- Text Size +
Story Notes:
First go at this so please be patient!!
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony is Hurt by his family's past. Gibbs is protective and possesive.
"Agent DiNozzo, there's a call for you on line 2," said Sarah the NCIS receptionist.

"Thanks Sarah," Tony said into the phone and reaching forwards he pushed number 2 allowing him to take the call,
"Hello, Special Agent DiNozzo speaking."

"Hey Tony, its Mike Timms," the voice paused waiting for DiNozzo's response.

"Oh hey, long time. How are you and the family?" Tony said excited but curious as to why his old partner from Baltimore PD would be calling him. Listening closely, Timms told him his family were great and that his wife was expecting their third child. Congratulating his friend Tony asked why his friend was calling him.

From across the bullpen Gibbs was trying to hear what was being said by Tony to the mystery caller. Not that Jethro was possessive or anything, but Tony seemed excited by the voice on the other end of the line. Glancing at the younger man, Jethro decided that he seemed happy enough and went back to reading through the report on his desk.

"Tony�," Mike paused not sure how to say what he needed to, "look I don't know if you've heard or not, so I thought I had better ring you. I saw it in today's paper, Tony, your Mum died yesterday."

The words hit Tony like a slap on the face, "Oh God �No." he gasped.

"I didn't know if anyone had rang from your family, but knowing your father I didn't think they would have. Tony, are you ok? Do you need me to come up there?" Mike waited.

"No Mike, you don't need to come here. Thanks for the offer, can you try and find out when the funeral is and let me know, please."

"Sure anything. Just let me know if you need anything, Ok?"

"Thanks again, I'll speak to you soon," the two men exchanged goodbyes and Tony hung up his phone.


"DiNozzo�Tony," Gibbs paused looking down at his agent, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing Boss," Tony lied. He couldn't tell Gibbs. Couldn't tell him that his beloved mother was dead, that he'd never get to put right everything that had gone wrong, never get to tell her how much he loved her. He would never get the chance since his father had kicked him out of their lives when he had decided to become a cop, a gay one at that and he hadn't seen either of them since.

Gibbs knew Tony was lying to him, he could see it in his senior agents eyes, Tony had never been able to lie to him and until then Gibbs didn't think he ever had. But no matter what his feelings for Tony he knew he couldn't push him into opening up to him. Deciding to retreat for now Gibbs said,
"You know if there's anything you need to talk about I'm here, ok?"

Tony looked up into his boss's eyes;
"Thanks Gibbs." was his simple reply. He knew he would need some time off to attend the funeral but he could go to the director to request that, he didn't think that Gibbs would want to be troubled by his personal life.

Sitting quietly at her desk, Kate had watched the scene as it had unfolded, the profiler in her knew Tony was lying to their boss and his body language was screaming out to her that something had gone seriously wrong in her partners life and it all had to do with the phone call. Looking at Tony she watched him as he watched their boss go back to his desk. She could see the hurt in his eyes, but there was something else too. Need and longing were the only two words she could think of as she observed her partner. Suddenly Tony looked straight at her as though he'd realised he was being watched, he smiled at her and then looked back at his computer screen. Not more than five minutes later Tony couldn't sit there any longer, he needed to get away from their prying eyes. Standing he made his way to the elevator and hit the button that would take him to his best friend.

The noise of her music hit him as he stepped from the elevator into her domain. Standing still he observed her for a moment as she bobbed up and down in time to the music. The tears that had threatened whilst he was in the bullpen were now running down his face. As though sensing someone in the room with her Abby quickly spun around to shout at them for sneaking up on her until she saw her friend. Quickly she crossed the room and gathered him into her arms as he started to collapse to the floor,
"Honey, what's wrong?" she said softly as she cradled him in her arms.

"Oh God Abs�she's dead," he managed between sobs.

"Who is sweetheart?"

"My..Mum," he said quietly, the tears beginning again.

"Oh Tony," she pulled him closer, gently rubbing his back trying to soothe her friend. They stayed there for what seemed like hours until his tears stopped. Easing gently back she lifted his chin until he was looking at her,
"Come on I'll take you home, and we can order a pizza and talk."

Smiling wanly at her he muttered, "Thanks Abs."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About twenty minutes later they were in Tony's living room sitting on the couch with the pizza on the coffee table in front of them.
"I know I don't know everything that went on with your family, but I know that you'll need a friend to go with you to the funeral," Abby paused, reaching over she touched his arm, "I'd like to be that friend if you'll let me?"

"Would you, I really don't want to go back but it'll be my last chance to say goodbye."

