- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Working late one night, McGee gets a phonecall telling him thta his four year old son is in hospital.
They were going to be working late, again. A murdered marine was found in a park, religious symbols made from blood had been drawn on to his body. The Director had been pressuring Gibbs and Gibbs in turn had been pressuring everyone else.
Both McGee and Tony sat at their desks while Gibbs was in a private meeting with the Director and Ziva had gone on yet another mission to find coffee. It was 19:30 when McGee's phone started ringing.
"Special Agent McGee." he answered briskly. Tony looked up, hoping they had gotten a lead.
"What! How?" McGee all but shouted into the phone. Seeing McGee turn an odd shade of white Tony decided to listen closely.
"Oh my God. Where is he now?" having gotten his answer McGee sighed. Tony raised an eyebrow, this didn't seem to have anything to do with the case.
"Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can. If he wakes up tell him I love him." McGee stated quietly, quickly hanging up.
Tony snorted a laugh as McGee quickly called Abby.
"Abby's Amazing Lab of Magic, this is Abby." came her voice through the line.
"Abby, it's me, listen I need to borrow your car." Tony raised his eyebrows even higher, no one borrowed Abby's car, not even if you were sleeping with her.
"Wow, Tim, you know I don't lend my car to anyone." she replied, curious as to why Tim would need her car considering they were working on a hot case.
"Please Abby, it-" McGee paused, "its Seamus, he's in hospital and-"
"Oh my God. I'll be right up!" Abby yelled and quickly hung up.
McGee didn't waste any time and quickly started gathering his things. Tony stood up and started slowly walking up to McGee, ready to tease him.
"What's up McGee, boyfriend in trouble?" he joked.
McGee stopped what he was doing and looked at Tony. Tony watched as McGee approached him slowly, actually looking dangerous for once.
"Don't you dare comment on something you know nothing about! You are the-" McGee stopped short as he saw Abby get out of the elevator looking worried. McGee almost ran to her.
"Look, tell Gibbs that a family matter has come up. If you have to tell him exactly that's okay, just, yeah. And well, thanks for the care and all, I- it's just that I-I-"
"Tim, it's fine, do you want me to come with you?" Abby asked knowing that Tim was distressed and couldn't put a proper sentence together.
McGee breathed deeply, trying to calm his nerves.
"No, no. But I don't know how long I'll be- I need to wait for test results and everything."
"Do they know what is wrong with him?" Abby asked, almost afraid to ask.
"Beth- Beth said they suspected an epileptic fit." McGee swallowed, "I need to get going. Thanks again." and with that he ran down the stairs, not bothering to wait for the elevator.
Abby looked like she was going to cry as Tony, who had been listening to the whole exchange, wondered over.
"What happened, who is Seamus, his boyfriend?" he asked again jokingly. Abby turned to stare at him.
"I never believed him when he said it was never a good idea to tell you guys." she simply stated.
"So he really is-" Tony started but Abby quickly cut him off.
"Seamus is Tim's four year old son. Now if you'll excuse me I need to find Gibbs." and she left, leaving a bewildered Tony standing in the middle of the squad room floor, his mind not working.
***********************************************************************************
McGee sat in the hard plastic hospital chair watching his son. If he blocked out the machines, the bruises on his face and the beeping of machines his son almost looked like he was sleeping. Seamus Timothy Lynch was a small boy for his age. He had short, spiky black hair that he had gotten from his mother, and had his fathers green eyes and facial features as well as his pale skin.
Hearing the door open McGee looked up and saw Beth, Seamus's baby-sitter walking in.
"Tim! I am so sorry! I didn't know what do, I just- he was asleep and suddenly he was shacking and he wouldn't stop and-"
"Beth, it's okay, you did the right thing." McGee assured her, sitting her down on the chair he was on a minute ago.
"What do they know?" Beth asked sniffling. She had become attached to Seamus in the near years she had been looking after him. Because his father often worked long hours she would stay with him when he wasn't at school and often until his father came home late at night.
"I don't know, we'll just have to wait." McGee sighed, stroking his son's black hair.
**********************************************************************************
Gibbs came out of the Director's office to find Abby pacing up and down the corridor.
