- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
and so the courting starts
Title: Blind Leading the Blind The Start
Genre: Slash
Pairing/Characters: DiNozzo/Gibbs
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Will Tony ever understand love
Warnings: dark ideas and abuse
Acknowledgments: thanks to all my test readers and G for all her
hard work


Gibbs walked into the cheap motel room and lay on the bed. He lay there, just staring at the ceiling. He had no clue why he was there. He tried shutting his eyes, but the bed was empty, and he didn't have Tony there with him. He hadn't had Tony in his bed that long, but he missed having him there now. The next few weeks would be hell for sleeping, and he knew that.

Courting; his own mother wanted him to court Tony. Tony was fragile but strong. He would make this work. And if his mother wanted it to happen, she would help in little ways with taking care of Tony.

Gibbs sat up and walked back out to the office. He paid for a month, then he hopped in his car. He drove the 3 hours back home and packed. He packed all different kinds of clothing but made sure to grab a few suits. Courting meant dressing up or at least it always did in the stories he'd heard from his Nanna.

He looked at his watch. It was 2:00 AM. He still had a 3 hour drive ahead back to the hotel, then he had to be at breakfast at 9:00. He'd also make sure to bring something for Tony. He walked over and packed Tony some more clothing, not knowing what his mother had packed. He also got Kelly's stuff all ready.

He proceeded to get back into the car after loading it up with all the suitcases and then stopped at the 7-11 and got himself some coffee. Not good but better than the stuff at work. If he could drink that, he could drink this.

"Special Agent Gibbs, this is Tony DiNozzo. He'ill be taking over for me when I retire." This from Mitch, the old man who used to deliver the mail.

"Yeah."

"Nice to meet you, Special Agent Gibbs. I've heard a lot about you." Tony stuck his hand out, not in the right direction, and it was then that Gibbs knew this man was blind. He had his doubts that a blind man could deliver the mail but he always tried not to judge a book by its cover.

"Nice to meet you." Gibbs paused and marveled at the man in front of him, his strength just to go for the job and then get it and not back down. "McGee, you have the reports?" And Mitch the old mail guy removed Tony.

They were taking it slow and they had set up the cart already, so Tony knew when it was time to hand the next person their mail. Everyday was the same. Tony delivered the mail. Gibbs would hear about how cool Tony was from Abby when they would share a dinner together.

He kept pushing the man away. He didn't deserve love and why would some blind guy want to love him. What would he have to offer the man? One time Gibbs thought he saw a bruise where it shouldn't have been but chalked it up to the fact Tony was blind and might bump into something.

Gibbs was thinking back to when he first met Tony and knew then it was a bad mistake to even get involved with this man, let alone think he would want to be involved with an old, scarred, gruff and grumpy man like him. Gibbs had done a lot of thinking on the way back to the motel; when he got back it was just turning 6:00 in the morning. He took a shower, shaved and put on his suit. He was going to make this idea of his mother's work. He was going to make Tony feel like he was the only person on the Earth. The hardest part would be not having Tony in his bed. He knew his mom wouldn't let any hanky-panky happen for some time. Even if Tony wanted it, she would stick to her guns.

Since the fight with his father and both men almost dying from cuts and bruises and then getting thrown into jail or the Marines, his mother had been a formidable lady. After that night she took the family by a hold and hadn't let it go and didn't put up with anything else from anyone. He didn't know if she was seeing anyone, and it was none of his business; he only wanted his mother to be happy. His father was dead now. He'd died in a car crash while drunk. What made Gibbs even madder was that he'd killed a mother and three children on his way home. His grandparents were dead from his father's side and he had loved them a great deal; his grandfather from his mother's side had passed on as well. His Nanna was still alive, and he knew that if he went to her, she would force his mother to not go through with this idea, but he got to thinking that this idea was what he and Tony both needed. He was moving too fast. His lust and love for Tony was blinding him to the fact of them just spending time and bonding, and now his mom had forced it.

He got himself all cleaned up and took his suitcase out of the car, leaving Tony's and Kelly's in the car. He took his suit bag and hung it up in the room and unpacked his clothing. He got dressed in his black suit that day. He was tired; he felt it in his bones, but right now that didn't matter. He went to the local corner store that was open and got himself coffee. He then wanted to stop and get Tony a rose but no place was open around him. The only ones he could find looked sad, even to him. He knew Tony liked a special brand of coffee and drove to the next town over and went to the local Starbucks there and got Tony his flavor and then by the time he got back it was quarter to 9:00 and he was pulling into the driveway of the farm.

