- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Getting ready for "the date"
Title: Open Doors – Part 8 – Telling Truths and Lies
Author: Xanfan
Fandom: Buffy/NCIS crossover
Rating: Potentially R/Mature
Pairing: eventually Tony/Xander
Summary: SLASH - When some doors slam shut, others open. Two men with a history of being pushed aside learn that it's the small moments that can change everything.
Spoilers: up to Boxed In, season 3 of NCIS, All of Buffy, post Chosen
Warnings: Slash M/M
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
_____________________________________


"So, are you going to tell him?"

Xander ‘eeped' and jumped at the voice, distracted from his examination of his appearance in the mirror. Even after all this time, Angel still got him with the whole no reflection thing. He knew that sneaky vampire just waited around for opportunities to sneak up on him and scare his pants off.

"Tell him what?" Xander asked distractedly as he tried to decide if his shirt went with his pants.

"Xander, you look fine, I picked your outfit out myself. In fact you look better than fine, you look hot. So, are you going to tell him your other job?" Angel asked.

"Other job? I mean, it's not like you can put Apocalypse Stopper and Demon Fighter on your resume," Xander used his traditional distraction-by-humor tactic.

"Xander, look at me," Angel said, then gently grabbed the younger man by the shoulders and turned him around to face him. "Just answer the question."

Xander contemplated Angel's lapel for a few minutes before he spoke quietly. "He's a good man, Angel. For some reason, I really trust him, like instinctually. Tony could handle it, I know he could."

"So tell him," Angel said, his voice equally quiet.

"But it's not just about me. It's about the girls, the coven, Spike… and it's about you. Do I have the right to risk you all because this amazing guy likes me and gives off good vibes?" Xander asked.

Angel tipped Xander's face up to look him in the eye. "Xander, you've fought side by side with Slayers, witches, vampires, Watchers and demons. You have more experience than most of the fighters out there. And the only times you've really gotten in trouble were when you ignored your instincts. When you've followed your gut and your heart, you've saved lives and the world. I trust you. If you say he can handle it and won't compromise us, I believe you. If you want to tell him, tell him. I'll even be your proof."

Xander nodded solemnly, then broke out a wry grin. "Did you ever think back in Sunnyhell that you would be my best friend and we would be sharing touching Hallmark moments in my bathroom?"

Angel just shook his head and chuckled. "More like I thought I'd lose my redemption by strangling you because of your smart ass comments and snark."

"Yeah, a teenage boy and jealousy don't mix," Xander said.

"Jealousy, huh?" Angel smirked.

"I'm man enough to admit I was jealous, but at times, I was also right," Xander said smugly.

"About what?" Angel asked.

"Oh, where to start… .the hair, the lurking, the…"

"I get the picture," Angel said with a slight sulk.

Xander just grinned unashamedly.

"Xander, do you ever wonder about why we never..." Angel began.

"Hooked-up?" Xander finished for him. "Dude, you and I have so much history between us, we could have our own section in the Ancient History Department at Georgetown. Plus you've become my best friend. I learned the hard way that letting hormones interfere with best-friendship is completely of the bad."

"Willow," Angel commented softly.

"We never fully recovered from ‘the fluke', Angel, we were completely different after that. I don't think I could do that again. At the risk of sounding like a chick, I don't think I could lose you. I've lost too damn many friends to risk it. Plus, I'm just not that into you," Xander ended lightly.

Angle cuffed him on the back of the head. Silently, he agreed with Xander's reasoning. He hadn't had a best friend in… ever. Cordelia had come close, but their mutual lust had prevented them from really opening up to each other. And while Xander was certainly hot, Angel genuinely valued the friendship they had fought to develop more than he coveted his ass.

"So, I look good? First date with a slight possibility of naughty touching good?" Xander asked to break the silence.

"Good enough to eat," Angel said with a toothy grin.

Xander gave a growl. "Back away from me with the fangs, Deadboy."

"Fine, you look good enough to screw through the mattress," Angel conceded.

"Just the look I was going for," Xander said with a snicker.

******

"So, tonight's the night, huh?"

Tony looked up from tying his freshly polished dress shoes at his desk to see Abby bouncing and smiling hopefully.

"Yeah, Abs, tonight I am going out with Xander," Tony answered.

"You really like him, don't you?" the lab tech asked.

Tony searched her face and realized that she really cared about the answer. "I really do. He's funny and clever and he gets me. Not a lot of people get me, but he does."

Abby smiled, but it was tinged with a slight sadness. She knew that she had often fallen for Tony's playboy façade, not looking deep enough to see his insecurities or pain. If this Xander saw the real Tony, despite the act, she was going to be his number one fan. "Will you give me details?"

Tony smirked. "Of course. But date-only details, no kissing and telling."

Abby stomped her foot and pouted. "No fair. I want hot guy on guy details."

"I'm sure we'll hear all about it, Tony never has been one for discretion," Gibbs said as he walked around the corner, seemingly out of nowhere, like always.

"I wouldn't say that, Boss. I met Xander almost a month ago, and you didn't find out about him until you tailed me," Tony said as he stood smoothly and headed towards the elevator. He tossed back over his shoulder, "And you should know better than to assume I've told you everything."

"You been lying to us, Tony?" Gibbs called.

"Don't ask me about tellin' lies, Gibbs, unless you're ready to be asked about yours," Tony replied as he stepped into the elevator and the doors closed.

"Good going, Gibbs, he was opening up, and you had to go and be all Gibbs and stuff. And what was that about your telling lies?" Abby pouted.

Gibbs didn't say anything; he just wondered how much Tony had managed to find out about his past.