- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony gets a new buddy
The rest of the weekend they were trying to set up Tony with a path through the house. He counted the steps and knew where things were. The big thing that was set was that things would be left where they were. Like every time the TV was not in use and the remote was not in someone's hand, it would be on the coffee table in one location. The men put Velcro on it to make sure that it would stay in one place.

They also set up the tape recorder for Tony in one location in the kitchen. If Gibbs had to leave a message, he would use that. The answering machine was in one location and Gibbs helped Tony learn how to us it and what button to push. He also helped him learn where the stuff in the kitchen was, even what shelf the milk was on in the refrigerator.

After the talk they'd had in the ER, Tony was very adamant that he help out around the house as well, so Gibbs, with Tony's help, set up the bathroom cleaning stuff in order that Tony would know where the Comet, the glass cleaner, the wipes and even the Swiffers were. Then Tony made sure that Gibbs showed him how to use his washer and dryer and Tony told Gibbs that he was now making sure that the laundry was done, they just had to make sure the whites went in one hamper, colors in another. Gibbs tried to protest, but Tony stopped him with a single kiss.

The men didn't make-out, they only would lightly kiss every now and then. Every night they would stand in the hallway kissing good-night, then they would go to their rooms and fall asleep.

Monday came around and they got ready to go to the PT place. Gibbs made sure to go with him, just in case he had homework; Gibbs would make sure it got done. He was going to push Tony to make sure he got his independency back but also so that he would learn to rely on him and whoever wanted to help him. That would be the hardest part. Tony was already slowly learning that he could count on Gibbs and Abby to help him out.

While at PT, the girl was sweet and Gibbs wanted to rip her a new asshole because she was flirting with Tony. Gibbs also noticed that Tony was flirting back; it was only flirting and it was harmless, but he'd seen flirting before turn into more. Fornell and his second wife were a prime example; the one thing that grounded Gibbs was he knew that for Tony it was just flirting, especially after Tony made it clear that Gibbs was his boyfriend. The girl also gave the men a number for Tony to get help with adjusting to living as a blind person. Gibbs took the card and made a mental note for after they had the interview with the dog people; he wasn't discounting this girl, but he was sure they would know a good place for Tony to learn to adjust.

Tony went home and Gibbs made him do his exercises that he was told to do a few times each day. Tony was trying to pout but Gibbs was not putting up with it. He went all drill-instructor on Tony, and the younger man kind of liked the way he would switch from tender, loving man to hard-ass Marine. Now Tony just had to find a way to get his hard-ass to nail him.

The next day they had the interview for the helper dog institute. Tony had gotten some new clothes the day before on the way home from PT. Gibbs had taken him shopping and they had gotten Tony some nicer clothing than just sweats and T-shirts. He got a bunch of polos and a few turtlenecks as well as a lot of slacks. While there Gibbs made the first move and asked Tony out on a date, to go out to dinner to a little Italian place he knew not too far from the house. Tony accepted the date and was smiling the rest of the day. Gibbs was going to ask for a movie but wasn't sure what Tony would say. He would play it by ear.

The next morning they both got spiffed up and went to the interview with the helper dogs. The men walked up to the large building; they could see a course out back of it. It wasn't a tall building but it was a large building.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes. Tony DiNozzo, I have an appointment."

"Yes, sir, please have a seat." The lady turned and looked at Gibbs. "He should be about three hours. You can come back and pick him up then."

"NO. He's here with me."

"Oh, okay, I'm sorry, sir. Please have a seat."

Gibbs took Tony's arm and guided him to a chair. Gibbs was still glaring at the lady behind the counter. The men sat there for a good 10 minutes when a lady came out from a door and called Tony back.

"Sir, your caretaker can sit out here or return in a few hours."

"I'm not his caretaker, I'm his boyfriend," Gibbs barked.

Tony laid a hand on Gibbs' arm. He could feel how tight the muscles rippling in the arm were and smiled that Gibbs was protecting him.

"I'm sorry, sir, but this is Mr. DiNozzo's interview. You can wait out here."

"Will that be necessary?" Tony asked a bit hesitantly. "I live with the gentleman, and yes, he is my boyfriend and a big part of my life."

"We normally don't do that, only for spouses."

"Well, then, he is my husband," Tony said plainly.

Gibbs stopped for a second. Sure, why not. If he had his way, Tony was going to be the last person ever in his life. The lady looked Gibbs up and down, taking full note of the smile on his face.