Abby could see the hurt in his beautiful hazel eyes but she could also see the fear,
"Sweetheart, I wouldn't expect you to go back there alone, but Tony we need to talk about what happen all those years ago. I need to know what it is I'm walking into."

"Yeah," he sighed, "I guess it's only fair but it's painful, you know. I've tried to put everything behind me but my father has a way of invading my life every now and again," Tony said curling further into the comfort of her arms, safe and loved. He had a feeling he need to be to tell her the whole truth about his father and his childhood.

"Just take your time, you know you can trust me with whatever it is, don't you? You've helped me through some of the worst shit in my life, now it's my turn to help you," Abby said softly, gently she placed a kiss into his hair.
After a couple of minutes Abby felt Tony snuggle closer.
"I was about eight years old the first time he beat me, I mean really beat me. He came in early from work and I was playing on the living room floor with my toy cars. He walked straight through the middle of them, standing on a couple. The next thing I know he had his belt off and was lacing into me. The more I begged the harder he hit me. My mother heard the noise and came running in, she grabbed his arm to stop him so I took my chance and ran to my room. Later after everything had calmed down my mother appeared in my room, she had a split lip and black eye. I guess that was her punishment for trying to stop him," Tony paused as he sobbed, he tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall, taking a deep breath he continued, "after that the beatings became regular, I would try to stay out of the way but, no matter what I did it was always wrong. I think he liked the idea of a son and heir but didn't like the idea of having to raise a child. Something changed the night of my thirteenth birthday; I have no idea what but that was the first night he came into my room. He was drunk, I remember waking as I heard the door opening thinking I was going to get another beating. I didn't dare look so I pretended to be asleep. Before I realised what happened, he had the covers off me and I was pinned face down on my bed. I began to scream, so he hit me. He whispered in my ear that if I didn't keep quiet he would kill my mom. Then he pulled down my pyjama bottoms and forced my legs apart." Tony stopped. He glanced up at Abby; tears were streaming down both their faces by now.
"Oh God Abby..it hurt so much, that was the first time he raped me. After he finished he climbed off me and dragged me up to face him. He said if anyone ever found out he'd kill her. I hurt so much; I crawled to my bathroom and tried my best to clean myself up. I was bleeding and everytime I moved pains shot through my body. The following morning I could hardly move, I hid in my closet so they thought I'd gone to school. I stayed in there all day until it was the time I would normally come home. After a while I blocked out his visits and became more and more withdrawn. Eventually he got bored with fucking me and move onto his young secretary. That was when I was shipped off to boarding school."

"Tony," Abby said softly as her breathing hitched, she was trying her best to control the tears but hearing Tony's heartbreaking story she couldn't help herself, "he can't touch you anymore, you're a grown man and now you can fight back!"

"Abs, I can't. How would I face people if this ever got out! What the hell would Gibbs think of me?!"

"It wasn't your fault, you were only a child. You did what you though was right at the time to protect your mother," she could see Tony digesting her words but she knew his fear of his father was still strong, even after all these years.

"I don't know it's going to be hard enough facing the bastard, he brings up so many bad memories, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do this!"

Abby pulled him tight against her,
"I'll be right there with you, all the way, anything you need, ok?"

"Thanks Abs," he replied quietly, reaching up he gently kissed her cheek. Tony snuggled back down against her chest listening to the sound of her heartbeat. Finally he gave in to his exhausted body and drifted to sleep.

Feeling Tony become more relaxed against her, Abby realised he had fallen asleep. Easing her way from beneath him she laid him down and covered him with the afghan from the back of the couch. Knowing he wouldn't have thought about arrangements she phoned Director Morrow to request time off for Tony and herself, explaining it was for them to attend the funeral. The Director readily agreed and also sent Tony his condolences. That done Abby went online and booked them into a hotel for their stay. They would drive there and stay for a few days. The ringing of Tony's cell interrupted her thoughts, answering it quickly before it woke her friend,
"Hello?"

"Em.. Hi is Tony there?" the voice questioned.

"Yes he is but he's sleeping right now, can I help you?" Abby inquired, keeping her voice low trying not to disturb Tony.

"Possibly, but who is it I'm talking to?"

"I'm one of Tony's friends from work, Abby. And you are?"

"Mike�.Mike Timms, his former partner from Baltimore," Mike proceeded to tell Abby that the funeral would be noon the day after tomorrow at the local crematorium. Abby thanked Mike and told him that she would pass on the information to Tony when he woke up. No sooner had she hung up then the cell started to ring again, the caller ID a very familiar one,
"Hey Gibbs," she answered.

