- Text Size +
He hadn't chased her, that wasn't the way to handle her in this state, he knew. It was funny, how well he knew her when any of the others had always been a mystery to him. Well, not all of them, the first he had known in this way. How could it have taken him so long to realise that he felt this way?

How could he have screwed it up this badly?

Hours later, he simply took his place, next to her at the bar. The bartender passed him a shot glass; it wasn't as if they hadn't done this before. She passed the bottle to him and he poured them both a shot.

After the first, her shoulders slumped and her posture relaxed. When the second was gone she turned to him slightly in her seat. On downing the third she sighed heavily and leaned her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes and breathing him in. He pressed his lips to her hair.

We'll do it all everything, on our own
We don't need anything, or anyone
If I lay here, if I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I don't quite know how to say how I feel
Those three words are said too much
They're not enough //

It *was* said too much, he himself had said it too often, but the words were all he had and he had only ever really meant them once before. "I love you, Abby. I love you so much and I'm sorry I didn't see before."

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world? //

She deflated then, sagging against him, "I know, Gibbs, I heard you earlier, and I hate that you can do this to me. I love you, too. But I'm angry at you."

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads //

He put his arm around her at that and settled her into him. They sat in silence for a long time, drinking the tequila that had become her replacement companion. Sharing warmth.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life //

"What's his name, Abby," asked Gibbs eventually, gesturing towards the bottle and the worm languishing at its bottom.

She pulled away from him, sitting up and smiled, cheeks dimpling slightly but eyes not yet sparkling. Not yet. "*Her* name is Melancholy, but she'll be gone soon."

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where
Confused about how as well
Just know that these things will never change for us at all //

He took her face in his hand and held her head still, kissing her then, taking his time, doing it properly. He kissed her slowly, deeply, making her feel everything he felt. She responded, melting into him. When he pulled back, her eyes sparkled.