"What's wrong Abs?" he asked, knowing that it had to be bad news if she had been waiting for him instead of talking to the others.
"It's McGee, he's had a family emergency, and he had to go to hospital." Abby quickly said, knowing Gibbs wouldn't be happy with the answer, not with their current case.
"He what! He knows we have a case." Gibbs yelled, quickly going down the stairs to the squad room, Abby helplessly following.
"I don't care what's happening, get him back here. Now." Gibbs said finally sitting down at his desk and staring at Abby.
"Gibbs he can't leave the hospital." Abby persisted nervously.
"Why not? He better have a good reason." Gibbs demanded.
Abby looked at Tony and bit her lip sighing knowing that she had already told Tony who was standing up and coming over.
"It's his son; he had to be taken to hospital." Abby sighed at last.
"His what?" both Gibbs and Ziva asked at the same time. Ziva, haven gotten back with coffee a few minutes before wasn't sure she had heard right.
"I know. Weird huh." Tony scoffed, "all I know is that we got a call from someone named Beth and he took off." Tony finished shrugging.
"Abby?" Gibbs barked turning to face her, wanting more information.
"Tim has a four year old son. Seamus Timothy Lynch."
"Lynch?" Gibbs queried.
"Seamus's mother's surname," she replied quickly, knowing that Tim WOULD NOT want the others knowing about Seamus's mother.
"Say Abby, how do you know so much about him?" Tony grinned, waggling his eyebrows at her.
"Tony, could you please stop acting immaturely, McGee's son could be very sick." Ziva snapped, having got over her shock. In all her background checks she had never found this out about McGee. He must have hid it well.
"Right, Tony, Ziva- get back to work. Abby go down stairs and get Ducky. You two go to the hospital, see what's happening. What do they suspect?" he finished.
Abby took a breath, "suspected epileptic fit."
Gibbs swore softly.
***********************************************************************************
Entering the morgue Abby found Ducky doing the autopsy on the murdered marine. Abby stopped; she had completely forgotten that they had a case.
"Why hello Abigail, to what do I owe the pleasure?" he asked in his soft British accent.
"It's McGee, we have to go to hospital, Gibbs' orders." Abby stated, not bothering with full sentences. "I'll explain on the way." she quickly said seeing Ducky's worried look.
"Oh dear, is Timothy okay?"
"He is, but his son isn't." Ducky raised his eyebrows and followed her out.
**********************************************************************************
"Well it appears that your son has had an epileptic fit in his sleep Mr. McGee. He got here just in time. Has he been experiencing any chills, headaches, unusual eating habits?" Doctor Beart asked. McGee starred at the man that had saved his sons life.
"He has been a little cold lately, maybe shacking a little, but nothing major. I should have noticed something!" McGee berated himself whilst he held his sons hand, breathing deeply.
"How long until he wakes up?" McGee quietly asked.
"It should be no more than a few hours at the most. He is just resting at the moment, his body is trying to repair itself. After that we shall run a few tests and then we can discuss with both you and your son how this will affect both of you. He should be out by around lunchtime tomorrow," just then his pager went. Picking it up Doctor Beart quickly read and excused himself, leaving McGee alone with his son.
***********************************************************************************
Abby was driving the coroners van at full speed, trying to get to the hospital. Ducky sat next to her, holding onto dear life. Just as they pulled up at the hospital Abby's phone rang.
"Abby." she quickly answered, not bothering to look at the caller I.D.
"It's me." came McGee monotone voice over the phone.
"Tim! Listen, Ducky and I are coming up now, Gibbs sent us. They know- sorry." Abby apologised as she hurried through the sliding doors, ducky trying to keep up with her.
"Ducky's with you?"
"Yeah, I'll explain when I get to Seamus's room, what one are you in?"
"Umm, children's ward, level 4, room 131." McGee rattled off.
"Okay, be there soon." Abby said hurriedly and hung up, turning around, trying to find Ducky.
"Come on, Tim is expecting us." she hurriedly said, racing off to the elevators.
"Clam down Abigail my dear. It won't help Timothy to see you stressed as well." ducky warned as the elevator doors closed. "Now tell me more- what is this about Timothy being a father?"