*~*~*~*~*~

Tony didn't sleep well at first. The bed for him was also empty, but halfway through the night he was much better. There was another body in the bed with him. Kelly had climbed into bed with Tony for an unknown reason.

The sun was shining through the window, and Tony felt the warmth on his face. He started to stir, then he felt the other body and pulled it closer to him. It felt odd; the body wasn't heavy but light. Tony slowly sat up and felt the little hand on his body slip off.

"Kelly," Tony said softly, and the body stirred a little. "Kelly, honey, what's wrong."

"Nothing, Daddy, but I wanted to make sure you were okay. Don't tell Abby, but Poppy asked us to make you feel special and she said I'm not allowed." Kelly hugged her father and Tony took the hug and returned it.

"Thank you, honey, thank you very much."

"Are you and Poppy getting a divorce?"

Tony stopped, not knowing what to tell her.

"I'm not sure, honey. I don't want to, but, well I'm just not sure."

"No, Daddy, you can't leave me." Kelly started crying and hugged Tony harder.

Tony heard the person on the other side of the door before the door opened. He didn't know who it was, couldn't get a smell. The door cracked open.

"Kelly," Abby said softly, trying to find her sister.

"She's right here, Abby."

Abby came in and saw Kelly crying and holding onto Tony tight. "What happened?"

"Daddy and Poppy are getting divorced," Kelly mumbled.

"Oh, honey, no they're not. Grams is trying to make Poppy see that he did something wrong." Abby was sitting on the bed, Capp looking up at the people now in the room, asking to go out without moving.

"Really?" Kelly looked up at Tony. "Daddy is that true?"

"Honey, I'm not sure what's going on. Right now I can tell you that I'm not going anyplace except to let Capp out the back and let her go potty."

With that statement the service dog was now standing in front of Tony.

"Want to help me, honey?"

"Yes."

"Grams wants to talk to you, Kelly. She needs to tell you something first, okay?"

"Okay, where she?"

"She's in the kitchen making breakfast, plus I have to talk to Tony."

"You'll be nice to him, right?"

"Yes, honey, I will. I told Poppy that he had to make him feel special, but I already think Tony's special, but I want to help unconfuse him with what's going on. I talked to Grams already."

"Okay." Kelly stood on the bed and gave Tony a kiss on the lips and Tony returned the kiss and the little girl hopped off the bed.

"Abby, what's going on?"

"Okay, here's the deal. Grams is making Dad court you."

"Court me? What the hell does that mean?"

"You know what courting means, right?"

"Like a date kind of thing."

"Yes. In the South it's a custom that a gentleman call on a lady. Well, Grams is making you be called on."

"So I'm a lady now." Tony and Abby both smiled.

"Tony, you know better than that." Abby swatting Tony's shoulder both of them laughing "She wants Dad to treat you correct and learn that you and us come before the damn job. Tony, I'm not sure you know much about Dad's past with ladies, or men for that matter."

"I know enough." After his many talks with Gibbs.

"Well, let's put it this way; everyone he has married or dated left him due to the fact he always put that damn job first. If I wasn't his flesh and blood, I would have left him a long time ago."

"Okay, so what does this courting mean? Will he be staying, can we still share a bed?"

"Well, I'm not sure, but Grams will explain everything. She's cooking up a storm. She said she wants to talk to you, so I'm going to go finish making the bed. Make sure you make your bed, it's one of her pet peeves."

"Okay, thanks, Abs." Tony stood up and started making the bed, the dog not moving from the spot her master had set her.

"Don't you move a muscle, mister."

Tony froze and then smelled the lavender and vanilla that he'd smelled on the lady the night before.

"I told you not to lift a finger last night."

"Yes, ma'am, but it would be rude of me not to make my own bed."

"Well, I guess I can relent to good manners. Now, my granddaughter told me she talked to you. I'd like to as well, but let's get this great creature and let her go out and we can talk on the porch for a spell."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Stop that ma'am shit. It's either Grams or Momma."

"Yes, ma- I mean, Momma."

She smiled, as did Tony. He took the harness off Capp and they went to the door and they walked onto a porch and Tony let Capp run around for a little while. He knew she would come right back on a single word, so he wasn't scared. Tony heard Momma stop and pick up something and then when she was outside she put it down and helped him to the chair.

"Iced tea?"

"No, thank you."

"Okay, so what did my granddaughter tell you?"

"Just that I'm to be courted."

