- Text Size +
Story Notes:
this is my first fic so i would really appreciate your comments. places and adresses are half made up. sorry. twilight never happened
Author's Chapter Notes:
when tony dies, kate thinks about the previous day and how they finally got together
Chapter 1

Bang! They all hit the deck. Only one did not get up again. Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo. Gibbs and Kate hid behind a parked van and returned fire at the three suspects shooting at them. Kate did not realize Tony was dead, she just thought he was wounded. They got two of the suspects but the third pulled away in a black pick-up.
"Tony!" Kate yelled when she ran over to him. She started to cry when she saw her partner lying still on the cold, hard floor of the parking garage. She started to get restless.
"Kate." Gibbs said as he restrained her. "Kate he's gone"
"No" Kate whined.
"Kate, come on. We have to go."
"No Gibbs, we can't just leave him."
" I'm not going to Kate. Go to the car. I'll be there soon."
Kate went to the car and mourned for her dead friend. She didn't often cry but this time she could not stop. Gibbs placed Tony's body on the back seat and covered his head with his jacket. Gibbs hardly ever cried as well but there, in that moment a single tear slid down his left cheek.
No-one said anything on the journey back to NCIS. Gibbs drove at the speed limit and Kate just sat and cried. They drove into autopsy receiving and Gibbs lifted Tony up and took him inside. Kate ran straight to Abby's lab, she needed to be with her best friend and she also had to break the news. Abby was in her office with the music blaring, as usual. When she saw Kate come in she ran to the CD player and turned the music off.
" Kate. What's wrong?"
" Abs, it's Tony. He.. he didn't make it" at that point Kate started crying again and this time Abby joined her.
"Kate, I'm so sorry. How could this happen?" Abby sobbed.
"All I know is that it is my fault"
"Kate, it's not your fault."
"It is Abs. He jumped in front of me when the shooter tried to kill me. He gave his life for mine." At this point Kate just ran out of the lab and straight to her car. Still in an enormous amount of pain.
On the way home she thought about the day before, the last day Anthony DiNozzo was alive.

*The Day Before*

"Tony!"
"Yes boss?"
"Have you got an ID on our dirt bag yet?"
"I'm working on it boss"
"Well work faster. Kate, you help him. I'm going to see what Abby has."
"Oh joy" She got up, walked over to his desk, stood behind him and bent over so she could see the screen.
"You've been wanting to get this close to me for a while now, haven't you?"
"Shut up DiNozzo. I'm not one of your bimbo 20 year olds that you can charm into anything and chat up with the stupidest lines I have ever heard."
" Your right, Kate. You aren't 20."
"You're actually joking now? Tony, a psychotic killed has kidnapped his victims daughter, who by the way is only 7, and threatening to kill her if NCIS does not clear him for a murder he did commit and 1 million dollars" she finished, taking a huge breath.
"Sorry Kate. I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I actually knew the Commander that was killed"
"You damn well should be sorry and I don't care what you do or who you knew, you will never be ‘sensitive'"
"That time of the month huh?"
"Tony! I've had enough of you. I'm going to see what Abby found."
"Definitely is."
"I heard that DiNozzo!" Kate shouted as the elevator doors closed.

"Abs!" Gibbs yelled as he entered her lab.
"Gibbs!" Abby yelled back. "What brings my Silver Haired Fox down here today?"
"Do you have the DNA I asked for?"
"Patience is a virtue Gibbs"
"Not to me and not right now."
"Someone forgot their coffee today" Abby teased
"Never. I'm having a bad day. It's this Creep. Oh and that Tony and Kate are at it again."
"Again? They already had 2 fights today and it isn't even 11 o'clock. Is it getting to you?"
"Sort of."
"Ohh. Looks like someone needs a hug" Abby said, throwing her hands out. He met her in a warm embrace.
"Eww. Am I interrupting?"
"Kate. How goes things with Tony?" Abby asked in a caring voice.
"The usual Abs. Have you got an ID on this Prick yet?" Abby's computer bleeped behind them.
"I do now" Abby said in her proud voice. "He's a former petty officer. Jason Michaels."
"That name sounds familiar. Who is he Abs?" Gibbs asked.
"You got him a dishonorable discharge 10 years ago" She replied
"Wow" Kate said. "He must have a grudge against you."
"Kate, do you think there is anyone in D.C. who doesn't have a grudge against Gibbs?"
"Good point."
"Hey!"
"Sorry Gibbs" Abby replied.
"Is there an address for him?"
"3752 Clay Street, Baltimore. Gibbs, he's kidnapped a little girl. Do you really expect him to be there?"
"Of course not Abs. I want Tony and Kate to check out his apartment"
"Not with Tony, Gibbs!" Kate moaned.
"Yes with Tony Kate. Now go!" He said in his ‘boss' voice.

As Kate walked into the bullpen, Tony jumped to his feet. "Hey Kate, I'm really sorry about what I said, in all of our fights. You know I didn't mean it right?"
"I know Tony. I didn't mean any of it either"
"Good. Let me make it up to you by letting me take you out to dinner tonight?"
"Actually Tony, I, erm, have a date"
"Oh." He said, sounding a bit too disappointed. "With who?" he said trying to sound like an interested friend.
"My boyfriend."
"Oh. I didn't know you had a boyfriend, Kate"
"Yeah. We have been seeing each other for about a month now. His name is John"
"Oh, Ok. Have fun." He said in a quiet voice
"Tony, we could go out tomorrow night" She said apologetically, trying to make up for obviously hurting him.
"Ok great." He said cheering up.
"Are you two not away yet?" Gibbs yelled and they both jumped.
"Away where boss?" Tony asked, confused.
"To Michaels' apartment"
"Who's ‘Michaels'!"
"The kidnapper DiNozzo, where ya been?" Gibbs asked, frustrated
"Sitting here Boss."
"It was rhetorical DiNozzo!" Gibbs yelled, getting more and more worked up. "Why are you still here?" at that moment Tony and Kate grabbed their stuff and ran to the elevator.
Chapter End Notes:
this is my first fic so i would really appreciate your comments
twilight never happened