"What� Abby what are you doing with DiNozzo's cell?" asked brusquely.

"Boss man, he needed someone to talk to so he came to me. He's finally asleep and I'd rather not wake him. You know if you lost some the attitude with him once in a while he might have come to you!" Abby giving Gibbs his tone right back. She knew under the surface Gibbs liked Tony but he continued to ride the younger man hard, and right now Tony didn't need this.

Realising he'd pissed Abby off he lessened his tone and asked,
"What's wrong? He wouldn't say earlier when I asked him and then he took off. I'm just worried about him, Abs. He looked so lost!"

"His mum died yesterday. The call he got was from his former partner. He thought he'd better ring because he knew Tony's family wouldn't."

"Why wouldn't they, he's their only son!" Gibbs' curiosity piqued. He knew that Tony came from a rich family and that his senior agent had been disinherited for choosing to become a cop, but still this was his mother why would they exclude him from something so important. There had to be more that Tony hadn't told him and that wasn't in the background check he'd done when he'd hired DiNozzo. "Abs, is he OK?"

"Not really," she replied, a little taken aback by the care and concern now evident in her boss' voice," he's taking it really hard, but I'll go with him and make sure he's safe!"

"Why wouldn't he be safe?" Gibbs quickly said picking up on Abby statement. Thinking to himself he knew he would have to get to the bottom of this, he couldn't let Tony do anything dangerous and something that might result in him being hurt. He knew he cared more than a boss really should but he couldn't help it, Tony seemed to bring out that side of him.

"I �.I�," she paused, "look Boss Man; it's not my place to tell Tony's life to you or anyone, it's his. He needs help to get through this and he asked me, I just hope I can help and be strong enough for him."

"OK Abs, let me know if I can help in anyway and tell Tony that I �" he stopped himself quickly realising that he'd almost said �love him'. "Just tell him if he needs anything! OK Abs?" With that Jethro hung up. His thoughts were running though his head so fast. What sort of trouble could happen to Tony by attending his mothers' funeral? Why would Abby need to protect him? He had to find out and he didn't have much time to do it in!


Chapter 2

The drive to Baltimore wasn't that long but to Abby it felt like an eternity, she had never known Tony to be so quiet for so long. The closer they got to their destination however, the more the tension around Tony seemed to increase but all Abby could do was be there if he needed her.

Gibbs strode into the NCIS bullpen; he was a man on a mission. From what he knew of Tony's family his father was a high powered lawyer in Baltimore and his wife had been a debutant in the society section of town. He would need help finding out the information he needed but was reluctant to involve Tony's co-workers because he was unsure of the details he would uncover. But luckily Gibbs was owed many favours around Washington and he knew just the person to call, dialling the number he needed he waited for the reply,
"Fornell."

"Hello Tobias," Gibbs said smoothly into the phone.

"What the hell do you want now Gibbs!" Fornell all but groaned into the receiver. When Jethro Gibbs called it couldn't be good.

"Now that's no way to greet a friend, now is it? Especially a friend that you can be helpful to!"
Gibbs couldn't resist grinning, winding Fornell up, or anyone from the FBI, was the highlight of any day. "I need your help, how much do you know about DiNozzo's father?" pausing Jethro waited for his response.

"From what I have read about him he is very powerful, highly connected lawyer, but there are a few very big questions over possible links to the Mob. Why? Just ask DiNozzo, surely he knows more about this than us!"

"Look Tobias, I can't ask Tony because he doesn't know I'm doing this, his mother died two days ago and he's going home for the funeral. But there is something not right within that family and I don't want Tony getting into something he can't handle," his voice tightened as he spoke, his worry over Tony and Abby getting the better of him. "Please can you just bring me everything you have, I need to find out?"

"OK, I'll be there in half an hour, after this I don't owe you anything else, Jethro!" Fornell said and then hung up.


Back in Baltimore, Tony and Abby were settling into the hotel room she had booked. It wasn't anything grand but for a few days it would do.

"Are you hungry, sweetheart?" Abby asked as she sat next to Tony on his single bed.

"Not really, but I guess we should. What do you want to do; order room service or go out for something?" Tony asked.

"We passed a diner a couple of blocks back we could go there unless you know of anywhere better; you were the one who lived here remember!" she quipped and nudged him in the ribs trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"There is this one place, it's Italian of all things, but the desserts are the best in the city. How about I take you there?"

"Sounds great! Come on I'll race you to the car!" as she pushed Tony backwards onto the bed and made for the door.

