- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I don't know how it came to my mind, I just thought it must be hard to be deaf over night. Anyway, thanks to Eva for the help with the bunny. JOIN NCIS ROLEPLAY!!!!! http://nciscrimes.proboards103.com/ garanty: case focused roleplay
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony wakes up in a hospital with no memory of the last three days but they certainly weren't good.
Bump, bump...bump bump...bump bump...bump bump

Tony didn't open his eyes. It was loud but he couldn't make out any real sound. All he could hear was the constant rustle and the light bump bump.

He slowly opened his eyes. Maybe he would see what makes the noise. But there was nothing. He lay in a plain white room, there were curtains and a window but nothing what could make such a sound.

He looked upwards and saw the monitors. He was sure he was in a hospital, he had seen these machines before and normally they made beeping sounds but all there was was a fine line bouncing up and down in the rythm of the bump bump he heard. But it wasn't the sound of the machines, it was the sound of his very own heart.







„DiNozzo! Get your ass over here!"

Gibbs called from the elevator down to Abby's lab. Tony didn't lose time in following his boss. In the last weeks he had done enough to piss him off for a year.

The elevator hadn't moved a single floor before Gibbs switched the energy button.

„The Director wants you on a case."

Tony frowned. The Director of all people at NCIS liked him the least and would be glad to kick him out, but prefer him on a case?

„Me? Madame Director wants me?"

Gibbs nodded and shook his head at the same time.

„She asked me for the best for this case and I said you."

Now Tony was even more surprised. Not that he still thought that Gibbs didn't think much of him but he never expected the other man to say it that open.

„So? What is it?"

Gibbs sighed. Somehow Tony could tell that Gibbs didn't like that case, or more the way Madame Director intented to solve it. Since she was there she was more intervening than usual for a Director and Gibbs hated that.

„There are some Marines we suspect to smuggle drugs from Cuba into the states."

„On a ship? I mean one of the Marines?"

Gibbs nodded again.

„Listen, She wants you to go on board as a Petty Officer. Try to make friends with them and find out as much as possible. The problem is, when you're there, you're on your own, mostly at least. You can't keep contact with us as you're used in undercover."

„That's ok, really, boss."

Gibbs nodded once more and switched back the button.

„So this talk was only about that?"

„I wanted to ask you first. As I said, you're the best for the job, but I told her that before I knew what it was about. A stupid mistake I always do around her."

The doors opened and Gibbs went to his desk as if nothing had happened.











Tony woke from his uneasy sleep. He could smell saw dust and a heavy perfum but still he couldn't hear anything but his own heart beat and the rustle.

He looked around and saw Gibbs. Next to him there was a small woman in a white coat. Her lips were moving but no sound came from her.

„What, I ...I..."

Tony stopped. He didn't hear his own voice. Panic shot through his veins and his breath became hard. His lungs were hurting like hell and he thought he would suffocate.

Then he felt big hands on his shoulders pushing him gently into the pillows and a mask was put over his mouth and nose.

He opened his eyes and saw Gibbs holding him down with gentle force. He relaxed a bit and his breathing became more even and his heart beat in his ears slowed down.

He saw Gibbs talking to the young doctor and she left. He pulled out a pad and a pencil. Then he started to write.

„Tony, you remember anything of the last three days?"

Tony read the words, then wrote something on his own. He took time in the writing since his hand was shivering and even without that his hand writing was hard to read. He could have said it but without his voice in his ears he couldn't believe it was still there.

„Only that you sent me undercover. Gibbs? Why can't I hear?"

He saw Gibbs face darken when he read the words.

„Your eardrums burst. The doctor can't tell if it's temporarily or permanent, at least not yet."

„I'm deaf?"

Tony said but he didn't hear anything and by the look of Gibbs face he must have yelled. The older man patted his shoulder and nodded. Then he took the pad and wrote.

„I'll help you through this if you want me to. I'm very sorry Tony. Very sorry."

Tony looked up and saw the hurt and guilt in the other man's eyes. He handed back the pad and put his hand on top of Gibbs‘.

„I'm sure it isn't your fault! But I guess I'll need some help."

Gibbs returned the small smile and rubbed over Tony's shoulder to signalize him that it's ok to sleep. All those pain pills very heavy so Tony drifted into sleep.

And all he could hear was his own heart.

Bump bump...bump bump...bump bump...
Chapter End Notes:
I don't know how it came to my mind, I just thought it must be hard to be deaf over night. Anyway, thanks to Eva for the help with the bunny.