- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
see previous chapter
Exiting the lawyer's office building, Jethro gently placed a hand on Tony's lower back as they set off across the carpark. He could feel the tremors running through Tony's body, the muscles tight beneath the clothes he wore. Jethro could understand why; he knew how much facing his father had taken out of the younger man, he could see it in the beautiful green eyes. There in those depths was a sorrow and tiredness that he had never witnessed before.

"Come on baby, it's time to go home," he said quietly.

Turning to look at his boss, Tony could see the love shining from his boss' blue eyes. He tried his best to smile back at Gibbs but all Tony could feel was a rising panic from within. His thoughts making his stomach churn violently.

How could this man love and trust him when he hadn't been brave enough to tell him about his past. He'd seen the look on Jethro's face when he'd confronted his father. How could he want a man that had been abused like that, he was damaged! Gibbs had been through war, he'd faced his fears and was the bravest, most honourable man Tony had ever met. How could he ever be good enough!!

Almost as though he could look into DiNozzo's soul, Jethro leaned closer,

"I love you, don't ever doubt that. No matter what happened in the past, i'm not going anywhere. Do you hear me Tony?"

He paused continuing to look his boss straight in the eye, once again seeing nothing but love and loyalty there,

"Yes Boss," he answered.

The loud crack that punctuated the air shocked the two men who were still standing close together. It took a few seconds for Tony to register the pain as Jethro swung around to see where the sound had come from. To his astonishment, DiNozzo Snr was crossing the carpark towards them, gun pointed directly at Tony.

"You fucking faggot, your no son of mine!" he cursed as he moved closer.

Reacting on instinct, Jethro pulled his Sig at the same time dropping to one knee, double tapping their assailant in the heart. Tony's father dropped instantly to the ground.

Behind him Tony's head was swimming the pain coursing through him making him nauseous. Unable to fight back the sensation he turned quickly empting the breakfast they had shared with the team onto the ground beside him.

Jethro turned at the sound. grabbing Tony so the young agent didn't fall. He held onto his love by the arm as his other hand smoothed up and down his back. As Tony straightened, Jethro stepped back. It was then that he noticed the blood on his hand, looking back at Tony he felt panic rise within him.

Tony's face was pale and he was sweating profusely. Reaching forwards, Gibbs pulled his jacket open to see blood flowing from a wound on Tony's arm. Acting quickly as Tony's legs folded under him, Jethro laid his lover as gently as possible on the tarmac. Looking around for help he spotted Andrew Waverley heading towards them.

"Call the paramedics," Jethro bellowed at the lawyer as he tried to stem the blood flow.

"Tony..Tony baby, come on open your eyes."

"Jethro..,"Tony's eyes opened slowly revealing the scared face of his boss above him,"God, Boss it hurts!" he paused again grimacing through the pain. "Is he dead?"

"Yes Tony he is! I'm sorry it was you or him," Tony eyes slid closed, "Tony..you don't have my permission to die. Do you hear me?" Jethro tried his best Gunnery Sargents voice but Tony just opened his eyes and smiled up at him.

"Yes Gunny, I love you too."

The paramedics arrived on the scene and push Gibbs away so they could treat Tony. They placed him on a guerney and into the ambulance, Jethro following closely behind. Once in the ER, the attending quickly assessed the damage and Tony was rushed off to surgery. Not only had the bullet hit his arm but had penetrated his flank and was imbedded in his ribs.

Jethro stepped outside to contact the rest of the team and explained to them what had happened. Abby said she would let everyone know and they would be there as soon as possible.

Two Hours later, Jethro was still nervously sitting in the waiting area. None of the staff had told him anything and he couldn't help but think how bad a sign that was.

The doors in front of him opened and his arms were filled with a very concerned Abby, closely followed by Kate and McGee. Ducky had immediately gone in search of answers as soon as they had arrived.

"Gibbs," Kate said quietly," What happened?"

Lookin at Kate, his eyes red and teary,

"Oh God..we'd just finished at the lawyers office. Tony was upset, he'd just confronted his father, the next thing I heard a bang and his father was coming towards us with a gun! I killed him Kate!"

Turning to Abby, Gibbs fell into her arms,

"Abs, I can't lose him," he sobbed uncontrolably