- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony is trying to help Gibbs and Tom. But are they ready to let him help?
Chapter 2.
Thomas L. Brennan.

Tony couldn't decide what to do next. He was in Gibbs' living room, on his couch, hearing him say that he had an almost fifteen year-old-son. He had guessed that something had changed in Gibbs' life lately... He had become more quiet, thoughtful... But a son...
-Your son?
It was the only sentence he was able to build right now. His brain was running fast, too fast maybe and the only things he had in mind now were more questions... Questions he didn't dare to ask.
-Yes, Tony. But he doesn't know I'm his father.
-Why? ...How? ... What?
-You are trying to make a list of the hundred way of asking a question...?
-Sorry Boss. But I can't think clearly for now. I have too many questions...
-I'm sure there are some of your questions I couldn't even answer. I've been a little surprised myself. A lot happened in a short period.

Tony stood up. He had to move to clear his mind. It had always worked this way for him. Intellectual and physical activities went together... He needed to do something while thinking especially when he was confused.
-You are telling me you only recently discovered you had a son ?
-I received a mysterious call two weeks ago telling me my son was in danger. I didn't believe the man at first but he told me I had to help this kid or he would soon be dead. I asked him the kid's name and that's when I began to have some doubts.
-Don't tell me his second name is Jethro?
-No... at least I don't think so. But his family name is Brennan... his mother's name...
-Oh, I see. You realized you have well known his mother... But it doesn't mean he is your son, Gibbs.
-I know Tony. but it was enough to have doubts. I couldn't ignore that call and do as if there was no possibility that this kid could be my son.
-So, what have you done?
-I began searching for him and his mother. But I found nothing…That's when I received a second call giving me an address…That's where I found him.

Tony knew that Gibbs was hiding important parts of the story but he was aware that all this situation was not easy for the older man. He couldn't blame him.
He suddenly remembered the file Ducky had given him. It was certainly not a good news if it was what Tony was thinking it could be. But he couldn't hide it from Gibbs.
-Ducky gave me that file for you.
Gibbs took the papers Tony was holding him out. He opened the folder and Tony was surprised to see him hesitate before reading it.

Tony stood up giving the older man some space and time. He was walking around the room when he heard someone coming down the stairs. Tom was there and for the first time he could see the child in him. The teenager had not seen him. He was observing Gibbs and Tony couldn't not see the arrogance he had witnessed previously.

He realized for the first time that the kid had Gibbs' eyes. Tom must have felt Tony's gaze on him because he was now looking directly at him. He had put the mask on once more. Tony was frozen by that smile…This kid was trying to seduce him and Tony was feeling sick thinking about what it meant.

What had happened to him? How a child could become…? He knew well how this kind of things could happen. No parents, no home and one day he had fled from his foster family or from the orphanage they had put him into. Then he had certainly met people who had showed him how he could make money easily…God knows he had seen many lost kids when he was a cop…

Tony looked back at Gibbs. The older man had put the file on the coffee table and was staring at his hands. He was way too still. Tony didn't know what had happened to this kid or his mother but it was obvious that it was hard for Gibbs to face the fact that he had a son he knew nothing about…
-Boss, Are you ok?
When Gibbs looked up at him Tony understood that what he had just read had shaken him. Tony had never seen so much sadness in his eyes before. They had to talk but Tom didn't need to hear about it.

-Tom, could you leave us alone a minute?
That smile again…This kid was lucky he had no time to tell him what he was thinking about it…For now he had a friend to take care of and this man was more important for him than anyone else.
-Anything you want, Cutie…!
Where had he learnt to talk like that? Tony would have laughed if the situation had not been so tragic. He sighed and gave the kid his hardest look… The one which meant "no need to try!".
-Just shut the door and turn the music on…
-You don't trust me ?
-Just to be sure…

Tom walked back to his room and closed the door. Tony could hear the sound of music and he was surprised to hear the sound of opera…he couldn't say which one it was. One more cliché he would have to forget about…teenagers were not all "noise" addicts. The words was from his father. He could still hear him say that the music he was listening to had more to do with noise than real music.

-His mother had always loved opera.
Gibbs had used past tense to talk about her.
-What's in this file?
-It's the autopsy report of Ann Line Brennan, dead two years ago and the report of this investigation which had followed.
-I'm sorry, Gibbs. How did she die?
-The report says that she had been beaten to death. It also says that she had several fractures which were not completely healed when she died…

Tony knew what it meant. This woman had been bashed regularly but this time it had been the last. Then Tony realized what Gibbs had told… She's been dead for two years…It implied that Tom had been in the streets for almost as long. And before that he had lived with a man who had probably abused his mother…

Tony could see that Gibbs had come to the same conclusion.
-Did they find who did that?
-She was living with a man for five years. They think it was him but they could not find any evidences before the man went away…
-What happened to the kid after that?
-It's not in the file but I can guess he had not been placed in a good family…

Gibbs had stood up and was pacing around the room. Tony could feel the anger radiating from him now.
-They didn't even search for him…They let him go like that…He was only thirteen, Tony.
-You have nothing to blame yourself for, Boss. You didn't even know you had a son…
-I know it's not my fault. That's not what I was saying, Tony…
-I heard you well, Gibbs but I also heard what you didn't say. And I would repeat it until you really believe me. There's nothing you have done…
-He is my son, Tony.
The older man had almost yelled but he soon calmed down thinking that Tom didn't need to learn it this way.
-A father is supposed to protect his child…
-Yes, most of the time that's what they are supposed to do. And that's what you are doing now and what you are going to do for the next years… He needs you…

