- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and his team are on the trail of Tony's attackers.
Title: Red Peril 06/11
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes to WWOMB, anybody else, please ask first.
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : slash/action
Rating: T
Warnings:
Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.
Notes:


------------------------
Previously on NCIS - A Private Detective was hired to have Tony beaten up. McGee managed to intervene and scare off the attackers, but was accused by the Police of being responsible for Tony's injuries. Gibbs persuaded the officers to release McGee into his custody and brought him back to NCIS where together with Abby, Ziva, and Jimmy, they set to work on finding the people responsible.


----------------------------

[6]

Decaffeinated Gibbs might not have been a pretty sight, but neither was pissed off Gibbs. In spite of the coffee that Jimmy had brought him, and the other cups he'd had during the night, he was still fuming. One of *his* people had been hurt...and not just anybody, but *Tony*. And all Gibbs could do was sit and wait. Gibbs didn't much like waiting while other people were doing all the work. He glanced over at Tony's empty desk. This wasn't right. Tony should be there, lounging in his chair, looking as if he was doing nothing more taxing than thinking about his latest girlfriend, but still having all the answers when Gibbs called upon him.

Gibbs had forgotten how much he relied on Tony's expertise as an agent. Oh sure, McGee was smart enough at picking up things, and even Ziva had learned a lot since she had joined the team, but Gibbs knew that there were any number of N.C.I.S. agents who were competent enough to take their places. Tony was different. Tony was irreplaceable as far as Gibbs was concerned.

Gibbs had phoned Bethesda, only to be informed that 'Agent DiNozzo was resting comfortably'. He'd arranged a guard on Tony's room 24/7. Not that he really believed that anybody would try to get past hospital security to finish what they'd started, but Gibbs wasn't about to take any chances.

"McGee," barked Gibbs, "What have you got on that list?"

"Uh, Boss," said McGee, looking up from his computer. "I've gotten a list of all Chip's visitors for the last six months and I'm trying to track them down."

"Start with his lawyer," said Gibbs. "Those meetings wouldn't be monitored."

"Which one?" asked McGee. "According to the records, he keeps firing them. At last count he'd had four assigned to work his case."

"All of them," snapped Gibbs. He was still annoyed when his phone rang. "If you're not calling to tell me you've found Tony's attackers, then you'd better be calling to hand in your resignation, Officer David," he snapped.

"That will not be necessary," replied Ziva. "I believe I may have something."

-----------------------

'Something', proved to be videotape from an in-store security camera.

"I checked all the hospitals and clinics in the immediate area," said Ziva, "But nobody matching the description McGee gave me had been treated. So I went and checked with every late night drugstore I could find, in case Tony's attackers had decided to treat the injury themselves, rather than go to a hospital."

"You get a name?" asked Gibbs.

"Unfortunately not," said Ziva. "The clerk identified the man in the photo fit, said he bought bandages and antiseptic cream, but he paid cash." She saw Gibbs's face and quickly continued, "But there was a security camera facing the parking lot in front of the building. We have the timestamp from the cash register..."

"If we look at any cars that left after that," interrupted McGee, "We may be able to get a number plate and trace them that way!" He almost snatched the tape from Ziva. "I'll get this to Abby, Boss," he said, hurrying towards the elevator.

"Good work, Ziva," said Gibbs.

Ziva shook her head; "It will only be good work if we can get a plate and a name."

-----------------------------

It took Abby and McGee several hours to clean up the tape sufficiently, but eventually they were able to get a clear shot of the number plate on the only car that had parked in front of the drugstore around the time the bandages had been purchased.

"Run it," ordered Gibbs as he left the lab. "I'll have a warrant ready, you just get me a name." He punched the call button on the elevator with satisfaction. Abby would get him a name, he and Ziva would pick the guy up, and Tony's attackers would be charged by quitting time. "And then I can go check on Tony," Gibbs told himself. He wanted nothing more than to head straight over to Bethesda and reassure himself that Tony was going to be okay. But work came first, as it always did. Gibbs had phoned Ducky again, only to be told that Tony was still pretty much out of it.

"He was awake for a short period an hour ago," Ducky had said.

"Why didn't you call me?" asked Gibbs.

"Because as I said, it was only for a short period, and he wasn't really up to being interrogated," replied Ducky. "Jethro, I know you want to find out what happened, but as I've already told you, it could be a considerable period of time before Tony is able to tell you about last night. He may never remember the period just before the trauma."

"I understand, Ducky," said Gibbs, stifling a sigh.

"It's not all bad news, Jethro. Tony was very groggy when he came to, but he was coherent enough to remember his name and he knew who I was. It should only be a matter of time before he's back to his old self."

"Keep me posted," said Gibbs. "Any change...if he wakes up again, you let me know, you hear?"

"Of course."

But Ducky hadn't called back again. Gibbs punched the call button for the elevator again, a little less happy this time. All this waiting around, he hated it. He wanted to be out there, doing something, finding the answers himself instead of waiting for his team to bring them to him. Gibbs was about to push the button again when the elevator doors opened. He stepped in, almost bumping into the occupant.

"Jethro," said Director Shepherd.

"Director," said Gibbs as he punched the button for his floor. "Didn't expect to see you down here."

"I came to see how the search for Agent DiNozzo's attackers is coming along. You weren't at your desk, so I guessed you'd be either in the lab or Autopsy. Have you any leads?"

"Some," said Gibbs. "Just waiting for Abby to give me a name and them I'm going to pick up the dirtbag responsible."

"Well keep me posted," said Jenny. "I want a full report on everything you find out, and I mean *everything*."

"Sure Jen," said Gibbs, "I'll be sure to take time out from investigating to send you a memo."

Jenny reached out and hit the emergency stop button. "Special Agent Gibbs," she said, in her most Directorish tone. "One of my agents has been deliberately attacked. I don't want some high priced lawyer getting the perpetrator off on a technicality because you cut corners when it came to gathering evidence. You do this by the book, get the warrant *before* you pick up the suspect...or I'll assign another team to the case. Is that clear?"

"Crystal," snapped Gibbs. He restarted the elevator.

"Good," said Jenny.

They rode the rest of the journey in silence.

---------------------
To be continued

Ceindreadh