"Yes, she would be correct. I want a good old-fashioned courting. I want Jethro to have to work for you, honey."

"Momma, really, he did nothing wrong. I'm fine. I understand his job."

"Pish-posh. He is a jackass, and he knows it. He didn't seem to care about you on the floor till he knew I would not have my future son-in-law treated like that." Tony stoped at that comment for a moment.

"Momma…"

"Yes, now here's the deal. I've permitted him to come to breakfast today. He won't be permitted to stay at the house since it would be inappropriate to have him here and you here."

"Ma- I mean Momma, but-"

"No buts son. He will work for it. I'm not saying that in time, if things go nice, that he won't be permitted to have alone time, but in the beginning you will not be alone. You will not sit touching each other. It will be innocent. Kelly and Abby both have been instructed in what to do. Abby is trying to explain more now to Kelly. She is fond of you a great deal."

"I love her as well; she only ever gives, never takes."

"That's a Gibbs for you. My son is the same way, but sometimes he gets blinded and now I'm removing the blinders and he will treat you right. Also he WILL be bringing you a gift now and then."

"Oh, no, please."

"Tony, dear, you're worth it and a hell of a lot more. I mean that, sugar, I really do." She moved closer and placed her hand on his leg and his hand.

"I'm, well, just not used to all this."

"Oh, get used to it, honey. I hope you see that I'm only doing this for your benefit."

"I do, and thank you, but Momma, it's not really needed. Jethro never meant to hurt me. I know that."

"Son, if you don't want to do this, I won't force you into anything, but I think that it will be good for the both of you. I think it will help you and him bond more and get closer than just sharing a home and a bed."

"You might be right."

"I know I'm right, sugar, and I meant it. Accept the gifts from him. I told him nothing large but small tokens or favors from him meaning that you do belong together. There are a few rules, okay?"

"Yes, Momma." Tony put his lips together and whistled and Capp came running right back to her master. "Sorry."

"Don't be, sugar. She was chasing some rodent."

Both adults smiled. Abby was watching from the door and Kelly was getting the butter ready in the dish that she was told to put it in.

"Okay, there will be no touching. None, not even hands at the start. When I feel that it would be appropriate, then you may hold hands. Kelly, Abby or myself will be in the room at all times and no whispering. At said time of hand-holding, the presence of myself, Abby and Kelly will lessen but nothing will happen more than hand-holding. I will permit walks around the farm alone and unattended, but you will be timed so don't go thinking that you can take advantage."

"We haven't done any of that yet, Momma."

"Good. At least my son didn't totally fuck this up. In about a week we will go and you will meet Nanna, and on that trip I will permit you both to leave on a trip but only with Kelly and Abby, partly because she would kill me if I didn't let them visit. You are along ways away from a sleepover. But in time that will happen. Now, today I will give you both time to be alone and just say your piece and such. Starting tomorrow my son will court you proper. Are these okay with you, sugar?"

"Yes, Momma, and I think he is pulling up." And the sedan pulled into the driveway.

"Damn, child, you have good ears. Okay, well I will go and talk with him, then you may talk before food, then spend the day together." She got up and saw her son get out of the car and in his Sunday-go-to-meeting clothing. "Hot damn, child, you look great," she said.

"Momma, what-"

"Jethro, what-"

Jethro walked up to the porch and stood in front of his mother. "Ma'am my name is Leroy Jethro Gibbs and I have come to ask permission to court one Anthony Daniel DiNozzo. I bring him gifts of my intention."

"Well, Son, I'm happy to see that you're taking this for real. What gift do you offer my son?"

Gibbs raised an eyebrow at his mother's confession that Tony was her son.

"I bring his favorite flavor of coffee and a favor bearing my initials." Gibbs put forth the cup of coffee and a handkerchief that had his initials embroidered on it that his Nanna had given him when he went into the Marines.

Momma knew this meant a great deal to Gibbs and to give it meant a great deal more.

"These are acceptable favors and tokens." She stopped and turned to Tony and helped the confused man in front of her. "Tony, do you accept this courtship to said young gentleman?"

"Yes, Momma ,I do."

"Good. Now, Jethro you will be permitted to have 10 minutes till the food is served, then you may have the afternoon alone. After that the courtship begins."

"Thank you, Ma'am, for this opportunity to win the handsome man's favor and love." Gibbs smiled.

Momma helped Tony to move in front of Gibbs. Gibbs put out his hand with the coffee and Tony moved a little awkwardly and found it, then Gibbs handed the handkerchief to Tony, who just smiled.

