- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Gibbs talk
Chapter 3.
Sunday.

Sunday evening…Tony loved these moments. It was not late but it was already dark outside. Bran and him had spent a nice day talking, walking hands in hands. They were now on Tony's couch; Bran was in his arms asleep. He would have given anything to be able to have more time with him. They had once talked about what their life together could be. They had made plans and hoped for the best.

But nothing of what they had planned had happened. They wanted to get married, to raise a family and grow old together. Instead of that, Bran had been attacked and abused…He had not talked a lot about it but Tony had read between the lines and saw the truth behind the words. He had not needed to hear Bran say it to understand what had really happened.

He wished Bran had told him his name…the name of the monster that had done that to him. He didn't know what he would have done with it but he would have found a way to make him pay. This man had killed Bran…He had not used a gun or a knife but the result will be the same. Tony had never hated someone like he hated this man.

Bran began to move in his arms…another bad dream. Tony held him tighter whispering reassuring words in his ear. He wished he could erase those bad memories from his lover's mind. He wished he could give him the life he deserved but they didn't have a life time…they only had a few months.

-Tony…?
-I'm right here, Mon Ange.
-Don't leave me…
-I won't leave you…You remember that promise we made years ago?

Bran laughed at the memory.
-Tony…We were 12 years old.
-I know but it doesn't mean it was not serious. I promised you this day that I will always be here for you…that we were brothers and nothing could keep us apart.
-I remember…And I made the same promise to you.
-No matter what happens I will be with you and you will be with me.

Bran closed his eyes savouring the warmth of the arms around him. He could have stayed there for the rest of his life. It was the only place where he had always felt safe. Tony had always been the only one able to make him feel loved and secure. It had always been easy between them; they didn't need to talk or explain things.

They were still on the couch talking lightly when someone knocked at the door of the apartment.
-You've invited someone to dinner?
-Nope.
Tony stood up and walked to his door. When he opened it he stayed frozen for a moment searching what he could say. In front of me, there was Gibbs. His Boss was the last person he would have expected at his door on a Sunday evening.

-Sorry to bother you Tony… but I think we need to talk.
Gibbs needed to talk to him. Tony was not sure it was a good idea after what had happened the last time they had talked. He was thinking about telling him what he really thought but you can not tell your boss to go to hell.
-Sure, come in.

Bran stood up when Gibbs entered the living room. He had never met Gibbs before but Tony had so often talked about him that he had the feeling he knew the man in front of him. Tony was standing next to Gibbs and Bran could see the tension in his friend's shoulders.

-Bran…this is my boss…Special Agent Gibbs. Gibbs…this is Bran…
Gibbs noticed Tony had not said who this man was for him but he would not have believed him if he had said "he is a friend". Years of practice in interviewing suspects had taught him how to read body language.

While speaking Tony had moved to Bran's side and even if he was not touching him he had visibly a protective attitude toward him.
-It's a pleasure to meet you Agent Gibbs.
Something in the younger man's attitude was bothering Gibbs. He didn't know what it was… In fact he was well aware of what it was.
This man and Tony were obviously very good friends and probably more than that. It was easy to understand what was bothering him…He was jealous.
He shook the Bran's hand trying to smile but he only managed what must have looked like a grin.

-What can I do for you, Boss?
-I think we have things to talk about…
Bran placed a hand on Tony's arm.
-I think I'm going to take a nap before dinner.
-You're ok?
-I'm just tired, Tony. And you two need to talk.

Gibbs was looking at the two men amazed to see so much tenderness in Tony's eyes. It was obvious they were more than friends. Gibbs' last doubts vanished when Tony put a hand on Bran's face and kissed him softly. He tried to look away but he could not move.

-I will wake you up for dinner.
Bran turned back to Gibbs.
-I hope to meet you again soon, Agent Gibbs.
With those words he walked to the bedroom…to Tony's bedroom. Gibbs knew something had changed in Tony's life and he had come here to find out what it was. He had not expected that…

-What's wrong, Boss?
Gibbs didn't miss the ironical tone of Tony's voice when he said the same words he had himself used two days before. Well, he had deserved it. What could he say now?
-I wanted to apologize for what I said at the restaurant the other night.
That was new…Gibbs was apologizing. Tony was not sure how he should react now. It was not really like Gibbs to apologize even when he was wrong.
-Ok, Boss. If that's all…I have a dinner to cook.

The younger man didn't really want to go on with this discussion…not here and not now. He knew Gibbs had thousands of questions to ask but he didn't want to justify himself especially in front of him.
-No, Tony. That's not all.
-Why doesn't it surprise me?
Tony sat heavily on the couch. He knew that no matter what he would say Gibbs would ask his questions and that he would wait for answers.

-So…What do you want to know?
-Who is Bran?
Tony laughed. You could always trust Gibbs to go straight to the facts. He was not a man to waste time with details.
-I'm sure you had already guessed, Special Agent Gibbs.
-Yes but I wanted you to tell me.
-Why? It would make it easier to understand for you if I say it. Ok…Bran is my lover. We've known each other for years. Is there anything else you need to know?
-To be honest…yes.

Tony knew this discussion would not be easy but he had no intention to let Gibbs judge him.
-What's the problem, Gibbs?
Gibbs stood up and Tony could tell he was getting angry. He had seen him like that before and had always wished never to be the one he was angry at. But tonight he didn't care. If Gibbs was not ok with his relationship with Bran he would let him yell and tomorrow he would ask for a change of team.
-You're asking me what the problem is. I can't believe that.

Tony stood up too.
-Look Gibbs. Bran and I are doing nothing wrong and if it bothers you…fire me, punch me…do whatever you want…I don't care. But I would never let you or anyone else do something that could hurt Bran.
-You don't understand Tony.
Gibbs was now facing him and Tony realized he was very close.
-Yes it bothers me to see you with him…But not for the reason you think…

Gibbs walked away from Tony. He could not stay too close to him. He knew he had to tell him but he could not find the words.
-Tell me why it bothers you then…
Tony could see that Gibbs was not really at ease with the discussion but it was him who had come here to talk. Tony had no intention to make it easier for him.
-You find it shocking to see two men in love, Gunny?

Tony had used those words to hurt Gibbs, to make him react but the older man didn't move and when he talked his voice was calm and clear.
-You could not be further from the truth, Tony.
-So tell me the truth Gibbs. What's wrong? Why did you come here tonight?
Tony sighed when he realized Gibbs would not answer his questions. He had no time to waste with him tonight.

-Look Gibbs, I think you'd better go now. I think we have nothing more to say. I won't try to make you change your mind…
Gibbs was still looking at him and Tony didn't know what to do now. He was walking to the door to indicate Gibbs he wanted him to go when the older man caught his arm. Tony looked up at him and was frozen when he saw Gibbs' eyes filled with desire. He knew he should go away from him before something happens…something they would both regret.

But he could not move…He could not look away from those blue eyes. His heart was beating fast and when he felt Gibbs lips on his he closed his eyes. Gibbs was kissing him in the middle of his living room. It took him a few seconds to realize Gibbs had broken the contact. When he opened his eyes, Gibbs had already turned his back on him and was opening the door. Tony wanted to call him back, to ask him for an explanation but he could not say a word. He only heard the sound of his front door when Gibbs closed it.