- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tom, one of the security guards, notices a few things. But still doesn't quite see the whole picture.
When Thomas Ackley accepted the position of security guard at NCIS headquarters he wasn't expecting the job to be exciting or even very interesting. For most people NCIS wasn't even a blip on the radar. If not for Tom's eight year stint in the Navy, four of those years as an SP, he'd have never even heard of the agency.

NCIS didn't have the glamour or notoriety of the FBI. There weren't rumors about it like NSA or CIA. It hadn't risen to prominence like Homeland Security, FAM and ATF in the wake of 9/11. So Tom was expecting the job to be just as quiet and routine as he assured his wife, Pauline, it would be. Of course, that was before he'd met Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Tom had long since concluded Gibbs was a force of nature when pissed. And the man seemed to spend an inordinate amount of his day in a snit about something. Staying on his good side was nearly impossible. It was ironic that once Tom quit trying to make nice, he and Gibbs actually got along rather well.

He'd learned to ignore any stopped elevator if he knew Gibbs was in the building. Why the man would pick an elevator to have a meeting was anyone's guess. Tom had long since figured out it was best not to question the quirks of the people who worked there. If the lab tech wanted to dress like every day was Halloween, or the ME wanted to converse with the dead, or adults squabbled like children over who got the front seat and who got to drive, it wasn't his place to ask about it.

He'd also learned that having plenty of coffee on hand at any given time, day or night, was a must. Gibbs drank it like there might never be another pot made. Tom guessed the man consumed at least a gallon a day, probably more. It was no wonder he came in so early. Gibbs was probably up and down a hundred times a night just to pee.

Over the past few months, Tom had noticed a more predictable pattern to Gibbs early arrivals. If they weren't working an open case, Gibbs was in by four am. Tuesday and Thursday. The man always strolled in with the biggest coffee cup money could by and would usually manage a grunt by way of a greeting. It always made Tom wonder what the hell happened on Monday and Wednesday nights that the man would feel the need to get to the office so soon. But the rumor mill made it sound like all the man did was work so maybe nothing happened and it was just his nature to show up before the crack of dawn.

If there wasn't a case that reeked havoc over the weekend, on Monday morning, a day when most people were less than happy about coming to work, Gibbs would show up bright eyed, willing to exchange a few pleasantries, would even smile a bit. Tom figured maybe it was just more proof that he was a workaholic, except that he was usually in later on Monday than any other day. Gibbs would often stroll through the door at six thirty. Once or twice Gibbs hadn't made it in until seven. Tom knew better than to comment directly on that unusual occurrence, but he'd made note of it just the same.

He'd also made note of Agent Anthony DiNozzo's habit of staying late. Now everyone knew Tony had a social life, a very active social life. But he was as dedicated to the job as Gibbs, if not more so. It was a mystery to Tom how Tony could go on so many dates when the younger man never seemed to leave the building much before two in the morning.

Although, early on, he hadn't always known just how late Tony stayed, or when he left to grab a bite to eat and returned. The first year he worked at NCIS, Tony had managed to slip in and out of the building with embarrassing ease. What made it all the worse was he hadn't been actively trying to elude security. Tony told him later, he did his best work at night and simply hadn't wanted to bother anyone with checking in and out. He'd actually thought he was doing them a favor by just coming and going quietly. Now, of course, after almost five years, it was more of a game between them. One Tom delighted in winning.

He wasn't sure when Gibbs found out about Tony's late nights, but he knew when Gibbs started quizzing security every morning when he arrived. 'What time did DiNozzo leave?' was more of a standard greeting from the senior agent than 'Good Morning'. And God help them if they didn't know or got it wrong.

If Tom hadn't known better he'd have sworn the two of them devised this whole thing as a way of making sure security was on their toes. And honestly, having a terrorist in the building, and a booby trapped letter with the plague inside, Tom wasn't sure being tested on their observational skills and attention to detail was a bad thing. He took it personally that two agents had been shot in his building, and one had nearly died from a disease he thought no longer existed.