"Yeah," Abby smiled weakly. "He's name is Seamus, he is so smart! He reminds me of Zach, that child we looked after but he is only four. He means the world to Tim, what if-"
"Relax my dear. He will be fine." ducky quickly reassured her as the elevator stopped at their floor. Abby jumped out and quickly went in search of the room.
***********************************************************************************
McGee didn't hear them enter the room, he was too busy concentrating on Seamus who had woken up a few minutes previous.
"Daddy, who is that?" Seamus tried to ask but his throat hurt too much because of the tubes. Startled McGee quickly turned to see Abby and Ducky standing at the door. He gave them a small smile and turned back to his son.
"You know Abby silly." McGee smiled and continued. "And that's Ducky, remember how I told you about him. He's the doctor."
"Hello Ducky." Seamus smiled and tried to wave but he had hurt his hand and winced. McGee stroked his hair in comfort.
"Hello my boy. It is lovely to meet you. How are you feeling today?" Ducky smiled, approaching the bed whilst taking in the small version of McGee.
"Confused and tied." Seamus answered honestly. Turning to his father he complained.
"Daddy, my head hurts." Ducky looked at McGee properly for the first time. He was paler than usual, and his eyes were red-rimmed.
"I know. But the doctors will be coming soon to do some tests and then you can sleep." glancing at Abby who had yet to move from her space at the door he turned back to his son.
"You know how I say that Abby is always happy and never tied?"
"Yeah, you say that she has too much life in her for a Goth." Seamus replied, smiling.
"Well, try and be like her for a little while. You're always happy and never tied aren't you Abby?" he asked, looking back to her hopefully. Seeing the haunted look in his eyes Abby smiled back at McGee and bounded over to Seamus's bed.
"Of course I'm happy Timmy. What's happening Seamus?"
"Nothing much. I'm really bored and my head hurts. I want to go home."
"I know you do, but the doctors have to say you can go before you can go." Abby replied sympathetically, sitting on the bed.
Seamus looked directly at Ducky, thinking. He looked so much like Timothy that Ducky had to smile.
"Dad says you're a doctor, can I go home?" he asked simply. At that Ducky and Abby both chuckled and McGee smiled weakly.
"I wish I could let you go home but I'm not that kind of doctor."
"Well, what kind are you?"
Ducky hesitated, not knowing how to tell a four year old child that nearly died that you cut up dead people every day.
"Do you remember when Fluffy the fish died a few months ago?" McGee gently asked, saving ducky form answering. Seamus nodded and McGee continued.
"Well, sometimes when people die we don't know how they died and we want to know why. Now do you remember how Fluffy died?" he asked again gently.
"Yeah, I wanted to play with him but he couldn't breath." Seamus nodded.
"Exactly, so Ducky finds out how people died, because sometimes we don't know." McGee patiently explained. Ducky looked on amazed as he watched the young boy think it over and accept the answer. Ducky smiled, realising just how much time Timothy spent with his son.
"Daddy I want to sleep." the little boy mumbled, his eyes already drooping.
"Okay, when you wake up the doctors will want to talk to you." McGee sighed.
"Will you and Abby be here when I wake up?"
"Of course we will little man." Abby smiled and leaned over to ruffle the young boys hair. Within minutes he was dead to the world, his body continuing to try and heal itself.
**********************************************************************************
As soon as McGee knew that his son was asleep he turned to Abby.
"Do they all know?"
"Yeah, I had to tell them. I'm sorry Tim." she said anxiously.
"That's okay, they had to find out sooner our later." he sighed.
"Timothy do they know what is wrong with him." ducky quietly asked.
"Epilepsy. They just need to run a few more tests to be certain but it looks that way." McGee replied in a whisper, not taking his eyes off his son.
"And how old is he?"
"He turned four last month, remember Abby?" McGee weekly smiled.
"Yeah, that party was so cool!" she replied, going to sit next to Tim, slowly running her hand over the back of his head in comfort.
Ducky slowly stood, gathering his things. "I shall go and find his doctor and find out what is going on, I shall then have to ring Jethro. You should be proud Timothy, your son is amazing for his age."
"I do what I can." McGee shrugged looking at the floor. "could you tell Gibbs that I will need at least a week off?"