"Fine, but this is highly unorthodox. This way, please."

The lady was showing them the way but kept glancing back, seeing the older man guiding the younger man. Tony didn't have his cane out; he didn't need it. Gibbs was there and would make sure he didn't get hurt.

They were shown into an office, Gibbs saying things lightly under his breath so Tony would hear him. The lady did have to smile at the care the older man was taking with the younger one.

"Ok, so, Mr. DiNozzo."

"It's Tony."

"Mr. DiNozzo what made you want a service animal?"

"Well, Jethro suggested it."

"You're Jethro?" she asked, looking at the silver-haired man.

"Yes, ma'am, Leroy Jethro Gibbs."

"Well, Mr. DiNozzo, after our short talk, I started the background check and I won't lie; your past is not the kind of environment in which we like to place our animals."

"That is just that, ma'am - his past."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gibbs, but we take great pride in the placing of our dogs."

"The past is the past. This is the future, and I think that Tony would benefit from an animal."

Tony just sat back and let his now-declared husband do the talking. He just sat and reveled in the fact he said Gibbs was his husband and he hadn't denied it; they'd never even talked about what to call each other, boyfriends, mates whatever. But it was okay. He wanted and was looking forward to the dating process and being courted by Gibbs.

"That might be so, but what is good for the animals and Mr. DiNozzo is my concern."

"It's Tony, please, and I think it might be a good idea for a helper dog."

"They are called service dogs."

"Listen, lady, you have a-"

And Tony placed a single hand on Gibbs' forearm, again feeling the muscles flexed and tense but the moment the hand touched him the arm relaxed and Gibbs was quiet.

"Ma'am, what my husband is trying to say is that it was my PAST, but Jethro is helping me turn my life around. I admit that my past is not the best and that you might see that as a sign for me not to qualify for a service dog, as you say they are named, but I no longer am living on the street as I said on the phone and I gave you an address that is the same as Jethro's here. I also will not deny that my career choice was not the best but I have been working for a government agency for about a year now and that must count for something."

"Well, sir, we did check in on the Doctor Mallard that you gave as a reference as well as a Miss Scuito and both said that you have turned your life around. There is one large problem. The social security number you gave us is no longer valid; it says that you're dead."

"Yes, ma'am, to some people I am. That would be my father's doing."

"Would you care to explain?"

"No."

"I'm sorry then."

"Tony, do you mind?" Gibbs said to him, looking at the man he loved in his dark glasses as he looked toward the lady.

"I would."

"Tony, if it means you getting the dog, then I think that she has a right to know. Don't worry, your father can't touch you, remember."

Tony had pain in his face and Gibbs also knew in his eyes, even if he couldn't see the hazel orbs through the glasses.

"Jethro…"

"I know, Tony, don't worry. Trust me."

The lady behind the desk took in the loving care the older man showed and the tenderness to the younger man, but she also noted that he was about to jump over the desk and rearrange her face it seemed.

"Okay, I trust you."

"See, ma'am, his father kicked him out at the age of fifteen or so when Tony lost his sight. He lived on the streets and the father declared him legally dead and pulled some strings to have him stay dead."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Is there nothing that can be done?"

"Yes, ma'am, there is, but right now Tony is turning his life around and that is the start, and in time maybe he will confront his father and put him away for the evil things that he's done against him."

"I can see the pain this caused, and I'm sorry, but you have to understand; we care for the animals and put a lot of training into them. We want them to go to good homes and be cared for by the person who is in need of the service animal. We want the person to have as much independence as possible."

"That's what I want for Tony. I might help him walking down a hall or what not but since we recently have started seeing each other and Tony moved in due to an unfortunate attack on him, he has started a routine around the house. He has taken it upon himself to make sure the laundry is done and that the house is clean. We went through the house and made sure he knew where things were and we put them back in the correct location. I only want Tony to get his independency back and he will care for himself and the animal. I'm there for him and will help when I need to but only when needed."

"Well, the care of the animal will be Mr. DiNozzo's responsibility. I can see by the way you interact with each other that you care for him a great deal and he for you but this is ultimately Mr. DiNozzo's responsibility. I will say that it is not normally a thing that we see that a sighted person takes on a none-sighted person and it is good to see that you do not see Tony any differently."