Gibbs sighed heavily…Yes Tom needed him, he needed someone to take care of him. Someone who could help him be a child again…
-When I found him he was about to follow a man… I don't want to imagine what he had to do for the last year…I put him out of the car. I can tell you the man was not really happy about it…
-Yeah, I can still see it on your face.
Tony gave him a reassuring smile trying to help him go on.
-Tom didn't say anything, didn't move. He followed me without a question. I told him I didn't want to hurt him. He only smiled doubtfully and looked back at the road.
-What are you going to do now?
-I don't know Tony. I think I have to talk with him about what happened in the last yearand about the fact I think I'm his father…
-I have to ask one question. I don't want you to think I doubt you but are you sure he is your son?
-Not 100 percent, Tony but everything matchs…his age, the name his mother gave him and did you really look at him… And I not talking about the way he tried to seduce you.

Tony didn't know what to tell him. Yes he had looked at this kid and he had seen what Gibbs was talking about…This kid had his eyes… but it was not enough to be sure…
-Tom is fifteen and you knew his mother well…
-You can say that, Tony. Ann and I had been friends for years before trying to become more but it didn't really worked between us for many reasons…So we decided to go separate ways… I don't if she knew she was pregnant but she never told me anything. I tried to keep contact with her but she moved to another State and I didn't hear from her since that day…

-So, you could be his father if we only look at the dates but I'm sorry to say that but she could have met someone after or even have been with someone else before…
-I know that Tony... even if I don't think she would have done that… But there is his name…
-What's with his name. Tom Brennan …?
-His full name is Thomas Leroy Brennan…
-Ok, I must admit it would be weird to name his son after an old friend if this old friend is not related in a way to this kid… But it's still not a proof.
-I know he is my son, Tony. I feel it. I don't know how to explain it but I was sure of it the moment I saw him…The moment he looked at me…

Tony could hear the emotion in Gibbs' voice. It was obvious that the older man was fighting with many different feelings right now. Tony wanted to help him even if he didn't know what he could do.
-What can I do to help you, Boss?
-Nothing Tony…You don't have to be a part of this. I have to deal with it alone.
-Oh no, you are not going to push me away like that, Boss. I know I have no right to interfere like in your life but you are going to need someone at your side…And I want to help you and Tom.
-Tony…

The younger man gathered his strength and faced Gibbs. He had never done that before. Gibbs was not the kind of man you wanted to bother but Tony knew he had to do that for Gibbs, for this kid and for himself…
-You won't push me away this time, Jethro. I'm your friend and that's what friends do for each other…You are about to tell this kid who thought he was alone that you are his father…I'm sorry to say that but I don't think he would take the news too well…
-What are you suggesting, Tony?
-Let me talk with him…
-I need to tell him myself, Tony. How could I ask for his trust if I'm not honest with him on that matter?
-I won't tell him anything. I just to talk with him, to show him he could trust me…
-I don't see how it could help?
-I've dealt with kids like him before and he needs to know that not everyone is like the people he had met…
-What are you trying to say, Tony?

Tony knew what he had to say but he was not sure Gibbs was ready to hear the truth.
-Tom had been obliged to sell himself to survive and I'm sure he didn't decide to do it himself. There is someone behind that and believe he must be scared right now…
Gibbs was speechless… He had not thought of the consequences when he had brought Tom here with him. Of course there was someone behind, someone to gather the money won on the pain and the soul of innocent kids…
-I can offer him my help, Gibbs.
-I can do that too.
-No, Gibbs you have to be his father and only that for him. I will be the cop…
-How can I be his father Tony…?

The younger man couldn't answer that question.
-I don't know, Boss. But I will be here for you.
-Why?
The question had been asked in a whisper and Tony was not really sure what Gibbs wanted to know.
-Why what?
-Why are you doing this?
"Because I love you" was the answer he wanted to give him. Of course he would never say that. He didn't know how Gibbs would react but he didn't want to take this kind of risk. This man was too important for him…
-Because you need the help of a friend, because I know what Tom has been through and I'm sure I can help him.
Tony knew that the answer had not satisfied Gibbs. The older man had seen that Tony was hiding something from him…
-Thanks Tony. you are right Tom will need help from someone else than his father…

-What the two of you are doing behind my back…?
They had not heard Tom coming in. The teenager was facing them… and now Tony was sure he was Gibbs' son…this anger, this coldness in his eyes…he had already witnessed it in Gibbs' eyes.
-Tom. There is something I need to tell you…
-You think…?
-Tom I didn't want you to learn it like that…
-Sure Gibbs. You wanted to wait for the right moment to tell me that…

Tony didn't want to intervene but he had to help Gibbs.
-Tom! Gibbs only wanted to be sure you would be able to hear about it…
-And who are you? His gigolo…?
-I'm his friend and yours, Tom.
-My friend… I don't have friends… I don't need friends…
He turned to face Gibbs and put all the anger he had in his voice.
-And I don't need my daddy to save me… I'm doing good alone…
Before they could do anything Tom had run out of the house.
Chapter End Notes:
I borrowed the title from one of Queen's song...