"Of course." ducky replied and the left, leaving Abby and Tim alone with Seamus fast asleep.
***********************************************************************************
"Abby can you go back to my place and pack a bag of clothes for Seamus and I?" McGee asked after they had both finished comforting each other. After first meeting Seamus when she went to Tim's house late one night not being able to sleep only to find him typing at his type writer with a little boy curled on his lap fast asleep, Abby had instantly liked him. He shared his father's love of computers and had an inquisitive mind, even for a four year old although he acted many years his senior.

After finding out what had happened to his mother Abby seemed to become his foster mother in a way, coming over on the weekends to just hang out with the two of them or taking just Seamus out so Tim could go into work. It hurt her to see Seamus lying in a hospital bed, with what was probably epilepsy. It hurt even more to see Tim the way he was, sick with worry but trying to keep it all together.
"sure, anything." she quickly replied, glad to be doing something.
***********************************************************************************
Ducky headed down the corridor in search of the doctor that had helped Timothy's son.
‘I shouldn't be surprised I suppose,' he though to himself, ‘Timothy loves the boy death. He speaks to him as though he is an adult, and has amazing conversational skills. I wonder where his mother is?' he internally pondered. Seeing a doctor strolling down the corridor he quickly asked.
"Excuse me, I was wondering if you could direct me to the doctor that was in room 131, a Seamus Lynch?"
"That would be me." the small doctor replied. "dr. Alan Beart, and you are?" he asked over his glasses.
"Ahh, my name is Dr. Mallard, I work with your patients fathers. Timothy is a little busy at the moment so I have come to get your prognosis." ducky smiled hopefully.
"Certainly, this way." he smiled.
***********************************************************************************
Abby pushed the door open and stepped into Tim's apartment. The main part was as clean as ever with Tim's computers continuously running and his work desk spotless, bar the few crumpled attempts at his typewriter. Walking through into what many people thought would be Tim's room Abby calm to the ‘family room' where all of Seamus's things were spread out. Lego littered `the floor and drawings everywhere. Smiling Abby continued on and saw the two doors, one for Tim's room and the other for Seamus's. walking into Tim's room she grabbed the duffel bag he kept in the closet and started packing a few things and then went to Seamus's room and grabbed some clothes and a few games for him. Abby remembered the first Tim she had gone to Tim's place and was shocked by the size of it. Tim told her that when he purchased the place he had gotten two and joined them, providing both him and Seamus with more than enough space.
Walking back through the kitchen Abby stopped when she saw Seamus's favourite Monster breakfast cereal on the bench. Quickly picking it up she thought of something else that could cheer the young boy up.
***********************************************************************************
After finding out that Seamus Timothy Lynch had had an epileptic fit, fractured his wrist, had three stitches in his head and would have to take three pills a day for the rest of his life, Ducky decided to call Jethro.
"Gibbs."
"Jethro its me." Ducky said, walking into the family room of the hospital, and suddenly being surrounded by brightly coloured walls with animals and toys littered on the floor,
"What's happening?" Jethro briskly asked.
"Well it would appear our young Timothy has a son, quiet a bright one as well. You know I never-"
"Ducky! Get on with it!" Jethro barked down the phone, not in the mood for any stories.
"Oh, um, well, Seamus had an epileptic fit in his sleep and has had three stitches and fractured a wrist."
"How old?" Jethro sighed.
"The young lad turned four last month. Quiet the party according to Abigail." Ducky chuckled but quickly sobered.
"Timothy has asked for a week off, he is dealing with it as well as can be expected but-" Ducky trailed off, knowing that Jethro would understand.
"Okay. Tell him he has it and then get back her as soon as you can, we still have a case. Ley Abby stay with him though, I don't know what's going on between them but she wouldn't be working well now." after a pause Jethro asked the question they all wanted to know.
"Mother?"
"I wouldn't know Jethro. Timothy has not mentioned it, and Seamus hasn't asked for her, so I can only assume…"
"Okay. See you later Duck." and Jethro hung up.
***********************************************************************************
Putting his phone down Gibbs looked up and met the eyes of both Tony and Ziva, both wanting to know more. He slowly relayed the information.
