- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate's ex-fiancé come back in her life !
They were working on this case for two weeks now. A petty officer had been murdered in his house in Alexandria and they'd found a suspect who seemed to have a strange bond with him.
Gibbs suspected a drug trafficking but they hadn't found any proof yet.

So here they were, at 3 o'clock in the morning, in a car, in the middle of a residential area, keeping their suspect's house into surveillance.

This guy didn't seem to have a life ! It was the third night they were watching him and everyday, it was the same scenario : he would come back from work at 7 p.m. to only go out again the next morning to pick up his newspaper and go to work.

No visitor. Apparently no friends or family.

Kate would have felt sorry for him if his lack of private life wasn't dangerously encroaching upon her own.

It was not that she disliked going on a stake-out. Actually, she almost enjoyed it when she was with Gibbs like today.
Contrary to Tony, he was never the one who dozed off and being close to him for a few hours was always a pleasure, especially for a few months, their relation seemed to be stronger, more enjoyable and easier than ever.

He didn't seem to have a problem with her personal questions anymore, he still rarely answered them but easily tolerated her curiosity and smiled to her own sharing of stories and memories.

For her part, she now always let him finish her coffee and without any protesting groan or disgusted look anymore !
She felt comfortable with him and enjoyed every moment they shared.

But still, staying awake, watching a desperately quiet house, wasn't her favorite way of spending a night.

" Remember me why we're here. Nothing's ever gonna happen, Gibbs ! This place is hopelessly dead after 8 p.m." she sighed and blinked, trying to suppress a yawn.

" I know Kate ! But something's wrong with this guy, he's involved in strange business and we're definitely gonna find out…" he stopped, his stare suddenly focusing on their suspect's neighbour's house.

" What ?" Kate asked, turning her head, wondering what had drawn his attention away.

" What's this ? On the rooftop ?"

She finally found the spot that had obviously bothered Gibbs and smiled at his suspicious streak.

" This, Gibbs, is a teenage boy." She stated, matter-of-factly.

He turned to look at her in disbelief.

" And why would a teenage boy be on a roof at 3 a.m. ?"

" Don't tell me you never did that when you were young…er !"

He cocked an eyebrow at her and she wasn't sure if it was because of the situation or the slip of her tongue.
He stared at her, obviously waiting for an explanation as she smiled sweetly, a rush of memories popping in her head.

" I… used to do that a lot as a teenager."

" Really ?"

" Well" she continued ignoring the ‘do I have to worry about your mental health ?' look that appeared in his eyes. " you know, when you grow up with four siblings, especially three older brothers, it's not always easy to find a place to be alone ! And, okay I know it's seems weird… but a rooftop can be actually a good place to… be alone and… think."

The corner of his mouth lifted up and she recognized the familiar twinkling in his eyes, he was mocking her !

" Stop that !" she whined, indignantly.

" Stop what ?" he asked with mock incredulity.

" This… thing ! You're laughing at me !"

" Did you see me laughing ?" daring her to acquiesce with raised eyebrows and wide opened-eyes.

" Yeah, inwardly !" she replied smartly, narrowing her own brown eyes.

He chuckled softly at her indignation. It was way too easy !

" I told you to stop that !"

" Okay, okay." He shook his head, progressively regaining his seriousness.

Suddenly both their attention were drawn to a black BMW which parked in front of their suspect's house.
A stocky man slipped out of the car and was met by their suspect on the threshold.

" See I knew something was finally going to happen !" he smiled triumphantly, his attention focused on the mysterious visitor as she stuck her tongue out at him.

" Get that back in your mouth, Todd, and take photos !" he mumbled humorously still not looking at her.

She rolled her eyes and complied.