- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The next day
Gibbs waited anxiously in the elevator as it made it’s way to the bullpen. His midnight dream had seriously thrown him. the idea that Tony had known all along who he was and had played a practical joke at his expense was a scary thought. But the idea that Fornell was screwing Tony was terrifying.

He’d ended up getting to the office early to take his mind off it. Working on cold cases for the better part of 6 hours however, hadn’t helped.

He’d ducked out to get coffee, but his local haunt was under renovation, so he’d had to travel to the next one he knew of. Anyway, an hour and a bit later, he was back and on a coffee high.

He’d downed two before he’d made it back to his car. The third had been drunk between the coffee shop and the office. And now, he was finished off his fourth.

The elevator door dinged and opened, forcing him back into reality. As he approached the bullpen, Gibbs had a flashback to his nightmare and felt his anger and frustration levels rise.

Fornell was sitting on the edge of Tony’s desk, sharing bagels and coffee and talking amicably with Tony.

“Jethro,” Fornell greeted him as he walked towards his desk

“What are you doing here, Fornell?” Gibbs asked, trying to keep his voice warm, but failing miserably

Fornell smiled at him, “Get up on the wrong side of bed this morning, Gibbs?”

“You get bitten by scorpions in Mexico, Fornell?” Gibbs asked dryly

“I didn’t go to Mexico,” Fornell stated, a bit confused

“Yeah, well I didn’t go to bed,” Gibbs responded, seeing Tony cringe – or maybe that was a figment of his imagination. “What are you doing here, Fornell?”

“Just chatting with Tony,” Fornell replied, smiling at Gibbs’ reaction. Turning to Tony, Fornell smiled, “See you later, sweetcheeks,”

“Sweetcheeks?” Gibs asked as he followed Fornell to the elevator

“Yeah, that’s what Tina calls him,” Fornell replied

“Your girlfriend?” Gibbs asked as the elevator arrived

“No, a mutual friend. Long story,” Fornell responded, getting into the elevator

“I have time,” Gibbs replied, following him in

“Gibbs, I need to – ” Fornell said

“Fornell,” Gibbs interrupted him, switching the emergency stop button, “What the hell were you talking to Tony about?”

“Getting a bit jealous, Gibbs?” Fornell asked, mockingly

Gibbs shoved Fornell into the side of the elevator, “You stay the hell away from him, you hear?”

“Okay,” Fornell eventually agreed

“Good, now scoot,” Gibbs told him, bringing the elevator back to life, “And I swear, if I catch you in here for anything other than official business, I’ll rip you’re balls off,”

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The rest of the day went by without incident. Tony and Gibbs never seemed to be alone together, so they didn’t have the chance to talk.

Gibbs eventually gave up trying to get the younger man on his own, vouching to go to his house tonight instead. With a sigh, Gibbs got up and headed to the elevator for coffee.

Then fate stepped in, in the form of Tony getting into the elevator before the doors closed. Once inside, Tony hit the emergency switch, shutting down the elevator and turned to Gibbs.

“Gibbs,” Tony said

“DiNozzo,” Gibbs replied, bracing himself for what was coming

“Um, about the other night – ” Tony started

“I’m sorry, Tony, I shouldn’t have done it,” Gibbs interrupted, “Could we just forget it happened? And, ah, maybe just stay as friends…?”

Tony looked at Gibbs in shock, stunned into silence

“I mean, a relationship between us would never work, especially with the bad start we’ve gotten off to. So maybe it’d be best to forget about the whole thing and get on with our lives,” Gibbs laughed nervously, “I mean you need a strong base for a relationship, ours is a bit shaky. Chances are, it wouldn’t get much better and we’d keep screwing up…”

After a moment of silence, Gibbs continued, “Well, I mean, you probably wouldn’t screw it up. But I sure as hell would. You know, there’s a reason behind why I’ve been divorced three times and can’t hold down a relationship and… Right?”

Gibbs sighed and closed his mouth, aware that he was blabbering. He searched Tony’s face and hoped Tony would disagree with him and tell him to give the relationship another chance, or even a fresh start.

Tony thought for a while, before eventually nodding, “Yeah, right. You’re right…” Tony met Gibbs’ eyes, “Yeah…it probably wouldn’t work out anyway…”

Gibbs felt his heart clench at Tony’s words and worked hard to keep his face neutral, “Okay, uh, so, no hard feelings?”

Tony paused, searching Gibbs face, then audibly swallowing, he plastered a smile on his face, “Uh, no, why should there be? Can’t screw something up we don’t start – self preservation,”

Gibbs tried to smile, “Right…okay, good,”

Tony nodded and switched the emergency switch, bringing the lights back on and the elevator back to life.
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, so here's the next chapter as promised. i should
probably warn you all, it gets worse, but eventually it'll get
better, i promise - can't say anymore cos it'd spoil it.
love the feedback! it's great!