"He has a week off and Abby is staying with him tonight. Now get the reports done and then you can go." Gibbs said as he stood and began to make his way to the Director's office.
"wow, Probie sure is milking this for all it's worth." Tony stated to Ziva. She just stared at him.
"Tony! McGee's son nearly died and he has to be on medication for the rest of his life and you think he is being unreasonable in asking for a week off? Amazing, absolutely amazing." she huffed as she turned back to her computer.
"what? All I'm saying is that we are the one's that will have to pick up the slack. There's no need to go off at me." he tried to defend himself. Ziva didn't reply.
***********************************************************************************
Upon reaching Seamus's room Ducky saw the doctor he had spoken to earlier exiting and decided it would probably be best if he waited a minute before entering. Seeing a sign for a cafeteria he decided to buy something to fill in the time. Awhile later Ducky stood up and made his way to Seamus's room where he stopped at the door and watched Timothy hold his son.
"Daddy why is this happening to me?" Seamus asked in a small voice.
"You remember that time you asked me what happened to mummy?" Timothy asked, his voice scratchy.
"Yeah." Seamus said in a small voice.
"And I said it was because one day when she went to the shops and some bad men took her and some other people and how she got scared. And how I'm so lucky to have you because you nearly died in her tummy, but she couldn't make it. Well, they told me because of what happened, you are now even more special than anyone else." Timothy finished sniffling.
"I'm sorry daddy, I'm sorry I made mummy go away." Seamus cried.
"Hey, don't talk like that! You know I love you right?" timothy said hugging his son.
"Yeah."
"Good, now Abby should be coming back soon hopefully she had bought you something to play with. Do you want to play cards?" Timothy asked, changing the subject.
Ducky stood outside the door, a tear gliding down his cheek.
**********************************************************************************
When Abby walked into drop of Tim and Seamus's things she found the three of them playing poker.
"Hey Seamus! I see that my card playing ways are coming in handy and to think your dad didn't want you to learn." Abby smiled at Seamus as she pretended to glare at Tim. Seamus giggled.
"Well, I best be off, it is getting late and I must see mother. It was lovely to meet you Seamus." ducky smiled as he stood up. "Timothy I suggest you get some sleep, you to Abigail."
"Thank you for coming Ducky, it meant a lot." Tim said sincerely standing up.
"My pleasure dear boy." looking back at Abby who was learning how to play Seamus's game he smiled. "He really is remarkable."
"Yeah, he's great. Thank you for coming."
**********************************************************************************
After Ducky had left McGee turned back to his sons bed.
"Seamus, see that clock on the wall, can you tell me what time it is?" he asked and watched his son try and figure it out, knowing that he could.
"Ummm, 11:…30." Seamus replied after deep consideration and counting of fingers.
"That's right, very good and could you tell me what time you normally go to bed?"
Seamus looked guilty.
"7.00."
"Exactly. You've had a big day and tomorrow e get to go home and I've taken some Time off work so we can spend some time together, okay?" McGee smiled as his son yawned.
"Okay. Good night Abby." Seamus murmured.
"See you in the morning little man." Abby smiled.
***********************************************************************************
When McGee knew that his son was indeed asleep he turned to Abby.
"You really should go home."
"And you really should sleep, but you aren't going to." she quickly replied smiling. McGee sighed.
"Fine, you can have the spare bed, I'll sleep in the chair."
"Tim, I'm not letting you sleep on a chair. We'll share the bed, it's not as if we haven't before." she pointed out. Tim sighed and mumbled something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like he was coursing Abby for being practical and that Seamus should see them in the same bed.
***********************************************************************************
Tony got off the elevator trying to get to his desk before Gibbs noticed that he was running late. As he stepped out of the elevator he ran into Ziva, getting into the elevator.
"We have another case?" he asked knowing the they had rapped up the religious marine one the night previous- WITHOUT Probie's help.
"Nope, Gibbs said we could go visit McGee for a while…and you will be nice." she chided him before he could say anything.
"Remember Tony, children don't like you." Tony gritted his teeth.
***********************************************************************************
"Hey Seamus, I just need to go and see Dr. Beart okay so I can find out when we can go home. Will you be okay until Abby gets back from getting her breakfast?"
