- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I borrowed the title from one of Queen's song...
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs is hiding something... or someone
Chapter 1.
Tom.

Gibbs was late. For the first time since he was working with him, Tony was begining to worry for his boss. He knew that the older man would come in soon, yelling at him because he was not at work. But he couldn't help this strange feeling telling him there was something wrong. To be honest it was not the first time he had had this kind of feelings...since Kate's death...

He was always worrying for the member of the team...He was worrying for Abby when she was alone in her lab, he was worrying for Ducky when the ME didn't tell him at least two of his favourite stories each day, he was worrying when McGee didn't wince at one of his stupid joke...
Hell he was even sometimes worrying for Ziva even if he suspected that the younger woman would have been perfectly able to defend herself without anyone...

Today it was Gibbs...Most of the time it was about Gibbs. He had realized that his feelings for his boss were not only inspired by the respect he had for him almost a year ago. He had thought at first that he was only trying to impress him but he soon realized it was more than that...

Lately the older man had become more secret if it was possible. Tony had always been able to tell if something was wrong only by the way Gibbs was looking at him. He had seen the sadness and the sorrow in his eyes at Kate's burial. He had felt the guilt and the anger in his voice. But he had also understood the hidden questions his eyes had silently asked him...

Questions he would have answered if the Gibbs had asked them out loud... "Why her instead of me?"... "Why didn't I kill him when I had the occasion?"...
"Because he knew you would suffer from her death"... "Because you are a too good man to do that"...
But Gibbs had never asked and he would never do that. He had kept his guilt deep inside and was wearing it on his face since the day they had said their last goodbyes to her.

This time he knew it was something else... At work Gibbs had always been concentrated. He was the best investigator he had ever worked with, the best man he had ever met. But he had surprised him making personal calls...
It was not something unusual but when he had asked him who it was Gibbs had not answered... He had not even told him to mind his own buisiness. He had ignored the question and looked away trying to avoid Tony's gaze. It was not like him to avoid him like that especially when Tony was being too curious...

He looked at his watch... now he had reasons to worry... Gibbs was an hour late. Ziva and McGee were playing with their computers as if they had not noticed that their boss was not here yet. Those two were amazing... He knew that if he asked them if they knew where Gibbs was, they would find something to say explaining him being late.

-Did any of you notice that Gibbs was almost an hour late?
-He must have had an appointment outside...
-Or he could already be here somewhere...
Tony sighed... they haven't even looked up from their computer to answer him.
-He had no appointment, Probie or he would have told us...
-What if it's not work related...
-Because you think that Gibbs would have an appointment with his dentist during work hours...
Tony raised his hand before McGee could reply.
-And he is not here "somewhere" because I already asked and he didn't sign in today...
-So...? He is late...
-Ziva, you have some things to learn about Gibbs. He is never late...
-Tony is right, Ziva. But he could have been delayed by something important...
-He would have called ...
-So what do you propose, Tony? Should we call the police?
-Very funny, Officer David!

Ziva was still smiling when she looked back at her screen and McGee couldn't hide that he was also happy to have found some help in Ziva to face Tony. He knew he could rely on her when Tony was bothering him with some of his jokes.
Tony took his phone and tried for the hundredth time to call Gibbs' cell. Still no response.

He was about to go to Director Sheppard's office to ask her if she knew where Gibbs was when his boss entered the room. Something was definetely wrong... Gibbs was not shaved, he was wearing the same clothes than yesterday, he was visibly angry at something or someone but what Tony saw first was his right eye...blue and swollen.
McGee was like Tony... frozen at the sight of their boss... his eyes asking the same question. Ziva was still bent over her keyboard and she spoke without looking up.

-Hi Boss. Tony was climbing the walls and was about to call the police...
-No need to call the police. I spent almost all night with them.
-What...?
She stopped mid sentence when she saw Gibbs' face. She looked at her two co-workers who hadn't moved. Tony was standing up behind his desk one hand still on his phone, McGee was still frozen, his two hands on his keyboard.

-Close your mouths! And go back to work!
They didn't make a move still staring at Gibbs. None of them dared to ask the question which was almost burning their lips.
They were still in the same positions when Abby walked to Gibbs's desk.
-Gibbs! Where were you? You told me you wanted my report at 0800 this morning and it's already 0900...
Gibbs looked up at her ready to answer her question but she talked first.
-What happened to your eye?...And where have you been?
-Stop, Abby! Let's say I was at the right place at the right moment...
-What...? You were in a fight...? Hell I don't want to know what you did to the other guy!

Gibbs smiled at the younger woman's reply. Abby had always told what she was thinking. She was unable to lie or to hide her thoughts and sometimes her mouth worked even faster than her mind.
-He is fine, Abby... About your report, it can wait until tomorrow. I have to go back to the police station...I would be home this afternoon if you need anything...call me...

Tony couldn't stay silent any longer. Gibbs had been in a fight with someone strong enough to hit him at least once, he had spent the night with the police and now he was telling them that the job would have to wait because he had more important things to do...
-Why do you have to go back to the police? I mean if you spent the night at the police station and if they let you go...
-It's not about me, Tony.
He had at least answered. The answer was not satisfying at all but he had not try to avoid it and he had not yell. It was a good sign.
-Who is it? The guy who hit you?
-No, Tony.

