- Text Size +
Ducky had been the first to notice her engagement ring and he had immediately acted like the proud father.

He'd told her how he thought Mark was a good man and how truly happy he was for her. But yet, she had seen something behind his pleased gaze. She couldn't really put her finger on it but it seemed like something held him back to completely give in to pure joy about her decision.
She'd tried to ignore the question in his eyes though, there was no reason this wasn't the good choice.

Abby was really excited about the whole thing and had already begun to plan the wedding ceremonial, it seemed like the Goth had a romantic streak after all.

Tony, for his part, had acted exactly like her over-protective brothers had six years ago. Trying to know more about Mark, to make sure he was good enough for his ‘little sister'.

And she hadn't seen Gibbs, the whole day, she knew though that her not-so subtle co-workers had let the news slipped. Still, she didn't know what had been his reaction.

After their ‘little disagreement' the day before, she hadn't been able to get him out of her thoughts. Of course, since she'd met him, he'd always been in her mind, one way or another, but even when Mark had proposed to her, their argument had been in the back of her mind and she'd angrily wondered why she should care about a man so narrow-minded and unpleasant when she had, by her side, a nice man who wanted nothing more than to make her happy.

When she'd fallen asleep in her fiancé's arms, her thoughts were still for her stubborn boss and she'd begun to find this hold he could have over her, even when he wasn't actually with her, very frustrating.


She was looking for her keys in her purse when she heard a low voice behind her.

" I heard about the good news."

She turned around to be faced by the infuriating subject of her thoughts, just a few inches from her. She shrugged then slowly nodded.

" Hmm… yes."

He stared at her for a few seconds then took another step towards her and slowly raised his big right hand to take her small left one and examined the sparkling jewel.

" Nice !"

" Yes.. it is, thanks." She softly replied looking at their joined hands. " Gibbs… about yesterday…"

He sharply raised his head, looking at her angrily, memories of their previous discussion coming into his head.

" Yeah, Kate ? What do you have to say ?" his sharp tone cutting her apologies and she suddenly remembered all the reasons why she had been so angry at him the day before.

" Nothing, forget it !" she then turned toward her car, cursing him under her breath.

" Wait we haven't done with it !" his furious tone ringing out in the air.

Before she could reply, she felt a strong hand on her arm and her back hit her car's door, Gibbs' two powerful hands firmly held her face while he violently took her upper lip between his and sucked on it hungrily.

Kate, completely taken aback by his action, uncontrollably whimpered and opened her mouth, offering him more access. He immediately responded by taking possession of her mouth, entirely, his tongue unashamedly caressing hers as her hands lightly stroked his firm chest through his clothes.

They were caught up in the exploration of each other's mouth as their panting breathing filled the air around them. Kate forgot herself and the world apart from them as she tasted the most amazing kiss she'd ever received until she didn't feel his tongue in her mouth and his hands on her face anymore.

Her eyes, which had been closed as soon as she'd felt his lips against hers, progressively opened. For a few seconds she thought she could perceive some uncertainty in Gibbs' eyes until he quickly covered it with his traditional unreadable stare.

" It's late, go home !"

The order was given in a breathless voice as Gibbs was still feeling the aftermath of the kiss but the insensitivity of it let Kate shuddering and astonished.
What exactly had just happened here ?

Before she could even reply, he turned around and she was let alone in the middle of the parking lot with only the vision of his solid back disappearing toward the place where his own car might have been.

She finally opened her car's door, heavily fell on the seat, her head against the headrest, a hundred of questions filling her mind.


************************


The next morning, Kate left her apartment earlier than usually. She hadn't slept at all.
When she'd come back, yesterday, Mark was there waiting for her, she'd feigned an awful headache and gone to bed early.

But she hadn't slept. During the whole night, she'd been torn by contradictory emotions. The guilt for lying to Mark, the anger against Gibbs and most of all his attitude after the kiss but also an other feeling she couldn't really describe, the shiver that travelled her body every time she thought about the kiss and how truly and totally she'd responded to it.

These thoughts had kept her awake all night long and now she needed answers and only one person could give them to her.

That was the reason why she came to work an hour earlier than she usually would. She needed to see him alone to understand.
Had it been just an insignificant kiss ? Or did it really mean something to him ? Was Gibbs the kind of men who realized what they had when they lost it ?

The elevator's doors opened and she made her way to the bullpen, he was already (or still ?) there, sitting on his desk. As he heard footstep, he slowly raised his head making eye contact with her then returned to his work without a word for her.

But she wouldn't let him ignore her so easily, she went and stood in front of his desk, silently waiting.

" What ? he sharply asked, still concentrating on his report.

" Can we talk ?"

" About what ?"

She sighed loudly, he obviously wouldn't make it easy.

" Well, I don't know, what about… yesterday ?"

He put both his hands on his desk and slowly raised his eyes, speaking in a strong yet low voice.

" There's nothing to say."

" There's nothing to say ! That's your answer ?" she couldn't believe he'd actually said that.

" Listen, what happened yesterday was a mistake, okay, it was stupid, just forget it !" his tone, totally controlled, made her understand that his decision wasn't up for a debate.

Kate swallowed with difficulty and unwillingly acquiesced.

" Fine !" she sharply replied before heading back to the elevator, after all she still an hour and today she would need coffee, a lot of coffee.