- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Gibbs stood in the observation room watching Mike squirm; the man clearly needed a cigarette. Gibbs smirked. Not gonna happen anytime soon. The door opened and he turned to see Jen walk in. He nodded to her and walked out into the hallway.

Gibbs took a deep breath and opened the door to the interrogation room where Mike had been sitting for the past 20 hours, give or take. Gibbs had decided to not only obey all speed limits, but had also stopped at home, showered, gotten coffee (twice) and sorted through his email and read all the interdepartmental memos from the past week before conducting the interrogation. He slammed the door behind him and stood glaring at Mike for a minute before silently walking over to the table and dropping the file on it. He pulled out the chair roughly and sat dawn, still glaring.

"Listen, I didn't want to hurt DiNozzo, but Kobach had to be stopped." Mike pleaded, trying to make Gibbs understand. Gibbs simply continued to glare.

"Probie, are you gonna say something or are you just going to sit there and glare at me all week?" Mike was starting to get annoyed. Gibbs simply opened the file and began to look through it.

"C'mon, you don't really think that's gonna work on me, do ya Probie?" Mike rolled his eyes.

"Nope. I'm just reading your... colorfully given statement." Gibbs, said, not looking up and flipping a page over absently.

"Yeah, well, the guy was an ass." Mike shifted uncomfortably. "Are the cuffs still really necessary?"

"Yes. Orders from the Director. She wanted to ensure that the rest of NCIS remained conscious." Gibbs snapped.

"Hey, if you hadn't put DiNozzo on protection detail, this never would have happened!" Mike objected loudly.

"Don't. You attacked him because you wanted to be a damn cowboy. You could have killed him." Gibbs got up and moved around the table. He leaned in close to Mike's ear and whispered, so that only he could hear it "The only reason I didn't shoot you is because Tony didn't die. If he had you would be dead right now. So you had better thank your lucky stars that DiNozzo has one hell of a stubborn streak." Gibbs straightened up and picked up the folder. He walked out of the room and slammed the door behind him. He leaned against the wall and closed his eyes.

"Jethro? How's Tony?"

"Better. He woke up a couple of hours ago." Gibbs turned to look at Jenny.

"Good. Fornell is here to interrogate Franks." Gibbs gave her a questioning look "The FBI is dealing with the murder of Arkady Kobach. It was either them or DC Metro. A civilian killing a civilian isn't in our jurisdiction, Jethro."

"Fine." Gibbs brushed past her.

The door to the elevator opened and Fornell appeared. He saw Gibbs and moved back inside. Gibbs followed him and waited for the car to start before flipping the emergency stop switch.

They stood in silence for a minute until Fornell asked "How's DiNutso?"

Gibbs rolled his eyes at Fornell's intentional mispronunciation of Tony's name. "He'll be okay. Woke up a couple hours ago."

"Glad to hear it. I'm told it was your old boss." Fornell looked at Gibbs questioningly.

Gibbs nodded curtly. "Bastard played me." He growled.

"I surprised you didn't kill him." Fornell smirked slightly.

"Too easy. I've had him handcuffed in interrogation for the past 20 hours." Gibbs eyes glinted mischievously.

"Great. Now he's gonna whine to me about it." Fornell moaned.

"Yeah. So?" Gibbs leaned over and flipped the switch, causing the elevator start moving again.

The doors opened and Gibbs stepped out of the elevator and turned to grin at Fornell as the doors began to close. "Have fun."

The doors closed on Fornells scowling face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter End Notes:
I think by now you know that I don't own jack.

Big thanks to my wonderful beta Vanishingp2000! Any remaining mistakes are mine!