- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I have only written this chapter...please tell me if I should write more. Any ideas/ criticism welcome...
Author's Chapter Notes:
"It started about a week after Gibbs had left the team" McGee gets seriously ill, can they find out what is wrong with him?
It started about a week after Gibbs had left the team. Tony had yet to find a replacement, everyone knew why but said nothing, understanding that no one could fill the void that was left.

Every now and again he would have flashes of pain in his head. Always on the left. He found himself stopping suddenly, dropping something to clutch his head, grinding his teeth in pain. After that came the fatigue. He would feel immensely tied, even after sleeping for hours, and he wouldn't be able to move. Occasionally he would go to Abby's knowing he wouldn't be able to drive only to collapse in her coffin knowing she was angry for the lack of ‘entertainment‘ and worried as well, and when that didn't work he would just sleep on the mattress in her lab. He had taken to having even more clothes in his locker se he would avoid the questions.

He had considered going to the doctors to get a prescription of sleeping pills but health evaluations were coming up and he didn't want to explain it. He didn't want to be weak.

***********************************************************************************

Three weeks after Gibbs had left and he sat at his desk trying to calculate just how much he had slept and how often his headaches were occurring over the past couple of weeks. He knew Abby was getting worried but he didn't know what to say to her. Tony and Ziva seemed to know something was wrong, probably because of the circles under his eyes and the shaking of his hands. They could see that his clothes had stopped fitting him and they hadn't seen him eat in a couple of days because everything had lost it's flavour and he threw up half the time anyway. Yet they said nothing, not wanting to draw upon a problem because then they would have to deal with it, and no body was up for tat, at least not yet.

***********************************************************************************

Six weeks after Gibbs had left the problem came to a head.

The Director called a meeting in her office to discuss the lack of replacement and was demanding answers. None of them wanted to be there, knowing no one could ever replace Gibbs but as the Director told them, "we don't need another Gibbs, we only want another one, and that is what is stopping you all".

As they got up to leave, in a sombre line. Tony and Ziva were discussing the latest case at the front and Abby was behind them muttering about all the work she had to do he suddenly felt faint. Trying to grasp onto Abby's arm as he fell his world was going grey at the edges and pain was taking over his body.

And then there was nothing.

***********************************************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
I have only written this chapter...please tell me if I should write more.

Any ideas/ criticism welcome...