"Hey Scuito, that's not fair!" he complained, but the twinkle in his eye told Abby he wasn't serious and was thanking her for her attempt to lessen his nerves and lighten his mood.


The elevator doors opened and Fornell stepped into the NCIS bullpen looking for Gibbs. This man was going to be the death of him; Fornell wasn't sure how he came to owe all these favours but Gibbs kept asking anyway.

"To what do we owe this pleasure?" Kate asked as he came into view around the corner of her desk.

"Nice to see you too Agent Todd!" he smirked as he carried on towards Gibbs' desk. "Jethro, I have that information you rang about, is there somewhere more private we can talk? And I don't mean in your �office', somewhere more civilised than the elevator for once!"

"Yeah sure Tobias, follow me," Jethro stood and they made there way to the nearest interrogation room. When they entered Gibbs closed the door behind them, "Ok, what do you have?"

"Look I'm not happy about this, I know DiNozzo can be a bit of a pain in the arse but this�" he said as he gestured to the folder he placed on the table between himself and Gibbs, "..This is just�" he couldn't say anything more, what he'd read in the file had disgusted him. How anyone could do something like that to their own child was beyond him.

Jethro reached forwards, shocked by the look he saw in Fornell's eyes. The file was about three inches thick and contained anything and everything on Tony's family that the FBI had managed to dig up when trying to find a way to prosecute DiNozzo Snr. The blood drained from his face as he read through the file, it wasn't so much the details on the old man but the information about Tony and his mother that made Jethro's blood boil. There was hospital report after report, broken arms, broken collarbones, cuts, bruises and various other abrasions, all documented over a period of about five years. Working back Gibbs figured that Tony must have been about nine years old when it started. He paused and looked up at Fornell,
"How the hell was this bastard not prosecuted for this, anybody can see the systematic abuse of his child and his wife!"

"It just proves that with enough money you can cover anything up! If you can find anything that would help me put this animal away I would be most grateful. But Gibbs�." he paused, "Tony is walking into that funeral tomorrow with only a girl to protect him, and I suggest you get yourself to Baltimore, I have a feeling that he will need your help! It might be good idea to take Todd along as well; you have no idea what this guy is capable of."

Standing to leave Fornell took one last look at his old friend, "You really need to sort this out and then tell that boy how much you care about him!" and with that he left.

Waiting a couple minutes, Jethro digested the information he'd taken onboard,
"Kate you can stop hiding out there and come in," he said looking into the one way glass towards the recording booth of the interrogation room.

Kate slipped into the room and sat down in the chair Fornell had just vacated. Gibbs looked into her eyes,
"How much did you hear?"

"Enough�..you know he feels the same way about you don't you!" Gibbs eyes widened at her statement, "I'm not a profiler for nothing, but right now we both need to get to Baltimore. We can't let him go through this alone."

"How do we find out where we need to go?"

"If we do a search on Tony and Abby's credit cards, surely they have to have used them either for gas or plane tickets or whatever, come on I'll get McGee to help." With that they both headed back to the bullpen. Kate set about tracking the two of them whilst Gibbs headed to MTAC to speak to the Director. He needed to have his team taken off rotation for a while until he could get this sorted out. Tom Morrow had know Jethro Gibbs for a long time and knew that unless it was important he would never have asked for the time so, he would give him and the team whatever leeway they needed.

When Gibbs returned from MTAC, Kate and McGee had located the hotel as Abby had used her credit card online to book the room and they had also located the crematorium where the funeral would be held the following day. By now it was getting quite late so they decided that they would grab something to eat and fresh clothes suitable for the funeral and would drive overnight to get there. They decided that they would go straight to the funeral and meet Tony and Abby there. Kate climbed into the car beside Gibbs and McGee made to get into the back,
"What the hell are you doing," Gibbs grouched at him.

"Look Boss, Tony is my friend and I won't pretend that I know what is going on, but it's something serious. I want to help and also Abby is there and �.well I ..." Tim nerve failed him as Gibbs raised an eyebrow at him.

"You want to protect your girlfriend!" Gibbs grinned at him. He'd know for a while that Tim and Abby had been dating, he knew it broke his rule 12 but as long as work didn't suffer what could he say! It would be hypocritical of him to reprimand them when he wanted nothing more than to break his rules with Tony. "Come on then let's get going it's a long drive."


Chapter 3



Gibbs, Kate and McGee pulled into the parking area of the hotel Abby had booked her's and Tony's room in for their stay in order to attend the funeral. Looking around they couldn't see Tony's car anywhere,
"They probably left already, come on else we'll be late," Kate grabbed her bag and headed for reception to get her room key. Gibbs and McGee following close behind; it was already 11a.m. which gave them an hour to get to the chapel. Heading quickly to their allotted rooms they all returned to the car ten minutes later.


