- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A dead man found, and a mystery solved. That's all folks, or is it?
Chapter 3

"We got anything on the whereabouts of the husband yet?" Gibbs asked, once he was back upstairs.

"No but we put out an APB on his car, so we should find him soon," answered McGee quickly.

"Good, anything else," he asked sitting down at his desk. The three agents exchanged worried looks.

"Umm no," McGee said cautiously, "I mean not yet, Boss, working on it," he amended quickly, after Gibbs shot him a hard look.

"Actually Boss," Tony cut in, "Numerous phone calls were placed from Landers to Carson, the neighbor's house. It-"
The phone began to ring and he paused as Gibbs answered.

"We got a hit on Landers," he told them hanging up the phone, found him in a warehouse few miles from here."

"What was he doing in a warehouse?" asked Ziva confusedly.

"He's dead," Gibbs replied bluntly, "Come on."


They arrived at the scene minutes later.

"Tony shot, Ziva sketch, McGee bag and tag," Gibbs ordered. The three agents jumped to work. Ducky soon arrived to examine the body, which was laying face down on the floor.

"Oh my," Ducky muttered, "Help me turn him over Jethro." Gibbs obliged and after rolling the dead man over, they both stepped back. The man had a large number of stab wounds to the chest. Tony walked up behind the older men, looking at the dead Mr. Landers.

"Thirty-seven stabs to the chest," he said with a long low whistle. Both Gibbs and Ducky turned to look at him.

"Don't you have work to do DiNozzo?" Gibbs snapped at him.

"Finished Boss," Tony said brightly, then suddenly realized something.

"Thirty-seven. That's the number of calls made from Lander's house to Carson's."

"Get me Carson in interrogation," Gibbs ordered quickly.

"On it Boss," Tony said, but he lingered for a moment as though he had more to say.

"Now, DiNozzo," prompted Gibbs and Tony turned away biting his lip and looking as though he had missed his chance to tell him something important.

Gibbs noticed these things, but brushed them to the back of his mind as he got back to the case.



An hour later there was a very angry, slightly nervous young woman sitting in the interrogation room. Tony, Ziva and McGee were watching her in the Observation. Ziva nudged McGee and nodded toward Tony. He grimaced at her insistence.

"She's cute," McGee commented, he and Ziva both watching Tony carefully for his reaction. He said nothing, but smiled slightly.

"What's going on with you? You've been acting ve-" Ziva began to ask but he silenced her with a gesture. Gibbs had entered the interrogation room. They turned to watch him as he sat down across from the woman. McGee had been right. She was fairly attractive with long brow hair and dark green hair. She was slim and petite, but none of this mattered to Gibbs as he looked into her eyes. All that mattered was the hatred that he found there. She did was guilty, it was obvious she was hiding something, but he needed to prove it.

"You can't keep me here," she said suddenly, "I didn't do anything wrong." Her voice was high pitched and shrilly.

"Right," said Gibbs sarcastically, "So the murders of Petty Officer Landers and her husband are suddenly ‘not anything wrong'?"

"Bill's dead?" she asked sounding surprised, and suddenly pale.

"Yeah," Gibbs said impatiently, "You killed him," he accused.

"I could never," she said truthfully, " Not Bill, I- I loved him."

"So what about Erin Landers?" he asked coolly.

"That piece of scum. She's a dirt bag. I c-"

"So you killed her," said Gibbs staring her in the eyes.

"I want a lawyer," she stated.

"Get a d*** good one," Gibbs said angrily. He stood and left the room. Moments later he joined his team in Observation.

"So wh-" McGee began, but Gibbs cut him off.

"She and Bill Landers were having an affair. She kills his wife."

"And him?" asked Ziva.

"No," replied Gibbs.

"Then who?"

"Her husband," answered Tony.