- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs tries to make a deal with Janssens. Will he be able to get him to let Tony go?
"Gary Janssens. I thought I was never gonna see you again" Gibbs said, looking sincerely sad.
"I can't let you get away with it. You failed and now you're gonna pay for it!" Janssens said, holding his gun under Tony's chin.
"No!" Gibbs yelled "He's got nothing to do with it. Let him go"

A smirk spread on Janssens face as he moved the gun and pressed it on Tony's neck, causing him to wince in pain.
"Now what would I do that?"
"Because he's injured and needs to be taken care of. And because you're not a murderer"

Janssens looked down trying to hide his tears, but he didn't lower his gun. Gibbs looked at Tony again, as if he wanted to evaluate his condition. His agent was shivering and looked weak and tired. Before the ex-marine could say anything more, Janssens looked up again and seemed angry as could be.

"Why would I care about your boy when you didn't care about my girl"
"I did. I knew the man we'd arrested wasn't the murderer but the FBI took the case from us and they wouldn't listen to me. I told them you both still needed protection but they said I was wrong and did nothing.
That's what really happened. It wasn't my fault, and it sure as hell wasn't Tony's. That's why I'm asking you to let him go"

Tony looked at his boss and sighed. Even if he was telling the truth, it was obvious that he was trying to convince himself when he said it wasn't his fault. But hey, that was Gibbs. Behind the whole tough marine thing was a man with a heart. And even if he'd done everything he could, he'd feel guilty if a case went bad.

Janssens seemed to hesitate for a moment. He clearly didn't know what to do. Tony could feel him shake a little.
"You're lying!" Janssens finally yelled, pointing his gun at Gibbs.
"I am not. But if you want to shoot me, I'll understand. But let my agent go. Please."

Tony looked shocked. His boss was ready to sacrifice himself to save him. He was touched, but scared that the man behind him would do it.
Before he could do or said anything, he was thrown against a wall and fell to the ground, gritting his teeth not to scream in pain.

"There. You happy now?" Janssens asked Gibbs, his gun pointed at him.
"I'd be if he was out of here and safe"
"He will be. I won't do anything to him now"
"Can I trust you?"
"Well I'm the one with the gun" Janssens chuckled "Anyway you're right. You're the one I wanted, there's no point in shooting this kid"
"How do I know you won't kill him after you shoot me?"

And smile started to play on Janssens' lips.
"I promise I won't hurt him again. And I promise I won't kill him"
Then Janssens cocked the gun looking Gibbs in the eyes while Tony watched, horrified.

Gibbs was glad to know Tony would be safe, even if he didn't exactly want to die. ‘At least he'll be okay, that's all that matters' he thought, looking down at this man that was more a son than a co-worker to him.
He sighed and steeled himself, trying to avoid Tony's pleading gaze.

"Leave, Boss. Just turn around and go. I'm not worth it"
But Gibbs didn't go. He turned to Janssens and looked him in the eyes. ‘Of course you're worth it, bonehead' he thought.

Janssens smirked, finger on the trigger. He looked delighted to see how the whole thing had turned out. Pleasure was evident in his eyes as he saw a tear run down Tony's cheek as he begged his boss to leave him there.
He then looked back at Gibbs.

"A promise is a promise"
With that he quickly turned his gun to Tony and shot him in the shoulder.
Chapter End Notes:
Wow, this chapter was so hard for me to write, I restarted it again, and again, and again.
So this is the option I finally chose. Hope you'll like it!