- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The NCIS crew begin to wonder about Tony.
Title: Open Doors – Part 5 – Suspicion
Author: Xanfan
Fandom: Buffy/NCIS crossover
Rating: Potentially R/Mature
Pairing: eventually Tony/Xander
Summary: SLASH - When some doors slam shut, others open. Two men with a history of being pushed aside learn that it's the small moments that can change everything.
Spoilers: up to Boxed In, season 3 of NCIS, All of Buffy, post Chosen
Warnings: Slash M/M
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
_____________________________________


"So what's up with you lately?"

Tony looked up from shutting down his computer system to find Abby standing in front of his desk with a look of expectation on her face.

"What?" Tony asked.

"What's up with you lately? You seem different. Not bad different, just different. You seem, I don't know, content or something. And… happy. You hum, Tony. And you've been leaving work on time if we don't have a case. You used to stay late all the time. Sure, you still come back in the middle of the night to catch up on paperwork and stuff, but you go home after your regular late hours if you can," Abby laid out her list of his behavioral oddities succinctly, which was odd in and of itself as the lab tech usually had a roundabout way of delivering information.

Tony just raised his eyebrow at her.

Abby stared back, then a look of shocked delight crossed her face and she screeched, "You've met someone, haven't you?!"

Tony flushed and stuck with the best course of action at his disposal: denial. "I don't know what you're talking about, Abs."

"Oh my God, you have," the goth lab rat said with wicked glee.

Tony sighed. He'd have to find another way to brazen through this. "You're right, Abby."

"I am?" she said in confusion; she really hadn't expected him to fold this easily.

"I have fallen in love. Two words for you, Abs. Big. Screens. This place I go to after work, the walls are covered with them. And each one has a different game or sport on. You can watch European football and American football at the same time… the same time. The best part is they have my favorite beer on tap. It's beautiful," Tony said reverently.

Abby slapped him on the arm in frustration. "There's more to it than that, I know it."

"Honest, Abs, I've just found a cool place to hang out, that's it," Tony said earnestly.

"I'll find out Tony, don't think that I won't," Abby vowed, her black pigtails bobbing as she nodded her head fervently.

Tony just rolled his eyes. He picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder and headed towards the elevator, turning and walking backwards halfway there. "Gotta go, it's half-price wings during happy hour tonight, don't want to miss that."

Abby could have sworn she saw him slump in relief against the elevator wall as the doors closed. She turned towards McGee and Gibbs, who had both been watching the exchange with varying degrees of curiosity and amusement. "I still don't buy it. He's being weird. I know he's always doing the playful banter and teasing thing, but lately, it's been more…real. Like he's genuinely happy with the world. What's up with that?"

"Maybe it's just a really great bar?" McGee offered hesitantly, knowing his evening would not go well if he didn't tread carefully.

Gibbs and Abby snorted in unison at that.

"It could be something, or someone at the bar that is grabbing his attention," Gibbs said blandly.

McGee nodded eagerly at that. "Yeah, there's probably lots of well endowed waitresses to flirt with."

Abby glared at him disdainfully. "You know there's more to him than just his flirting habit, don't you? Tony just does that for fun. It's almost instinctual, he usually doesn't mean it."

Tim looked slightly disbelieving at that. Abby just huffed and turned her attention towards Gibbs. "So what are we going to do?"

"Do?" McGee said from behind her.

Gibbs lips twisted into an almost grin. "Maybe it really is a great bar."

"What?" Abby almost screeched in frustration.

Gibbs continued on unperturbed, "And if it's such a great bar, don't you think we might like it too?"

"Huh?" McGee asked in confusion.

Abby just smirked. "I've got a sudden urge for happy hour hot wings. Don't you?"

Gibbs returned her smirk with one of his own and stood up, heading towards the elevators, trusting his lab tech to follow.

McGee still looked confused, so Abby took pity on him. "We're going to check out this bar, Tim. To see what all the fuss is about, or should I say, who."

Understanding dawned and McGee followed Abby and Gibbs. He couldn't help but feel like this probably wasn't the best idea they'd ever had, but he knew if he didn't go along, Abby would make his life miserable. And maybe he could even keep her out of trouble while he was at it… Nah, probably not.