Gibbs didn't give him time to ask his following question. He stood up from his chair and walked to the elevator leaving the four of them wondering what was happening. Tony was trying to find for what reason Gibbs could give up his job... even for some hours...
Abby was the first to talk.
-What's wrong with him?
-I don't know, Abby. But I'm sure he is hiding something important from us.
-Tony! It's Gibbs you are talking about... he is always hiding something...
-I know that Ziva but this time it's something or someone important enough to fight for and forget about his job for some hours...! You understand now why I'm worried.
Ziva didn't answer. She knew Tony was right. She had had some informations on Gibbs' past that her co-workers didn't know about and it made her even worrier in front of her boss' attitude.
-So... what do we do, now?
-We wait until this afternoon, until I find some excuse to go to his house...
-You think he would tell you what really happened?
-Give me some credits, Ziva. I know him...
-Sure, Tony...
Tony did as if he had not seen the doubt behind Ziva and McGee's smiles. He knew Gibbs and he was aware that the older man would never tell him what was wrong... but he had to try. He couldn't let him alone if he was in trouble.

Ducky was the one who gave him the perfect excuse to go to Gibbs' house. The ME called him around noon asking him if he knew where Gibbs was because he had found the file he had asked him to find. The older man had refused to say anything else but Tony had convinced him that he'd better go and tell him what he had found.

-But I can't go now. I have this autsopy to finish and Mister Palmer can't do it alone...
Tony smiled looking at his phone. He could almost picture Ducky in his lab, trying to find a solution. He let him think for a moment before saying....
-I finished my report and as the boss is not here, there is nothing more I can do today. I could go to his house and bring him this file.
-Good idea, Anthony! Just come here when you are ready, I would give you the file I wanted him to read.
Tony didn't answer and hung up.

-What makes you smile like that Tony?
-Ducky just gave me a reason to go and check on Gibbs.
-I see you didn't change your mind!
-No, Ziva. I didn't.

Tony was aware that Ziva was hiding things from them... probably things Gibbs had told her not to share with anyone. And it was not easy for him to know that his boss, the man he was in love with, didn't want him to know about some parts of his past.

He was also aware that Gibbs didn't owe him anything...The older man didn't know about his feelings and if he had something to say about it he would never know about them.
Tony didn't want to imagine how Gibbs would react if he learnt one day that a member of his team was in love with him... even thinking those words made him shiver.
He had fallen in love with his boss... He had made a lot of mistakes in his life but this one was the biggest one maybe. He couldn't do anything against that... He couldn't fight so strong feelings. The only thing he could do was to keep them hiden and try his best to help him.

He waited half an hour before going down to Ducky's lab. The ME was at his desk writing his report on the autopsy he had just finished.
-Hi, Ducky.
-Hi, Anthony. You came to take the file for Jethro?
-Yes, I finished paper work for today and I thought I could go now.
Ducky stood up and faced him. The older man seemed to have something to ask.
-Do you know why Jethro stays home today? It's not really like him...
-I know and I think he is hiding something from us...
-So you are going to check if he is fine...?

Tony smiled at his friend. He couldn't hide anything to Ducky. The ME had always been able to read his mind.
-No, Ducky... You know that Gibbs would never allow me to do that.
-Maybe. But I'm giving you something to hide behind if he begins to yell at you...
-You know him too well...
Tony was about to exit the lab when Ducky caught his arm.
-Anthony, could you keep me informed...? I admit I'm a little worried for him. He is not the same since Caitlin's death...
-I know, Ducky and don't worry I'm going to take care of him.
-I'm sure of that, Young Man...

Tony didn't really understand what Ducky's smile meant but he had no time to ask. He got out of the building and ran more than walked to his car.
Ten minutes later he was parking his car in front of Gibbs' house. He walked to the front door and hesitated before knocking. He was not sure that Gibbs would be happy with him being here but he couldn't go back to his car and do as if everything was fine. He needed to know... So he knocked... Seconds later he heard footsteps coming to the door... but it was not Gibbs who opened...

In front of him, was standing a young man... a teenager. He would have been unable to give him an age.
Judging by his height he would have said he was fifteen or sixteen but he seemed to be older... The way he was standing in front of him reminded him of some other young men he had met when he was a cop...Teenagers sometimes children who had grown up too fast living in the streets and working in the same streets.
Tony was not the kind of man to run too fast to conclusions but he could have bet that this young man had not spent much days at school lately and much nights home with his parents for a long time... The next question that he needed an answer to was what did he do at Gibbs' house...

-What can I do for you?
It could have been an innocent question but the tone he had used was not innocent at all. Tony didn't know how to answer and he was relieved when he heard Gibbs' voice coming from the kitchen.
-Who is it?
-A silent man... but you don't need to talk when you are so hot...
He had only said the first part out loud...the second one had been reserved for Tony's ears only.
-It's me, Boss!
-"Boss"! I didn't know you liked to be called "Boss" !

Gibbs hadn't wasted time as he had heard Tony's voice.
-I already told you there was no need to play your little games with me, Tom.
-Ok, Gibbs! I'm going to let you with your "friend"!
The young man Gibbs had called Tom turned to face Tony.
-Let me know if you are tired to play with the old man...
Tony was so stunned that he didn't find anything to reply to him. Tom walked upstairs and closed the guest room's door behind him.
Gibbs had not moved and he could see that Tony would need some answers even if he knew that the younger man would never ask one of the hundreds questions that were running to his mind...
-Sorry, Tony. I didn't want you to meet him this way.
-Can I ask one question?
-Only one...? Let's go inside first.

Gibbs walked to his couch followed by Tony who was not sure he had knocked at the right house... Or maybe it was the Twilight Zone... It reminded him of an old episode he had watched years ago...

Gibbs interrupted his thoughts.
-So, What was your question, Tony?
-Who is this young man?
-Tom.
-Yes I already know that. But it's not what I asked. Who is he for you?
-Tom is my son...
Chapter End Notes:
I borrowed the title from one of Queen's song...