"The only thing different that Tony has that I don't, ma'am, is that he sees and hears better than me; I only see what's in front of me, while he sees all around him. Tony works for NCIS, like myself, and I would probably have him as a field agent if we could figure out a way for him to work in the field and not the mail room."

"You really mean that, Jethro?"

"Yes, and after you get all your help with the training of the dog and we both learn Braille, I seem to remember that there is a detective in NYPD who is also blind, so we can look into you becoming an agent if you wish."

Tony welled up with tears. Never before had Gibbs said any of this to him.

"I can see now, Mr. Gibbs, that you only want him to be on his own but to also know that you're there if he needs help. YOU plan on being there for him, and that is also part of the training. Mr. Di, I mean Tony, needs to learn that he is no different than you or my, any of us who can visually see. You just mentioned that Tony can't read Braille."

"No, ma'am. Like Jethro said, I was kicked out of my home at fifteen, right after I lost my sight."

"Well, we also offer courses here. We cater to the deaf and the blind, we can look into getting you the courses and Leroy-"

"Jethro, please. I hate being called by my first name."

"Okay, Jethro, you said you wish to also learn Braille. Can I ask why?"

"Yes. I already know ASL, and you never know when it might be a needed skill. My daughter, Abby Scuito, also would like to learn."

"Sir, if you don't mind me saying, this is a pleasant surprise. I can see why Tony here does care for you. Not even our legally married couples wish to take on that kind of challenge to be that much closer to their loved one."

"Truth being, ma'am, yes it is overall to be closer to Tony, but also it would not be a bad skill to have just in case I might need it on a case at one point or another. I learned ASL because one of my grandmothers was deaf."

"Is that the one we're taking a trip to see?"

"No, she passed away awhile ago."

"If you don't mind me asking, how long have you two been together?"

"Well, only about, what, three days?"

"Excuse me?" The lady, if she's had something in her mouth drinking it, would have spit it out.

"Well, yes. Jethro and I just started dating, but we've known each other for about a year or so and after I was attacked Jethro took me in and now is helping me change my life around. When I was stupid the other night, we declared that it would be official and we started dating. We have separate bedrooms in the house, though. We say goodnight like any couple would. It's nice."

"A little fast, moving in like that."

"Well, Tony said it. We've known each other from work for over a year now and I wasn't having the man I wanted to date live on the street."

"Well, after talking with you both and finding out the truth, I am happy to say that Tony, you will be eligible for a service dog. Also, Jethro, with your skills and passion, is there some way that we can ask you to maybe help out around this center? We can always use a new teacher for ASL and someone that has worked with a deaf person and now a blind person. We also offer courses here about how to make your home more livable for special needs people such as Tony, not that you need it; from the way you describe it, you have gone over most of the house but help never hurts. We also have therapy sessions for the family. I can see that you both are adjusting to this change, but it's always good to talk to someone else."

"I think I'd like that," Gibbs said plainly, shocking Tony.

"Jethro, never would have pegged you for a talking kind of person."

"Normally I'm not, but she's right, it might be good to just talk. The time we spent talking, I got a lot off my chest, but there…well, just look at the other night when I was being an ass."

Gibbs could see that Tony was almost moved to tears.

"Please, Tony, don't cry. I think you might want one as well."

"Yes, I think I'd like that. Now, what happens next?"

"Well, we have a few dogs to choose from. Do you have a breed in mind?"

"No, not really, never gave it much thought."

"Well, right now we have a Golden Retriever, a Black Lab, two German Sheppards and a St Bernard."

"Really? You have a St Bernard?" Tony was almost vibrating.

"Yes. We normally don't use that kind of breed, being they're a bit larger and their coat is thicker, but she was a rescued animal we found at a shelter and she is one of the best students we have."

"Tony, are you okay? You're shaking."

"I love that breed, they're just so lovely."

"Then it's settled. I'll just warn you this isn't just a pet, this is now your best friend and is there to help you."

"I understand, ma'am. It's just that I've always liked that kind of dog. Does she have her own barrel under her chin?"

Gibbs did a small head slap.

"Thanks," Tony said with a smile.

The woman smiled as she stood. "This way, please, and we'll meet Cappuccino."

Tony started flat-out laughing, holding his stomach from laughing so much.

"What's so funny?"

"There is just irony in that name," Gibbs said as they were walking down the hallway.

"Can I ask why?"

"Because I drink coffee like the next cup will be my last. We have a warm pot at all times in the house."

"Oh, okay, that is rather funny then. This way."