Parking his car, Tony glanced at his watch it was quarter past eleven. He knew they were early but he needed time to steady himself before he had to face his father.

Abby sensed his fear and reached over and took his hand, squeezing it gently she said,
"I'm here for you and we'll get thought this together!"

"I don't know how I can ever repay you for this Abs. I just want to say goodbye and put him out of my life forever."

"Come on we'll go and sit in the garden of remembrance until it's time to go in, it's always peaceful there." They exited the car and hand in hand walked towards the garden.


Pulling into the crematorium car park, Gibbs located Tony's car and parked next to it. The clock in the car said it was only ten to twelve; they all climbed out and stood in silence looking around trying to locate Abby and Tony amongst the people who had gathered to pay their respects. Gibbs was the first to see them; they were standing at the far side of gardens waiting patiently to go inside. They all noticed the paleness of Tony's face; Abby was standing in front of him holding one hand whilst the other rested against his cheek, wiping away the tears as they fell. Gibbs wanted nothing more than to walk over and take the younger man into his arms, as he went to step forwards Kate stopped him. Looking at her she nodded towards the main gate, turning his attention that way he saw the hearse coming in through the gates. They watched as the procession pulled up in front of the main doors, this was when they got their first look at Anthony DiNozzo Snr. in the flesh. Even from where they stood the man was massive; god knows how he must have looked to a scared child. Gibbs wanted nothing more than to stride over there and rip the guy's head off. The coffin and the mourners made there way into the chapel, Tony and Abby mixing with the people farther back. Gibbs, Kate and McGee waited and went in last slipping into the last row of seats at the back. From there they could watch Abby comforting Tony and supporting him through the ceremony, also keeping an eye on DiNozzo Snr. just in case.

Gibbs' heart ached to take Tony and make his pain go away, but he knew he couldn't; not there; not now. As the ceremony progressed and the priest spoke the words of comfort to the congregation, Tony became more upset. The last straw came when the coffin started to disappear behind the curtain, he was now crying openly,
"Sweetheart, it's ok! She's at peace now, he can't hurt her anymore." Abby soothed him, pulling him gently into her arms. So involved in comforting Tony she had failed to see that the congregation were dispersing and Tony's father was coming down the aisle towards them.

"What the Hell are you doing here?" DiNozzo Snr. bellowed as he pulled Tony around to face him. Tony instinctively flinched away expecting to be hit by his father. What his father hadn't counted on was Abby, his fierce protector,

"Get your hands off him!" she pulled Tony away from the clutches of his father.

The hand that came up and backhanded Abby across the face happened so quickly that no one had time to stop him. Gibbs, Kate and McGee had seen what was unfolding and had begun to make their way to where their friends were none of them had expected him to hit out especially in church.

However, they had been wrong. Abby crashed backwards from the force of the blow, falling hard against the row of chairs.

"Nnnooo�.." Tony screamed, as he rushed at his father. His training took over and before his father knew what had happened he was pinned face down on the floor and his right arm forced up his back. Gibbs rushed forward, as Kate and McGee went to Abby.
"You bastard," Tony hissed into his father's ear, "you ever touch any of my friends ever again and I'll kill you. I put up with your beatings all through my childhood because you threatened Mom, well guess what DAD, she's gone and your hold over me went with her. I hope to hell she's happy now, she deserves to be married to a piece of shit like you for all those years!"
Tony turned as he felt a hand rest on his shoulder, turning he looked straight into his boss's piercing blue eyes.

"Come on Tony, he's not worth it. We'll say goodbye to your Mom and then go home," Gibbs held his hand out and pulled Tony to his feet, pulling the younger man into his arms and hugging him tight. Still on the floor, DiNozzo Snr. began to push himself upright.

"Another fucking fag," he grumbled as he got himself to his feet.

"Tony, go check on Abby will you, and then I'll meet you outside," Gibbs whispered in Tony's ear as they pulled apart. Tony moved away to where Kate and McGee were taking care of Abby who by now had a bruise forming on her right cheek.

"Oh God Abs, I'm so sorry..." tears began to flow down Tony's cheek.