He knew he wasn't alone in taking things personally. Gibbs was famous for it. He was rabid about looking after his own.

So Gibbs being wound up tighter than an eight day clock yesterday hadn't really been a huge surprise to Tom. The man got like that when there was even a hint one of his people was in trouble or hurt. The rumor mill being what it was, Tom knew what had happened fairly quickly.

A man on the scene, who later proved to be the murderer of Ensign Riley, had attacked both Jimmy Palmer and Tony. Neither was hurt, but no one would have guessed that from Gibbs' reaction. According to one of the secretaries Gibbs had actually broken a coffee mug in MTAC when McGee had called to tell him they needed to stop by the hospital. Tom was sure it was an exaggeration that the mug shattered in Gibbs' hand. It had to be, but it made for a good story.

Apparently, Tony had broken the man's wrist in the attack. Tom knew IA would clear Tony of any wrong doing soon enough. He'd seen him interrogate suspects and not once had he ever worried that Tony might go all 'old school' and beat someone down for no reason. The man just wasn't wired that way.

Now Officer David...she was another story. Hell, a suspect had died in the elevator with her. And Tom had seen some footage from one or two of her interrogations. He wasn't sure where they drew the line between interrogation and torture with Mossad, but he was certain it wasn't the same place where NCIS drew it.

He was somewhat surprised that Gibbs hadn't waited upstairs for his team to return. The man had simply crooked his finger at Tom as he'd headed for the garage and Tom followed. A little added security as they brought in a wacko who'd attacked two people in broad daylight was probably not a bad idea.

Gibbs had paced the garage with slow, measured steps that made Tom more than a little nervous. It reminded him of watching a tiger in the zoo and knowing the only thing keeping it from making dinner out of him were the steel bars between them. He hoped the next time Gibbs wanted back up one of his team was around to give it.

Tom didn't really breathe easy until Tony, McGee and Ziva walked in, their prisoner in tow, his forearm and hand in a temporary cast. The man continued to fight against them in spite of the cuffs and ankle restraints. Tom was damn glad he didn't have to deal with the psycho, but he'd kept his hand on his gun just in case the nut job got loose. Gibbs looked ready to do some serious damage and the prisoner probably sensed that. He went as quiet as the proverbial church mouse when Gibbs fixed him with a gaze that should have left little more than ashes.

Tom had made note of the grass stains on Tony's clothing. He'd have missed the tear to Tony's jacket and sweater if Gibbs hadn't pointed them out. Blue eyes flashed when he demanded information about what had happened.

McGee had paled, and Tom sympathized. It was never pleasant to be caught in the path of those laser like eyes. David looked sheepish and more than just a little embarrassed to have been caught so off guard by an untrained lunatic. Only Tony appeared completely unfazed. He delivered the facts in a clear, concise manner that would have made Tom's old drill instructor proud.

When Gibbs asked if he was hurt, Tony just smiled. It was almost shy and full of little boy delight. "You do care, Boss."

"Of course I care, DiNozzo." Gibbs smacked the back of his head. "Paperwork for an on the job injury is a bitch."

Tom thought the slap might have been a little lighter than usual, but it was hard to know for sure. He didn't think it was really warranted, but Tony hadn't seemed to mind. If anything, it was almost as though he'd have missed not getting it. And Gibbs was smiling, warm and open. Tom never thought he'd see that. Ever.

The smile vanished when he laid a few on McGee and David. Those were definitely more painful if their expressions were anything to go by.

"What was that for?" Ziva rubbed the back of her head.

"For not paying more attention."

McGee had grimaced but didn't try to defend himself. Tom had really come to like the junior agent, having watched him grow into his own since he started out as a probie. McGee had definitely grown a lot.

"Ziva. McGee. Get this guy into interrogation room one. And find out who the hell he is while you're at it." Gibbs pointed at Tony. "We're going to see Ducky."

