Marcus is doing quite well. He and Simon are celebrating their 25th anniversary together this month." Ducky collected a roll from the linen-covered basket sitting in the center of the table and broke it in half. "They plan on renewing their vows in a private ceremony. You're invited, of course" He slathered his roll heavily with the freshly made butter provided and popped it in his mouth, groaning in ecstasy when the sinfully light-as-air bread nearly melted on his tongue.

"Email me the exact date, and I'll try my best to come." Jack leaned forward, and with a chuckle, brushed free the stray crumb clinging to the corner of Ducky's mouth. His hand was immediately caught and squeezed gently before he could withdraw it to his side of the table.

"I was sorry to hear of Daniel's death, Jack. How are you coping with the loss?" Ducky moved his chair closer to the silent man. "I realize the two of you had only just begun to date but still, I'm sure his death must have caused you great pain." A faraway look came over Jack's face, and the mysterious smile that soon followed completely confused Ducky.

"Yeah, it hurt like hell, a real sucker punch to the heart, Ducky. But I'm okay with it now." Jack waved a hand in the air, indicating the restaurant Ducky had invited him to. "I must be okay, right? I'm here, aren't I? Ready to meet this man you're dying to introduce me to."

Ducky fondly ruffled Jack's hair. "Jethro should be here shortly, and I'm quite sure the two of you are going to hit it off spectacularly."

"You said on the phone that he's been married twice. Why all of the sudden is he switching teams?" Jack spared a smile for the waiter who, without asking, brought him a fresh glass of beer. "Thanks."

"I might ask you the same question, my boy. Having known you since your teens, why did you switch teams and marry Sarah?"

Feeling the weight of Ducky's inquisitive stare, Jack squirmed in his chair. He had never revealed the true reason for marrying his first ex-wife to Ducky, and he wasn't quite sure he wanted to do so now.

"Jack," Ducky said quietly, "we all make mistakes, and I myself have no room to pass judgment."

The Air Force Colonel closely examined his friend's eyes and found only concern and understanding in their depths. Sighing, he took a bracing sip of beer, grimacing slightly when the taste vividly reminded him of the tale he was about to share with his lunch companion.

"You remember Adam Pierson? Well, one day out of the blue, he decided it was time to move on. Dumped me on my ass the night before graduation. I was mad as hell and decided the best thing to do was to drown my sorrows in a case of beer. Sarah was the one who found me drunk as a skunk, and as it is with all heartbroken fools, one thing led to another." Jack paused to place his order. "Exactly four weeks after we did the deed, she informed me she was pregnant."

Lifting his glass, he tilted it in Ducky's direction. "Now, I may be a lot of things but irresponsible is not one of them. I did the honorable thing and married Sarah. It wasn't easy giving up men, but the moment my son was placed in my hands, I vowed to live the straight life and did so until our divorce." Jack took the buttered roll Ducky handed to him and munched away. "What's your friend's story?" he asked after licking his fingers clean.

"Like you, Jethro is gay. Regrettably, instead of pursuing what, no doubt, could have been a brilliant academic career, he dedicated his life to the military. It was a way for him to escape his small town upbringing. Jethro enlisted straight out of high school, and it wasn't long before he realized being a Marine and being homosexual would not work for him. Unwilling to jeopardize his career, the dear boy attempted to live a life that, as you now know, proved unsuccessful not once but twice." Ducky signaled for their waiter to bring him another glass of wine. "I have spoken with Jethro at great lengths recently and believe I have convinced him of the error of his ways."

"I hope so, Ducky," Jack said with a grin that turned into a suggestive leer, " 'cause from all that you've told me, I have a feeling this Jethro Gibbs is just the man for me. Not to mention that picture you emailed me has kept my dreams steamy hot and my sheets sticky wet."

Jack's laughter was a balm to Ducky's anxious heart. He had no doubt his two favorite ?sons' were a perfect match for each other. "Would you excuse me for a moment?" he asked as he scooted back his chair. "I need to visit the gentlemen's room."

Pushing through the throng of people gathered near the bar, Ducky was caught by surprise when his arm was nearly pulled out of its socket.

"Ducky Mallard, you sly devil! Where in the world have you been hiding these past few months?"

Ducky swallowed back the sour taste that flooded his mouth the instant Marissa Grant's shrill voice assaulted his ears. He pasted on a smile and turned toward the tall, willowy redhead. "How good to see you again, Marissa. And your father? How is he?"

"The old man misses you, Ducky. Misses you quite a lot, if you get my drift," the woman replied with a knowing wink.

Jacob Grant had been a major mistake and was one of the reasons Ducky would never pass judgment on any of his friends. "Give your father my regards, Marissa. Now, if you would excuse me." Ducky tried to slip past but his way was blocked, and when a pair of male hands settled down on his shoulders he verbally took their owner to task. "If you don't mind, sir, I would appreciate it if you would kindly remove your hands from my person and step aside."

"Ducky, I swear the next time you talk me into joining you for lunch, we're going . . . hello, I'm Jethro Gibbs."

Ducky nearly growled with frustration when Jethro stepped past him and took Marissa's hand in his. "Jethro, I believe you've made a false assumption. This is not . . . ."

"Introduce us, Ducky."

"But, Jethro." Steel gray blue eyes locked with his, and their intensity had Ducky taking an involuntary step back.

"Ducky, no arguments. Introduce the beautiful lady to me, now."

Ducky cast a glance over his shoulder and sighed in disgust. "Oh hell." Squaring his shoulders, he complied with his friend's demand. "Jethro Gibbs, may I introduce you to Miss Marissa Grant. She's the daughter of an old acquaintance."

"Can I interest you in a drink, Miss Marissa Grant?"

"You may indeed, Mr. Gibbs."

"Call me Jethro, please."

Stamping his foot, Ducky watched in horror as Jethro escorted Marissa to the bar and slipped his arm around her slender waist. "Go ahead, Jethro. Play your little charade. We both know how it will end."

Ducky turned on his heel and angrily strode back to his table. Resuming his seat next to Jack, he gazed unhappily at the steaming plate of Trout Almondine placed before him. "Jack, an unfortunate meeting has delayed Jethro, and I'm sorry to say this delay will last at least a good six months or so. Until then, may I interest you in a colleague of mine who, at this moment, resides in Las Vegas?"


End of Chapter 1
Chapter End Notes:

Summary for this chapter: Not actually a spoiler for the episode, 'Blackwater,' but it is based on Ducky's confession that it was he who introduced Jethro to his third wife.