"Sweetheart it's not your fault, anyway I'd rather he hit me than you again. Come on let's go back to the garden and wait out there for Boss Man," Abby reached for his hand and started to lead him away. Watching this exchange Gibbs waited until they had made their way through the doors and then he rounded on DiNozzo's father,
"You bastard, if I ever catch you laying another hand on anyone of my people, I'll kill you." The fire in Gibbs' eyes caused the man before him to swallow hard. "Tony is one of mine; you come within a mile of him I'll have the FBI so far up your arse they'll crawl out through your ears. Do you get me MR DiNOZZO?" Unable to speak he nodded yes and Jethro turned and left.

When Jethro reached the outside he could see his team gathered around the floral tributes to Tony's mother, Abby and Kate both had their arms around Tony and Tim had a hand on his shoulder, they all stood showing silent strength with Tony. Gibbs approached quietly and stood behind the group until Tony decided he was ready to leave. As Tony turned his hazel eyes met Jethro's blue ones, stepping forwards, Gibbs took Tony into his arms,
"Are you ok?" he said softly. He felt more than saw Tony's response as his head moved in the affirmative against Gibbs' neck.
"I am now," Tony whispered never pulling away. They stayed in their embrace for a couple of minutes, the rest of the team smiling as they watched the two men. As they pulled apart Gibbs lifted Tony's chin to look into his eyes,
"Are you ready to come home?"

Tony leaned forwards and took Jethro's face in his hands; he slowly closed his eyes as he gently kissed his boss. He ran his tongue along the seem in Gibbs' lips wanting entry which was readily granted. As they pulled apart they looked into each others eyes,
"Wow!" was all Tony could manage. Jethro couldn't hide his grin. Tony turned back to the flowers,
"Goodbye Mom�I hope you find peace�I'll love you forever." Turning back he took Gibbs' hand, "let's go home!"

Chapter 4

"Excuse me, are you Anthony DiNozzo Jnr.?" a voice questioned fro behind Tony and Jethro as they made their way to the cars and the rest of the team. Turning around to see who had spoken, they found themselves face to face with an elderly gentleman in a business suit.

"Yes I am but please call me Tony; Anthony makes me sound too much like my father!"
"Yes your mother said you'd say that. I'm Andrew Waverley; I was your mother's friend and also her lawyer. She had a feeling that if anything happened to her you would turn up and I'm glad you did, it saved me having to come looking for you!"

Stepping forward Tony extended his hand and shook the old man's hand,
"It's nice to meet you sir. This is Jethro Gibbs, my partner." he said introducing his boss as though they had been together for years and not only for a matter of minutes. Mr. Waverley extended his hand and shook Jethro's too.

"Tony, I would like you to come to my office tomorrow morning at eleven for the reading of your mother's will. I know that you don't want to be in the same room as your father but it is in your best interest to be there. Let's just say it will be interesting!"

Tony looked very unsure, how the hell could he be in the same room as his father after what had just happened in the chapel. Beside him Gibbs could sense the uncertainty; taking hold of Tony's hand he squeezed it gently,
"We'll be there, sir. Do you have the address?"

"Yes Mr. Gibbs, here is my business card. I'll see you both tomorrow then, Goodbye."

"Yes, Goodbye Mr. Waverley," and with that the men turned and walked hand in hand back to the rest of the team.


When the five person NCIS team got back to the hotel, they all decided that they would all stay the night in Baltimore and then Kate, Abby and McGee would drive back in the morning taking Gibbs' car and the boss would stay with Tony to attend the will reading. Tony decided to take them all to the restaurant he and Abby had been to the night before to say thank you to his friends for their support. They all had a fun night, bantering back and forth like usual even Gibbs joined in feeling relaxed and happy. After they had finished eating, Jethro raised his glass,
"A toast to Tony's Mom," they all picked up their glasses, "May she finally find peace and know that her son is safe and loved by everyone here at this table, to Tony's Mom!" They all clinked their glasses together and drank the toast. Tony turned to Jethro with tears in his eyes. Gibbs gently rubbed his thumb across Tony's cheek wiping the tears away as they ran down his face, pulling the younger man into a hug he whispered, "I mean it you know, I love you!"

Tony had know idea what to say, he just sat staring into the dazzling blue eyes he fallen for the first time he'd met Gibbs, a big sappy grin across his face. The two of them were so lost in each other that they forgot all about the other three people sat at the table with them. Kate and Abby both had tears in their eyes, even McGee was getting a little misty.


Abby knew they should be alone together right now, so she suggested that they head back to the hotel so they could get an early start in the morning. Tony paid for the meal, saying it was a thank you and they all piled into Gibbs' sedan to head back. Once there Abby switched hers and Gibbs' holdalls so that the boss was now in with Tony. They all bid each other goodnight, Tony receiving hugs from both Kate and Abby and they all went to their rooms.