Tony had shrugged, releasing his hold on the prisoner. "Boss, it's a little early for him to have any results. I mean Palmer probably only got back an hour--"

"I want him look you over, DiNozzo."

"I'm fine," Tony protested. "Really--"

"When Ducky says you are." Gibbs had countered. "Now let's go."

It was another quirk of NCIS that Tom had learned not to question. Having a coroner, a guy who specializes in dead people, examine the living. The morgue was one creepy place in Tom's opinion. He hated have to even look in there when he was on rounds at night.

Tom saw Gibbs put his hand the small of Tony's back when they headed for the elevator, and lean in to say something quietly. Tony shook his head in response to whatever was being said and leaned one shoulder against the wall. Maybe Tony wasn't quite as okay as he made out; Gibbs was probably just double checking and kept a hand on Tony to make sure he was steady on his feet. God knew Tony had more concussions than anyone else in the building. It was a good thing he had a hard head.

No longer needed in the garage, Tom had returned to his post. He wasn't entirely sure what happened with the case other than that it was closed. The rumor mill didn't seem terribly interested in discussing cases once they were closed. Tom always figured it was because there was less to gossip about when anyone could pull the file and check the facts.

The entire team, even Gibbs had left at five. Maybe they'd gone out to celebrate or something. Wasn't every day they closed a case in less than a day.

Tom thought it was nice they left at a decent hour for a change. Especially Tony, who not only left but actually stayed gone rather than sneaking back in later to work some more.

Tom had noticed that Mondays and Wednesday tended to be earlier nights for him. Early being relative?he never really left at the usual quitting time for most people, but typically didn't say much past seven thirty on those nights.

Tom had heard there might be a new love interest in Tony's life. He'd even teased him about it, thinking it was likely the reason he left a little sooner a few days out of the week and stayed later on others. Maybe his new lady worked an odd schedule or something like swing shift or graveyard. Tom had tried to tease Tony about it, but all he'd gotten in response was a wink and a grin.

He thought it was nice Tony had someone in his life, even if it wasn't necessarily a serious fling. Tony didn't seem the type to settle down just yet. It wasn't like there was any hurry for him to get married. Not with the sort of hours he worked and the kind of job he had.

A wife wanted more time and attention than just on the weekends, and wouldn't be too thrilled with him nearly getting killed every other week. Tom knew that first hand, but he wouldn't trade Pauline for anything. His job wasn't anywhere near as stressful or dangerous most days as that of the field agents, and certainly didn't require the same sort of investment of time. Still it helped to know he could go home and talk to Pauline, play with his boys, and just unwind. Made it a lot easier to come to work every day.

He hoped whoever Tony was seeing gave him that same sort of support. It was a real shame Gibbs didn't have someone waiting at home. Maybe he'd be a little less intense all the time if he did.

Then again, Tom thought as he watched Gibbs stroll through the front doors smiling slightly with coffee mug in hand, maybe he did have someone waiting at home. No way that smile was the product of anything but a good night; a very good night. And if Tom wasn't mistaken, he could just make out a bit of a hickey peeking out from under Gibbs' collar.

Tom glanced at the clock on the wall. It was almost six forty-five. Gibbs was late for a Thursday.

"Morning, Tom."

"Morning, Gibbs." He was tempted, oh so tempted to ask about Gibbs' night, but Tom just didn't have that sort of courage. It wasn't until Gibbs was safely on the elevator and headed up to his floor that Tom realized he hadn't asked him what time DiNozzo left.

He wondered if that meant anything before deciding probably not. The team had left together so Gibbs already knew when Tony had called it a night. And the man had obviously had himself a good time when they split up, so Tony was likely not a chief concern for him at the moment.

Everyone in the building seemed to know Tony had a new love interested even though he hadn't actually said anything. He wondered if anyone would believe him if he said it looked like Gibbs had one too. Tom grinned to himself. Nah, they'd never believe it. Besides, he might listen to gossip, but he didn't bother to repeat it. Wasn't much truth to most of it any way.
Chapter End Notes:
small spoilers but nothing major