- Text Size +
Story Notes:
READ FIRST!!........................I'm unsure about the letter thing, it's a bit too corny but what the heck, I got the idea of them meeting from Kelly Clarkson's 'Just Missed the Train' and the paragraphing is icky... but hope you enjoy it........................ oh, and I do not own NCIS or the characters in it.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Kate reminisce about the first time they met in Philadelphia.
It was 9 pm and Kate and Tony were the only ones left in the office. Kate was busy staring and typing at her computer but Tony wasn't, he got distracted and stopped and looked at Kate, then finally broke the silence.
‘Remember the first time we met?' he asked.
Kate looked up, ‘You we're still working in Philadelphia as a Detective and I was still in the Secret Service' she smiled
‘You remember?'
‘I was on holiday with my ex-fiancée and you… already lived there'
‘The nine o'clock train…' Tony reminisced.
‘Yeah, we were both late for it, all because of your clumsiness!'
‘Hey, it wasn't my fault I spilled my coffee on you, I was, distracted.'
Kate only gave him a ‘yeah right' smile, ‘Just admit it, you wanted to get my attention'
‘Yeeeeah, actually I did, it worked didn't it?' Tony grinned
‘Besides the fact that I was engaged'
‘We both missed the train Kate'
‘The nine o'clock, it was a cold night but luckily my friend picked me up afterwards.'
‘To be honest Kate, I thought I was never gonna see you again.'

‘Yeah well you were wrong,' Kate paused, ‘That night I caught Nick with…' she paused,
‘It was snowing and you were sitting there, crying in the park, your tears turned to icicles' Tony continued as he walked over and sat on Kate's desk.
Kate smiled and wiped the bit of tears that managed to come out.
‘I broke it off right there in that hotel room but I still kept the ring' she opened a draw and pulled a diamond engagement ring out.
Tony continued, ‘I was going home from a date but my car stopped working so I decided to walk through the park, when I saw you, I didn't recognise you but something told me that I did know you…'
‘And that's when you decided to sit and talk to me' Kate interrupted.
‘I knew something special was happening right there,' Tony got so lost in the conversation, he let out, ‘I knew you were the one for me,' he suddenly stopped realising what he just said. ‘Uh, Kate…'
‘No don't worry about it Tony, I'm sure you didn't mean to say that,' Kate said.
Tony sighed in relief, ‘After we talked for an hour or so, I was certain I was going to meet you again, but I forgot to ask you when you were going back, so the reason why I joined NCIS and accepted Gibbs' offer to join his team…' Tony looked down at the ground, ‘was so I could move to D.C. and hopefully run into you again.'

Kate looked up at Tony surprised, ‘You joined NCIS because of me?' she asked.
‘Yeah that and the fact that I wanted to change jobs'
‘You're not going to be changing jobs again are you?' Kate asked worriedly.
‘Nah, this job has grown on me I don't think I could leave.' Tony looked at Kate again and noticed that she was starting to cry. Her hair was covering her face and Tony's heart sank as soon as he realised why. He leaned over and moved Kate's hair behind her ear so her face was visible again and he seemed to fall deeper. He looked down and saw Kate clinching onto her old engagement ring. He was right, ‘You still have feelings for him don't you?' he asked softly. Kate only looked down and nodded.
‘I want to get over him Tony; it's been years, its pathetic' she finally stood, got her bag and wiped away a tear, ‘so why are you still here? Shouldn't you be on your date with Kerri?' she asked
‘Uh…'

Before Tony could say another word, Kate interrupted, ‘you know don't worry about it, Gibbs probably asked you to finish that report.'
‘…yeah, I guess he did' Tony said to himself.
‘Okay then, bye.' Kate was about to take a step but stopped, ‘Oh, Tony, thanks for that conversation it was nice talking about something we haven't talked about for ages' she smiled, walked out of the bullpen and Tony watched her as she waved goodbye and stepped into the elevator.

2 years later…

It was 9 pm and Tony was about to go home. He packed his bag and walked past his old desk which was now being occupied by McGee who decided to stay a bit longer.
‘See you tomorrow McGee' Tony said.
‘Bye…' McGee suddenly remembered something and got out a letter that was hidden. ‘Tony wait!' he called out just before Tony walked out of the bullpen. McGee paced in front and gave Tony the letter.
‘I think you know who it's from' McGee said. Tony was silent as he looked at the envelope that seemed brand new. The silence was finally broken.

‘Kate…' Tony whispered to himself.
McGee continued, ‘After you recovered from the plague Kate wrote this letter and told me to give it to you if anything bad happened to her, I was planning on giving it to you earlier but I guess I forgot.'
Tony smiled, ‘You're getting old McGee, thanks.'
‘No problem.' And with that, Tony walked past leaving McGee standing there watching in sympathy as Tony walked into the elevator.

Dear Tony,

I looked at you when you were sick and thought about myself and what would happen if I was gone. Thinking about that night when we reminisced about the first time we met I felt a really close connection… just like the time you came and talked to me in the park. Even though I only met you once, I realised that the feeling we got was a sign. Also, that night when I cried over my ex-fiancée I was lying, who I was really crying over was you. There was a mixture of joy and sadness in my tears. Joy because I was falling more and more in love with you and sadness because of how scared I was if we could never be together.
It sounds corny but I know you would understand it was obvious when you kept on saying "I wanted to see you again". I want to tell you how I feel but I can never find the proper time to, I always think about us and being co-workers and Gibbs' rule number twelve, but if you're reading this it's already too late to tell you in person. So this letter is my only hope of telling you how I really feel/felt about you.
The reason why this letter is short is because I was only meant to write one sentence.

I love you and I'll never forget you Tony.

Kate.


Tony put down the letter next to a photo of Kate on his bedside table and turned off the light.

That night he dreamt of the memories of him and Kate as an angel looked down and smiled as a tear ran down her face.
Chapter End Notes:
READ FIRST!!........................I'm unsure about the letter thing, it's a bit too corny but what the heck,
I got the idea of them meeting from Kelly Clarkson's 'Just Missed the Train'
and the paragraphing is icky... but hope you enjoy it........................
oh, and I do not own NCIS or the characters in it.