"Dad, I'm not a child." Seamus grinned as he shovelled another mouthful of monster cereal in his mouth. McGee chuckled as he left the room. A few minutes later Seamus looked up to find two people watching him.
"Are you Seamus?" the women asked in a foreign accent.
Seamus nodded.
"Hey, I'm Ziva David, I work with your father." she smiled as she entered the room. Turning to look at the man behind her Seamus stated-
"You're Agent DiNozzo."
"Yeah, that's right." Tony smiled and turned to Ziva. "see kids love me. Any bet McGee tells him heaps of cool stories about me." Tony grinned.
"My father was right about you." Seamus observed, starring at Tony. Tony's grin quickly faded and he frowned as Ziva burst out laughing.
"I think I like this kid." she said mildly and went to sit down on one of the chairs.
***********************************************************************************
Abby had finally gotten her croissant at the café with the cue a mile long and was heading back to Seamus's room. Upon entering she saw Tony sulking in the corner reading a children's book and Ziva talking to Seamus,
"What are you two doing her?" she asked upon entering.
"Abby! Tony is just like daddy described him." Seamus giggled as Tony looked visibly wounded. Abby couldn't help but laugh.
"And what else did your daddy say?" Abby asked pretending to be stern.
"To not tell Tony what I said. But I didn't I swear!" Seamus quickly said, trying not to get in trouble.
"Good boy. Have you seen your dad?" she asked
"He wasn't here when we arrived." Ziva quickly replied. "Seamus was just telling me about his school," she continued.
"You go to school already? Aren't you a little young?" Tony asked.
"I go to a school for young children who have a higher I.Q. than the average child their age." Seamus replied.
"What are you doing here?" a voice asked from the doorway.
Everyone in the room turned to see McGee standing in the doorway, his eyes darting between Ziva, Tony and Seamus.
"Daddy! Tony is jus like you described him!" Seamus giggled. Tim blinked and slowly stepped into the room.
"And to think you didn't believe me." he murmured quietly, smiling slightly.
Noticing the tension Ziva quickly spoke up.
"Seamus was just telling me about the kind of school who goes to."
"Yeah, he, ahh, goes there because he showed advanced intelligence and because of my hours. Listen guys-"
"We were just leaving, anyway. Ziva quickly cut McGee off se he didn't feel bad about asking them to leave. She could see the bags under his eyes and knew he needed some rest. As she stood up Tony did also and decided to ask a question.
"Hey McGee, where is his mother? I mean, you're her, and you've never mentioned her before. Did she leave."
Silence followed. Tony had only been joking but he quickly realised that he was in big trouble. McGee had that same cold look he had had on after he had first got called and yelled at Tony.
Ziva grabbed Tony's arm and started dragging him out of the room.
"Where she has gone is none of your business Tony. You think you are something to be idolized with your ‘witty humour' but you're not. No one likes it, everyone is sick of it and it just isn't funny. You have no right to come in here and ask me about my life. You have no right to know my life! You-"
"Calm down Tim." Abby quickly cut in jumping off the spare bed and going over to him. Trying to distract him she asked what the doctor had said about leaving while Ziva dragged an angered Tony out of the room.
"He's fine. We can go home." Tim replied shortly. Turning to his son he let out a deep breath.
"I'm sorry you had to see that buddy."
"It's okay daddy." Seamus replied in a small voice.
*************************************************************
Tim sat in the passenger seat of Abby's car as she drove along, playing Seamus's new CD. Glancing in the back Tim saw that Seamus was asleep, curled into as much of a ball as the seatbelt would allow.
"Would you be able to stop off at St. Mary's cemetery?" Tim quietly asked, folding his hands in his lap and looking down.
"Sure." Abby replied without another word knowing that Tim wouldn't want to talk about it.
*************************************************************
A couple of minutes late McGee was making his way through the well known path of the cemetery, carrying a small bunch of flowers. He stopped at the far corner, at one of the last graves in that section.
Sitting down he read the tombstone inscription.
‘Emma Troi Lynch. Beloved daughter and mother to a son she never met.'

"Hey Emma. How are you? Yeah…that's good. Listen, Seamus isn't that well at the moment…"