This was the part of the night Tony had been both looking forwards to and also kind of dreading too, he had no idea how much Jethro actually knew about his childhood and was fairly sure Gibbs would want to talk about it. Once inside the room, Jethro closed the door and pulled Tony into his arms. He just stood there holding his love, enjoying the feel of this beautiful man. Pulling back he looked at Tony,
"I love you! I know that I want to make love to you, baby. But this goes at your speed, Ok? I won't push you into doing anything you don't want to do."

Tony blushed at Gibbs endearing words, he knew his Boss would protect him from anything, but the guy was a marine for god's sake he never expected the caring, sharing side of the man he loved. Tony couldn't help but grin.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing Boss, it's just�.I never expected�I love you too!" and he pulled Gibbs forwards for a passionate kiss. Pulling back they were both panting, the need for air overcoming their desire to continue the kiss.

Moving across the room to the bed Gibbs slowly began to strip Tony, leaving only his boxers on. He pushed the younger man backwards into the bed, and then he striped to his boxers and climbed in next to Tony covering them both with the comforter. Cradling Tony in his arms and looking straight into his eyes, Jethro said,
"I want to wait until we are home in our bed to make love to you for the first time. I know we will need to talk about the past but like I said we will do this at your speed, my love. For now I want to hold you, is that Ok?"

"It's more than ok, I'm just so glad that something good has come out of this mess. I didn't want to drag you into it and I'm so sorry Abby got hurt." The tears were beginning to form again.

"Ssssh Baby, everything is fine. Abby just wanted you to be safe and you are, she doesn't blame you for what happened and you know she would do it again to protect you."

Tony snuggled closer to the heat of his partner; he loved hearing Jethro's heartbeat under his ear, the constant sound comforting him and lulling his tired body to sleep. Gibbs knew Tony had drifted off as he felt the days tensions leave the body in his arms, he felt him relax against his chest. This was something Gibbs could definitely get used to, the feel of his lover in his arms.

"Sleep my love, I've got you, you're safe now," he whispered into Tony's hair, and drifted off himself.


Blinking slowly Tony woke the following morning feeling safe and warm. Looking up he saw vivid blue eyes looking back at him,
"Hey," he said quietly.

"Hey yourself, you sleep well?"

Tony eased up slightly and placed a chaste kiss on Jethro's lips,
"That has to be the best night's sleep I've had in�well I can't remember how long!" his lips found Jethro's again, Tony deepening the kiss.

"I could get used to this on a morning!" Jethro's eyes sparkled with love as he pulled back to gaze at his lover. Tony was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen, even in his sleep rumpled state, he was gorgeous. " I know this is going to be complicated what with work and everything but I want this. I want you in my life!"

"Jethro�" Tony paused, he liked saying his Boss's name, "Jethro, work stays just as it is, but I want this too. I have for a long time. I want to wake up like this every morning wrapped in your arms but there are things we are going to have to talk about. Things you are not going to want to hear and then we can move on, that is if you still want to!"

"There is nothing you can say that will make me turn away from you; I've read everything the FBI had in the file about your father. They had medical reports in there for both you and your Mom, none of that was your fault. How could I hold that against you?" Jethro pulled him tighter against his body, placing a gently kiss on his forehead.

"Boss, there are things that happened that no one knows about, things even Fornell and his cronies couldn't know, the only person I have ever told is Abby and even then she got the condensed version."

"I understand but I'll wait until you're ready. However long it takes, Ok? Right now I think we should get ready and go and meet the team for breakfast, then go and hear what Mr. Waverley has to say and then head home. Tonight I want you in my arms and in my bed."


Jethro pulled Tony in for another slow, leisurely kiss full of passion and promise. Pulling away Gibbs dragged himself out of bed and pulled Tony up with him. Getting dress took longer than usual because they kept stopping to kiss each other but eventually they were ready and headed out to meet the team.

After a leisurely meal with the team, Tony and Jethro said their goodbyes and headed for the lawyers office. They arrived at the given address at ten to eleven and were greeted by an anxious looking Mr. Waverley.

"Good morning gentlemen, I've set up a conference room for the reading, it has more space than my office and I thought you might appreciate that more. I know you don't want to be in the same room as your father but your Mother asked for him to be there also, so, I really didn't have a choice."

Tony tried to smile to reassure the lawyer but he couldn't quite manage it.

"It's going to be ok!" Jethro said as he gently squeezed Tony's hand, "come on let's get this done then we can go home."

Upon entering the room Mr. Waverley made his way to the head of the table, as Tony entered he headed away from the glare of his father,

"What the hell is he doing here?" DiNozzo Snr. Shouted as he saw Gibbs move in to sit next to his son.

