- Text Size +
He spoke to her as she stirred. He had been watching her sleep and as her lashes fluttered against her cheek, he asked her why McGee had a key to her place.

Blinking sleepily up at him she muttered; "He doesn't. We've only dated a few times, nothing more. He borrowed a key because the drinks were heavy. Kate and I," she yawned, "let Tony jump to his own conclusions. You too, huh?" she questioned as she snuggled closer.

"I don't play well with others."

The gentleness had come then as the sun peeked in her bedroom window. He held her spooned against him, her back to his chest as he made her come, building her up slowly, so slowly she had cried, tears leaking at the frustration of his withdrawal just as she got to the edge, first with his fingers, and then afterwards with him inside of her, his hand flat against her belly, his mouth where her ear, cheek and neck joined, his gravely voice whispering hotly into her ear.

When he finally let her up, she slipped into her robe and went to get them coffee and breakfast. Surveying the carnage of her living room, she ran a hand over the dining table. Her fingers rested on his cards and she flipped them over. She smirked. The ten, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of Hearts.

End




Authors note: I don't play poker but I do know that the last two hands vary rarely happen, especially not together. I stole the ending from Friends. Sorry.

Quotations (in no particular order);
Trust everyone... but always cut the cards
from the movie "Rounders"

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Stephen Wright

I've always had confidence, but I never let my ego get to the point that I think I'm the superstar, Jim Boyd, modern-day road gambler

I never go looking for a sucker. I look for a Champion and make a sucker of him
"Amarillo Slim" Preston

Don't play to impress, play to win
Michael Gersitz

If you are a guy, you know you play too much poker if your wet dreams involve 'nuts' instead breasts
BreakEvenPlayer

Timid players don't win in high-stackes Poker.
Doyle "Texas Dolly" Brunson

I don't want to give you a complex... but your stack looks small.
Marcel Luske to a short stacked player at 2004 WSOP

In a game of poker, I can put the players' souls in my pocket.
Beausourire

Poker is a game of people... It's not the hand I hold, it's the people that I play with
"Amarillo Slim" Preston

The commonest mistake in history is underestimating your opponent; it happens at the poker table all the time.
David Shoup

I must complain the cards are ill shuffled till I have a good hand.
Jonathan Swift

Poker: the art of civilized bushwhacking.
Nick Dandalos, attributed

Cards are war, in disguise of a sport.
Charles Lamb
Chapter End Notes:
This is *NC-17*, it also contains the sources of the quotations for the rest of the story.