- Text Size +
Tony joined them at about 11pm, sliding opposite into the booth they had moved to. Gibbs' arm was slung over Abby's shoulder and she was nestled as close as she could be into his side.

She smiled up at Tony as he joined them and while it wasn't the usual bright happy-Abby-go-lucky smile from her lab, it was the most genuinely contented look he had ever seen on her face.

His eyes slid to the man by her side. Gibbs looked up from his contemplation of Abby's face at the same time. "About earlier…"

It's hard to argue when
you won't stop making sense
But my tongue still misbehaves and it
keeps digging my own grave with my

Hands open, and my eyes open
I just keep hoping
That your heart opens //

The younger agent dropped his eyes and took a deep breath, the action causing Gibbs to stop speaking. Tony glanced at Abby again as he looked back up, smiling slightly as he watched her fidget in her seat at the uncomfortable atmosphere around the table. He hadn't seen such a typical hyper-kinetic action in months.

"It's ok," he said, nodding at Gibbs. "I'm actually glad it happened. Things needed to be said, Boss. Don't apologise…it's a sign of weakness." They smiled slightly at each other as Gibbs crushed Abby even tighter into his side, kissing her hair as he had always done, but now with a touch of reverence in his eyes, as well.

Why would I sabotage
the best thing that I have
Well, it makes it easier to know
exactly what I want with my...

Hands open and my eyes open
I just keep hoping
that your heart opens //

Tony stood up again, moving to the side of the booth, ready to go. "I'm going to head out. I don't think I'm needed here tonight." Abby moved to hug him, and he held her tight for a long time. "Are you okay?" he whispered into her hair.

"I will be," she affirmed as she pulled away and backed into Gibbs, slipping once more into his embrace.

It's not as easy as willing it all to be right
Gotta be more than hoping it's right
I wanna hear you laugh like you really mean it
Collapse into me, tired with joy //

He nodded, "see you both tomorrow, then," and moved towards the exit. He stopped short when Gibbs called him back.

"DiNozzo, Rule Twelve; Take time to put your life in order when it's needed. You won't be seeing us tomorrow; we're taking tomorrow and Friday off, having a long weekend."

He was shocked, had never known either of them to take time off willingly, and…"Rule Twelve, Boss? I thought that was never…"

"I thought it was time to update." Both men smiled at each other. "Keep the lights on ‘til Monday, DiNozzo."

"On it Boss," he called over his shoulder as he left the bar. Music filled the room but over it he heard Abby;

Put Sufjan Stevens on
and we'll play your favourite song
"Chicago" bursts to life and your
sweet smile remembers you, //

"A long weekend? I didn't put in for any time off."

"No, but I did. You'll be lucky if I let you go after four days." She giggled slightly.

"How did you even swing time off, you only just got back?"

"I made it a condition of my return. Time to spend with the woman I love, or I'll just set up office in her lab."

She laughed more heartily at that, "I wish I could have seen the Director's face!"

It's not as easy as willing it all to be right
Gotta be more than hoping it's right
I wanna hear you laugh like you really mean it
Collapse into me, tired with joy //