- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs is on the case and his team is working together to find the people behind Tony's attack.
Title: Red Peril 04/11
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Rating: T
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : slash/action
Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.

Previously on NCIS - A Private Detective was hired to have Tony beaten up. McGee managed to intervene and scare off the attackers, but was accused by the Police of being responsible for Tony's injuries. Gibbs persuaded the officers to release McGee into his custody and brought him back to NCIS.

------------------------


[4]

Abby and Ziva were waiting for them in the lab.

Abby ran to McGee and threw her arms around McGee as soon as she saw him. "McGee! What happened? Are you okay? How's Tony?" Letting go of McGee, she turned to Gibbs, "Gibbs, what's going on?"

"Tony got jumped in an alley," replied Gibbs. "Cops have McGee as their prime suspect. Tony...Tony's been brought to Bethesda. I sent Ducky over there to find out what he could."

"But why would anybody want to hurt Tony?" asked Abby.

"That's what we're going to find out," said Gibbs. "McGee, I want a photo fit of those guys you saw attacking Tony. Ziva, when he's done, you're to get it round to every hospitals, walk in clinics, animal hospitals in the area. Find out if anybody matching that picture has shown up with a bullet hole in their arm."

"But shouldn't I go with Ziva?" protested McGee. "I mean, photo fits can be pretty good, but I'll be able to ID them properly if we find them."

"Officially you're still a suspect in the attack. You don't leave the building until this gets sorted."

Ziva tried unsuccessfully to stifle a laugh. Gibbs turned on her, "You find something amusing about this, Officer David?"

"I find it hard *not* to laugh at the thought that anybody could believe McGee capable of beating up Tony."

"Hey," said McGee, indignantly. "I could so take him on."

"Um, not to be siding with Ziva," said Abby, "But you really are a big puppy compared to Tony. He could have you on the floor, like that." She snapped her fingers.

"Well maybe I took him by surprise, snuck up behind him." McGee saw the look on Gibbs's face and added hastily, "I mean I *didn't*, Boss. I'd never do anything like that to Tony."

"Ya think, McGee?" said Gibbs. "But somebody sure as hell caught him off guard."

"Had he been drinking?" asked Ziva. "Perhaps his reactions were dulled by alcohol."

McGee shook his head; "He only had one beer at my place. He said he wanted to keep his head clear for the club. Last time he went there after drinking too much, he woke up the next morning with a real dog..." McGee saw Abby and Ziva both starting at him and added hastily, "His words, not mine!"

"Okay," said Gibbs, "Enough is enough. Abby, get the photo fit set up. Ziva, take McGee's full statement. I want to know everything that went down tonight. Every detail, no matter how small."

"What about you, Gibbs?" asked Abby. "What will you be doing?"

"Getting this case kicked back to N.C.I.S. where it belongs."

--------------------

Gibbs left his team in the lab and headed for the stairs. As soon as the door to the stairwell had shut behind him, he took his phone and punched in a number. It rang for almost a minute before it was picked up and a sleepy voice answered, "Shepherd."

"Jen," said Gibbs, "I need your help."

"Jethro? It's past midnight. What's happened? Has there been some sort of terrorist strike?"

"Worse," said Gibbs. "Tony was attacked a few hours ago, got badly beaten up. Local cops are on the case, but I want N.C.I.S. to take over."

"Slow down a minute. Tony was attacked? How badly was he injured?"

Gibbs slumped against the wall. "I don't know, Jen. Ducky's over at Bethesda now, seeing what he can find out. Making sure that any evidence is retrieved..." Gibbs swallowed hard.

"What can I do?"

"Do what you do best. Make some calls, rattle a few cages. The cops are claiming this case, but *I* want it."

There was silence on the other end of the line before Jenny spoke again, "Are you sure that's such a good idea, Jethro?" she asked gently. "I know that Tony is one of your team...but you're not exactly objective. Perhaps clearer heads in the Police Department might be better to work this case."

"Dammit Jen, of course I'm not objective. Tony is one of *my* team. The police are screwing around trying to pin the blame on McGee just because he was first on the scene. By the time they pull their finger out and realize he didn't do it, the real suspects will be long gone."

"Wait a minute, McGee was there as well? Was he injured?"

"What? No, no he got there too late to stop it. Managed to wing one of the bastards though." There was a note of pride in Gibbs's voice as he spoke. "Jen, I *want* this case. Whatever it takes."

"I understand, Jethro. I...I'll make some calls, get the Police Commissioner out of bed if I have to. You'll have jurisdiction as soon as I can arrange it. I'll make sure all the evidence is turned over to you first thing in the morning."

"Morning is too late. The trail will be cold by then," said Gibbs. "I want everything the Police Department has, on my desk in an hour."

--------------------------

In the end, it was nearly three hours before the Police Department files arrived.

By that time, Jimmy Palmer had arrived as well.
"Doctor Mallard asked me to meet him at Bethesda," he stammered in answer to Gibbs's glare. "He...he said he wanted to stay with Tony, but that this needed to get to you as soon as possible." Jimmy held out a large brown bag. "It's Tony's clothing and personal effects. Doctor Mallard said..." Jimmy frowned slightly as if trying to remember the exact words. "He said 'N.C.I.S. will get more information out of this in five minutes than those idiots in the Police Department will if they have it all night'...his words, not mine," Jimmy added hastily.

Gibbs looked at him. "You realize that when a case like this is in the hands of the Police Department, and evidence is removed, that could be considered Obstruction of Justice. That's a felony, Palmer."

Jimmy's face paled as he held Gibbs's gaze, "I...I know..." He swallowed hard and bit his lip before replying, "But...but if it's to help find who attacked Tony...then it...it's worth it."

Gibbs kept the glare on Palmer for a few seconds longer before finally smiling, "Good work Palmer," he said, clapping him on the shoulder and nearly making him drop the bag of evidence. "What's Tony's condition?" he asked.

"I don't know, Agent Gibbs. They were still working on him when Duc...Doctor Mallard gave me the bag to bring here, but..." Jimmy swallowed hard before continuing, "He said that Tony might have some internal bleeding but that they were waiting for tests to come back. He said he'd phone you as soon as he had more news." Jimmy looked around at the somber faces. "He...he hasn't phoned yet, has he?"

Gibbs shook his head, "No." He took the evidence bag from Jimmy and signed his name on the seal before breaking it and handing it to Abby. "Abby, get me anything you can off these. Those guys worked Tony over pretty good...there's got to be *something* of theirs on him."

"If there's so much as a speck of their D.N.A. here, I'll find it," promised Abby. She took the bag over to her desk.

Jimmy was still standing in the doorway when Gibbs said, "Well what are you waiting for, Palmer? Go help Abby."

"Yes, Boss," said Jimmy automatically as he hurried to Abby's side.

Gibbs had a half smile on his face as he added, "And Abby, *this* assistant is not for duct taping."

-------------------------

To be continued

Ceindreadh