- Text Size +
Chapter 5

The first thing that he was aware of was the stinging smell of antiseptic. That probably meant he was in a hospital. But he had no idea how he might have gotten there. His head hurt. Probably another concussion to add to his ever growing collection. The last thing he could remember was guarding Franks. Then Gibbs calling him… something about security… going off script, maybe. Everything was fuzzy. Gibbs wanted to talk to Mike… but Mike had disappeared. He remembered going into the backyard… then nothing. Damn. He was probably in a hell of a lot of trouble for losing Franks.

He opened his eyes slowly; it felt like his eyelids weighed a hundred pounds. He blinked, trying to bring the world into focus. It was dark. He moved his head slowly to the side. Someone was sleeping restlessly in the chair next to the bad. It took him a minute to identify the figure.

Gibbs.

"Boss?" He whispered. Gibbs jumped and looked around. Tony smiled to himself. He had finally managed to get one up on Gibbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Boss?" It was possibly the most wonderful thing he had ever heard in his entire life. He looked into the green eyes that were currently studying him warily. He got up quickly and moved to sit on the side of the bed, grasping Tony's hand.
"Tony? You with me?" Gibbs asked gently.

"Yeah… I think so boss. Wh-What happened?" He asked weakly, looking up at Gibbs.

"Franks attacked you." Gibbs said bitterly "The bastard played us. Used us to get Intel and went rogue. Used a tape of Cabaņa music to lure Arkady Kobach to the bar of some cheap hotel and shot him."

Tony stared at him like he had grown several extra heads. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

For the first time in days Gibbs laughed. "No. As insane as it may sound, I am completely serious."

"Jeez…" Tony muttered, shaking his head "Ah!" He closed his eyes in pain.

"Tony? What's wrong?" Gibbs questioned his voice full of concern.

"Remind me not to do that again…" Tony said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, probably wasn't your best move." Gibbs agreed, gripping Tony's shoulders. "Just breathe. It'll pass." Gibbs urged quietly.

After a moment Tony opened his eyes again and looked down. "Gibbs, I- I screwed up," he said softly

Gibbs sighed "Tony, look at me." When Tony continued to study his hands as though they were the most interesting thing he had looked at in weeks, Gibbs reached out and gently lifted his chin so that Tony's eyes met his. "You didn't screw up, Tony. I did. I swallowed every damn lie he told me."

"Boss, I-"

"No, Tony. Listen to me. This is in no way your fault. You hear me?" Gibbs watched Tony carefully.

"Gotcha, Boss." Tony smiled slightly.

"Good." There was a moment's silence "You had us pretty worried there." Gibbs stated softly.

"Sorry about that, Boss, I-" But he was cut off by a loud squeal from the doorway.

"TONY! You're awake!" Abby launched herself at him.

'Ah! Abbs… good to see you, too… But I can't breathe…" Tony gasped.

"Oh, sorry!" Abby exclaimed letting go of him and perching herself on the edge of the bed. She turned to Gibbs and punched him in the arm, hard.

"Ow, Abbs! What was that for!" Gibbs rubbed his arm, looking at her in confusion.

"Not calling me the minute he woke up!"

"He only woke up a few minutes ago! Jeez…" Gibbs rolled his eyes at her.

Abby glared at him for a few more seconds before turning her attention back to Tony and punching him on the arm.

"Hey! What was that for?" Tony asked looking injured.

"Abby!" Gibbs growled.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, Anthony DiNozzo!" She told Tony in her best Gibbs' voice.

Tony continued to look injured for a few seconds, still absent mindedly rubbing his arm and then his face broke out into a smile "Sorry about that, Abbs. I'll try not to do that again."

"See that you don't, buster!"

"So how long was I out, anyway?" Tony asked curiously.

Abby and Gibbs looked at each other before Gibbs answered "Four days."

"Four days! How hard did Mike hit me! Was he trying to kill me or something!" Tony exclaimed in shock.

"I don't know if he was actually trying to kill you, but I charged him with attempted murder, anyway." Gibbs voice was hard.

"I just so glad you're awake, Tony!" Abby cried, wrapping her arms around Tony's neck again.

"Thanks, Abbs." Tony wrapped his arms around her, carefully avoiding any and all spikes she might be wearing.

"Ah, Anthony, you're awake!" Ducky had just entered the room, followed by McGee and Ziva.

After several minutes of everyone making sure that Tony was, in fact, alright, Abby spoke. "I've really got to get back to the office, I have a huge pile if evidence to go through."

"Yeah, we should probably be getting back, too. I can't see my desk under the hill of paperwork." Ziva said as she and McGee stood up.

"Mountain, Ziva. Mountain of paperwork." Tony corrected automatically.

"Whatever."

"I should get a start on Mr. Kobach." Ducky agreed and they all exited the room and Gibbs and Tony were once again left alone.

Tony shifted uncomfortably "So… what did Franks say in interrogation?"

"Nothing, yet. He's still cooling his heels." Gibbs smirked.

"How long has he been in there?"

Gibbs checked his watch "About 17 hours."

"Are you serious!" Tony had never heard of someone being left in interrogation for that long.

"Completely. And the cuffs are still on." Gibbs said with a self satisfied smirk.

"Wow, Gibbs. That is cruel and unusual punishment."

"Yeah, well, I plan to make him suffer as long as humanly possible." Gibbs voice had turned hard.

"Wow. Remind me to never piss you off this thoroughly," Tony said, impressed.

"Well, you won't manage to unless you plan to knock yourself out and put yourself into a coma." Gibbs looked at him steadily.

"Um… I'll keep that in mind…" Now he was just confused.

"Tony, listen to me. I'm not pissed because Franks lied to me. I'm pissed because he could have killed you." Gibbs watched as Tony processed what had been said.

"Boss, I…" Tony had no idea what he was supposed to say to that. None.

"Okay, Tony, I'll make this simple. I do care. No matter what I say, I'm proud of you. Got that?" It was true. He was proud of Tony. Tony was like a son to him.

"I know, It just… It would be nice to get a simple 'Good job' every now and then," Tony said quietly.

"I'll try to remember that." Gibbs nodded and stood up. "Get some rest."

"Sure, Boss. Thanks." Tony smiled at Gibbs, who smiled back at him, a rare, true smile.

"Night, DiNozzo."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, I am really sorry (I know, I know, don't apoligize, it's a sign of weakness) about the short chapters, but I am officially done with the short-ish chapters!

Thank you to everyone who reviewed!

Big thanks to my beta Vanishingp2000! Any remaining mistakes are mine.