Momma left the porch and shooed the girls away from the door.

"Tony."

"Jethro, I'm-"

Gibbs placed his finger on Tony's lips. Tony wanted to start sucking on the finger.

"No, listen to me, and listen good and clear. You're worth all this and more. I mean it. I'm glad Momma is making us do this. You SHOULD be treated like a good Southern Gentleman. I hope that you will see that in the end."

"Jethro, I already see that right now. I know you love me. I love you."

"Shh, I want to tell you a story, then we can eat and then maybe I will change into something more appropriate for a walk."

"Change? What are you wearing?" Tony looked down. "Is there a table nearby? I know there is iced tea on it."

"Yes, Tony, why?"

"I want to put this hot coffee down for a moment."

Gibbs helped Tony put the coffee on the table, then Tony took his hands and started to roam Gibbs' face and hair. Tony was shocked; it was combed and nice and neat. He didn't smell of sawdust but of some musk and he frowned.

"What's that for?"

"Well, I kind of like the scent of sawdust on you."

"Well, maybe later. Look, I'm going to tell you a story now." And Gibbs proceeded to tell the story of the handkerchief and why it meant so much and that it went away to war with him in Desert Storm and all.

Tony was moved to tears at the end of the story. "I can't accept this, Jethro."

"Yes, you can, and you will. I want you to have it. You mean that much to me, Tony. Please see that."

"Daddy, Poppy, Grams said time for eating."

"Thanks, Angel, we'll be right in."

Gibbs supported Tony, who was a little weak from the story and Gibbs' declaration.

"I love you, Tony, I meant that."

"I know, Jethro, I know. I missed you last night. I couldn't sleep. Then Kelly crawled into bed and I was a little better, but it still wasn't you."

"Well, I didn't sleep at all."

"What? No, Jethro, you needed sleep."

"I will tonight, but I wanted to run home, and I got you some clothing, not knowing what Momma got for you, and I got my stuff and I have stuff for Kelly. Then I drove back, then I drove to the next town over for your coffee, then I came here."

"Jethro, you needed to rest. She said we have time this afternoon, right?"

"Yes."

"Good."

"What are you planning?"

"You'll see."

They both walked in and Abby whistled at her father's appearance. Kelly hugged her father and Tony and then sat on the opposite side to them. Abby was sitting next to her and Grams was at the head of the table. Tony and Gibbs were permitted to sit next to each other. They ate and just talked about the trip next week to see Nanna in the home. After breakfast Tony was not permitted to help clean up and Gibbs did it all. He washed all the dishes and Tony just sat there and listened to what he was doing. Gibbs was describing the kitchen to him, every little knot in the wood. After the dishes were done, Abby, Kelly and Grams left for a little while and went to the mall. Gibbs had informed them of the clothing and not to get anything. Gibbs put the suitcases in each person's room.

"Okay, come here, please, Jethro."

Gibbs left the girls' room and walked in to see Tony standing in only his boxers.

"Tony, no, I'm not having sex in my-"

"No, would you trust me?"

"Okay, I'm sorry, Tony."

"Come here."

Gibbs walked closer.

"Capp, go play." And the dog left the side of the man and went to a corner and lay down. Tony then proceeded to remove Gibbs' shirt.

"Tony, look-"

"Shhh."

Tony ran his hand over Gibbs' bare chest. He rested on his belt and Tony undid that and then moved Gibbs to sit. Not losing contact with Gibbs, Tony removed Gibbs shoes now that he was sitting. Then Tony removed Gibb's pants.

"Okay, now stand for a moment, please."

Gibbs stood at the statement and Tony, not letting go of the bed, moved and unmade the bed and turned it down.

"Get in."

"Tony-"

"Trust me, Jethro."

Gibbs got into bed. Tony, holding his hand, climbed into bed and lay down, bringing Gibbs' arm around him and holding him. Both men just lay there till they both fell asleep. They didn't even know what time it was but when they woke, Capp was not in the room and the door was shut now. The men both got up and got dressed. Gibbs and Tony then joined the family downstairs and reheated dinner. Nothing was said about what happened in the bed from anyone. Capp had been downstairs already and taken well care of.

When Gibbs left right at the stroke of 10:00, he and Tony spent about 20 minutes just kissing and saying good-night. Gibbs was permitted to return the next day at 4:00 for tea.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to G For all her hard work even wiht RL getting in the way. this would not be done with out you.