- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs worries when Tony doesn't come back...
Gibbs looked at his watch for the third time in the past ten minutes. The hands showed 1.20 p.m. Then he looked over at Tony's desk. It was empty. Tony was still not back from lunch. Gibbs reached for his phone again and hit the speed dial for Tony. After four rings it went to voice mail, ‘Hey, you've reached….' Gibbs slammed the phone down, causing Ziva and McGee to look up from their work. Not that they were getting a lot done. They also kept looking over at Tony's desk wondering where their teammate was and why he'd been acting so strange all day.

Gibbs was just about to call Abby, when his phone rang. He picked it up and started yelling,
"DiNozzo, you better have a damn good excuse for being late! Where the hell ARE you???"

The other end of the line was quiet for a few seconds. Then a female voice answered
"…uhm… excuse me? I'm Doctor Meredith Parker and I'm calling from Port Smith Trauma Center. I'm calling for Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs?"

The voice stopped. All colour drained from Gibbs' face and he felt like his heart skipped a beat. McGee and Ziva had stopped working when the call came and all their focus was now on their boss. They were alarmed by Gibbs's sudden change in voice and colour.

"That's me" Gibbs answered, his voice several decibel lower but still strong and firm.

"I'm calling to tell you that Anthony DiNozzo was admitted to the hospital half an hour ago, and you're listed as his emergency contact."

"How is he?" Gibbs demanded to know almost before the doctor could finish her sentence.

"I'm sorry to say but he's in critical condition at the moment. He's being taken to emergency surgery right now."

"What happened?"

"Sir, if you would come down, and then I can explain…" The doctor started, but she was cut of.

"what happened?!?" Gibbs demanded, his voice rose.

"We're not sure. He came in with several gunshot wounds to his chest, abdomen and thigh. I'm afraid that all I can tell you at the moment".

"Thank you, Doctor. I'll be there in 5 min" Gibbs said and hung up. He sighed and looked up. McGee and Ziva were standing in front of him, both looking scared and concerned.

"Gibbs…?" McGee asked.

Gibbs took a deep breath, "Tony has been shot. He's at Port Smith in critical condition"

"What!?!" this time it was Ziva's turn to respond.

"That's all I know for now" Gibbs said, stood up and reached in his desk drawer for his gun, "You two, get on Tony's computer and find out what the hell he was working on. Then find out where he was found, and get over there. Call the locals, and tell them we're taking over the investigation. I'm going to the hospital"

McGee started to protest, "Gibbs, could I…"

Gibbs knew what he was going to ask, and looked at him with sympathetic eyes.
"McGee, I need you here. I want this son of a bitch found right now!" he grabbed his coat and headed for the elevator. "Get down to the lab and tell Abby. Ziva, call Ducky and have him meet me at the hospital." Then the elevator door's closed behind him.

McGee looked at Ziva for a second, his eyes slightly moist. He could see Ziva was sharing his fears.
"Let's go, McGee" she said, and grabbed her phone and called autopsy. McGee then headed for the lab…
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it's a little short:-)