"Mr.Gibbs is here at the request of your wife, if you take a seat all will be explained," Andrew Waverley cut in.

Gibbs eyes made contact with the eyes of Tony's father, he could feel the hate radiating off the man. As the other man gave in, looking around Jethro noticed a man in a business suit sat next to Mr. DiNozzo, looking at this guy he screamed lawyer, his surly attitude seemed right considering who he was sat next to. The blonde sat on the other side of them was what Tony would have chased if he had still been pretending to be a womaniser; she was very young, very tanned and very well endowed. This Jethro supposed would be the secretary. Across from Tony and himself sat an elderly Hispanic lady, Gibbs presumed that she was a friend of Tony's mom. Gibbs turned his attention back to the head of the table as Andrew Waverley began with the reading.

"This is the last will and testament of Maria Guiseppina Rina DiNozzo." Mr. Waverley read through the preliminary stuff and then pausing he cleared his throat, "to Gloria Hernandez, I leave the sum of $100.000, I would like to thank you for all of the years of service you gave me and my son, through the good and bad times, thanks. To my loving friend Andy not only have you been my lawyer for the past twenty five years but also my friend and confidant, you were always there when I needed a friend, to you I leave the summer house in Maine which I inherited from my family. Do what we discussed with it, you always had a good eye and I hope you and your partner will enjoy it for many years to come. To my husband, I return everything you ever gave me except my engagement ring; there are the cars, the jewellery, the ski lodge in Aspen and my share of the Baltimore house. You cost me more than I can ever say, but most of all you cost me my son. I put up with your abuse because when I made my vows it was for better or worse, but now I'm free; free to tell you that you are not Tony's father, I was a month pregnant when our parents set us up to be married, all I had to do was tell you he was born premature and you were none the wiser!" A hush descended on the room. Anthony DiNozzo Snr. looked fit to burst; his wife had cheated on him. HIM! How could she!

Tony took one look at his father's face and started to laugh, Jethro looked at his lover puzzled by his reaction. Tony looked back at Gibbs, tears streaming down his face,

"Nice one Mom!" was all he could manage, trying to curb is laughing. All Jethro could do was smile.

"To my beloved son, Tony, I leave everything else. Andy will tell you what that entails but a brief outline is everything I inherited from my family, stocks and shares I invested in and also the beach house in Florida and the villa in Italy. I hope that the years have been kind to you son and that you have found that special someone to treat you with the love and care you deserve. Andy was asked that if you had such a person in your life that they be here today, to keep you safe and support you through this. I have never regretted anything as much as bringing you into that house to live with that bastard; I hope that you can forgive me for not being strong enough for you. Please know one thing you were my life, my reason for living, I will love you always. This concludes my will."

Tony turned to Gibbs, the laughter had died away and now tears were running freely down the younger man's face.

"Come here love," Jethro pulled Tony into his arms, at that moment he didn't care who else was in the room, he just knew Tony needed him.

From across the room, DiNozzo Snr. snorted his disapproval,
"I should have known you couldn't be my son, you're a fucking fag!"

Tony pulled away from Jethro,

"That rich coming from the bastard who would come into my room and rape me!" Tony yelled. He balled his fists and stood to face the man who had tormented him for years.

"How dare you, you'll regret saying that," DiNozzo Snr. stepped up, glaring at Tony.

"How dare I, don't you remember the night of my thirteenth birthday, you had me pinned face down on my bed whilst you did it! The more I begged the harder you did it!" Tony's face was twisted in rage; next to him Jethro was in shock. He'd know that problems in that house ran deep but this, this wasn't what he'd expected. His blood began to boil the more he thought about a poor, helpless Tony at his father's mercy, a child too scared to act to save himself.
Tony continued,
"You remember pulling me to you after you had finished and whispering to me that if anyone found out you would kill Mom, guess what Dad, you can't hold her against me any longer! The whole world will know what you did!!"

Faced with the truth, DiNozzo Snr. rose swiftly and headed for the door, he barked orders at his lawyer and secretary to follow him. He visibly blanched when they refused, and then continued on his own.

With the focus of his anger gone, the younger man slouched down into a nearby chair. The pain and anguish clearly written across his beautiful face.

"Come on baby, let's get out of here," Jethro pulled Tony to his feet, handling him gently and headed for the door. Andrew Waverley stood to follow them but Gibbs waved him off. There was no way Tony could cope with attention from anyone right now, Jethro just wanted to get him back home and close the world out and keep Tony safe.