- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Abby both finally wake up. It's all over, or is it?
Chapter 7

Tony rose slowly from the depths of his slumber. The first thing that he noticed were the voices. His ears heard them, but his mind, stilly groggy, couldn't quite grasp what they were saying. Slowly he began to understand.

"Why isn't he awake?" one voice was demanding. Another voice answered, sounding flustered and over worked.

"I don't know. There's nothing to indicate that he shouldn't be awake. He could just be…tired."

"Well find out," ordered the voice that he now recognized as Gibbs. Tony cracked a small smile, as he realized that Gibbs was bossing around his doctor. He slowly opened the eyes, and waited for the small hospital room to come into focus. There was Gibbs, looking threateningly at a young red-headed doctor.

"He's awake," said the doctor relievedly, eager to get Gibbs' attention off of himself. Gibbs turned quickly and crossed the room to the bed. Tony opened his mouth to speak, but Gibbs interrupted the unasked question.

"Don't speak," he said, "Save your strength." Tony shut his mouth, but suddenly all of his memories came rushing back to him. It hadn't been that he had forgotten it all, it was just as though the thoughts had been pushed to the back of his mind. He gave a soft whimper, and whispered a single name.

"Abby?" His voice was small and weak.

"She's in surgery. Going to be fine, according to him," Gibbs gestured toward the doctor.

"Why do I feel like crap?" he asked tiredly.

"Because you look like crap," answered Gibbs, "now get some rest." Tony nodded slightly, before stopping.

"Ow," he said.

"Concussion," explained Gibbs. Tony started to nod again, but caught himself in time.

"Right," he said instead, and leaned back against his pillows. Gibbs watched him for another moment, before pulling out his cell and leaving the room. He began to dial as he entered the waiting room.

"Duck, he's awake. Send the rest of the team over here," he said once Ducky had answered.

"Very well Jethro," his old friend replied, "and how is Abigail?"

"No news ye-" Gibbs began, but Dr. Reeter had returned.

"You can't use that here," he said automatically, gesturing to the cell phone, "I mean, Ms. Sciuto's out of surgery, you can see her now," he amended quickly after seeing the look the older man gave him. Gibbs nodded, and turned away again.

"She's out of surgery now, I'm going to go see her," he told Ducky. They said their good-byes and hung up. Gibbs then followed the doctor down the hallway to see Abby.

When they entered her room, Gibbs was better prepared for her condition than he had been for Tony's. She was resting peacefully, a cast on her left wrist, and a bandage over the cut on her brow. Her bruising wasn't nearly as colorful as Tony's and nowhere near as extreme. From this angle it almost looked as though she had just been in a car wreck.

"She's doing fine, the surgery went well," Dr. Reeter told him, "She should be waking up within the hour." He then turned and left the room. Gibbs sat down in the chair next to her bed, watching the forensic scientist sleep. How could he have let this happen to Abby, he wondered.

He didn't know if he actually drifted off to sleep, but all he did know was that one minute he looked up, only to find her awake. Her green eyes were wide with fear and pain.

"It's alright," he told her gently, "I'm here." In response she looked up at him, confused.

"Who are you?"