Tony could hear the barking as they got closer. Gibbs picked it up soon after. Linda stopped at the door.

"Okay, so this is our kennel. It might get a little loud at times."

"It's okay, I understand that."

They both entered. Gibbs saw the larger dog that Tony wanted and they walked to the cage. Tony pulled out his cane from his jacket pocket and took it out. Gibbs let go and Linda opened the cage and Tony used the cane to guide him into the cage. The dog, the moment the cane came out, stopped her barking and walked up to the man and was letting him feel for her. Tony went to his knees and started petting the dog. An intense bond was formed, right then and there.

"Okay, Tony, there are a few things that we would like to go over today, before you and Cap leave, like how to handle her and feed and care for her in your first day's course and how to walk with her. Think you're ready for that?"

"Yes, please."

Tony was getting a kiss from the larger dog. Linda walked over to a wall and got the harness for the dog and the dog went into work-mode. She put the harness on the dog, Gibbs making sure to pay attention to how it went on. Then she led them out to a large room and met up with a younger man who started walking Tony threw his courses for the day.

Tony was tired after the working and caring for the dog. He was handling the dog very well and trusting to the dog was a big deal and Gibbs knew this. He walked behind them but Tony had led the way; he had to make a statement.

They had a list of things that were needed for the care of the animal. Gibbs didn't take any of the stuff there, he wanted to make sure they stopped and were getting the stuff from the pet store on the way home. Bill, the man who put Tony through his paces and would be Tony's instructor from now on, gave them directions to the local PetCo in the area.

"You know who's going to love having her at the house," Gibbs said after getting them into the car.

"Who?"

"Kelly, she loves dogs."

"About her. When is she coming over again?"

"I think in two weeks. I have her for a week during Spring break from school. I have to call Shannon and see about it."

"Jethro."

"Yes?"

"Never mind, I'm not going to say it."

"Tony, we're not starting that. What were you going to say?"

"I was going to say I'm not worth you losing your daughter over."

"Well, I'm not losing her, and you're worth a lot to me."

"I know, and I didn't say it."

"I'm glad to hear that you're starting to see that you DO matter."

Gibbs drove over to the pet store and they walked in, Tony using what he'd just learned with Cappuccino and how to let her guide him just like Gibbs was. They walked to where the dog food was and Gibbs picked out the brand that he was told was best for her as well as he was talking to a clerk there and he suggested that they get her an elevated food bowl and not to worry about how she might drink out of the toilet but if not they got her an elevated water dish as well. Bill at the center said a few toys would not harm her since she was still a dog and needed her play time as well. All work and no play made for a very bad combo. They also got her some treats. Gibbs noticed that they did grooming and they went over and Tony did the talking about setting up an appointment for every six weeks to bring her in for a bath and shapeup. They also would teach them how to groom her, making sure to get her undercoat out.

"No, Shannon, you're not pulling that. Visitation…You have no rights….No, I get her for that time and you damn well…You know what? Talk to my lawyer." And Gibbs hung up the phone.

Tony, now done with his talking, walked over. "She's not letting you have visitation."

"No. I need to make a call."

"Jethro, let's go outside, please."

"I have-"

"Jethro, trust me, okay?"

"K."

And they walked up front and paid for it all and took it and put it in the trunk.

"Is there a small amount of grass around here, Jethro?"

"Yes, there is."

"Lead me there, please."

Gibbs guided Cappuccino to the grass as Bill had shown him to do.

"Okay, now, please, sit."

"What?"

"Sit, on the ground, please."

Cappuccino was already sitting following the command she'd just been given, even if it wasn't for her.

"The ground is wet, Tony."

"Jethro, please."

Gibbs rolled his eyes and relented to his younger lover's wishes. After he was on the ground, Tony said the word that let Cappuccino know she was able to stop working and it was now time to play and the first thing she did was lick Gibbs' face for being on her level. Gibbs started laughing and stopped the dog. He got up and then pulled Tony closer. Cappuccino was now confused and barked at what she perceived as an attack, but Tony gave the command for her to sit and stay. She followed her training and Gibbs kissed his lover right there in public.

"Jethro, someone might see."

"Then let them see. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For coming into my life and knowing how to make me relax." Gibbs kissed Tony another time. "Now how about we go home and I call my lawyer. You want to drive or do you want me to?"
Chapter End Notes:
thanks for all the Feedback from all you great readers.