- Text Size +
Chapter 4

The Next Month

It had been a long flight down to Georgia. It was an hour's drive from the airport to her parents' house. Kate could tell Tony was nervous. He sat staring out the window most of the drive. He was obviously worried what Kate's family would think of him.
"It'll be ok Tony"
"What?" he said coming out of his thoughts.
"It'll be ok"
"Yeah I know. I'm just worried about if they'll like me. What'll happen if they don't?"
"Nothing. They will. And anyway it doesn't matter, I love you" she leaned over and kissed him. "We're here" Kate's parents lived in quite a big house in the Georgia suburbs.
"Nice house" he commented.
"Thanks. We moved here when I was 6." They walked up to the front door and rang the bell. Kate's took Tony's hand to reassure him that everything was going to be ok. It was a man who opened the door. "Dad" Kate squealed, giving him a hug. "This is Tony"
"Hi." Tony said nervously.
"It's nice to meet you son." Kate's dad was about the same height as Tony, maybe just a bit taller. Kate had his eyes; they were exactly the same colour but he had fairer hair. It was still brown, but just lighter. "Come in. we don't want you catching a cold." It was the middle of November of course. They walked into the living room. It wasn't modern but by no means old fashioned. "Angela, they're here." A woman came out of the kitchen. She was smaller than Tony but still taller than Kate.
"Kate, honey it is great to see you. It's nice to see you again as well Tony."
"It's my pleasure Mrs. Todd."
"Please, call me Angela"
"Angela" he corrected himself.
"Laura, come out here and say hi to your sister. You haven't seen her in over a year and bring that husband of yours, Kate hasn't met him yet." Kate's sister walked out from a room to his left. She was the opposite of Kate. She had blond hair and green eyes like her mother. She obviously took after her mum and Kate took after her dad. But she was still pretty, like Kate.
"He's in the bathroom mum. Hi nice to met you I'm Laura."
"Tony DiNozzo. Pleased to meet you" Kate hadn't seen Tony be this polite for a long time, she was used to seeing him interrogate suspects though.
"Hi Kate. How are you?"
"I'm fine Laura, you?"
"Same. Ok Kate I would like to introduce you to my husband" she started, hearing the toilet flushing. "This is Gerald." Kate and Tony just stared at the former ME's assistant standing in front of them.
"Tony? Kate?"
"Gerald?" she said, just as surprised. "When did you marry my sister?"
"Two months ago. It never clicked that she was your sister Kate, I mean, I didn't know you were from Georgia."
"How do you three know each other" Laura asked.
"We worked together in D.C." Kate answered.
"Yeah. I was the medical examiner's assistant at NCIS until, em, I got shot"
"Oh baby, who shot you?" Laura asked concerned
"A terrorist. What ever happened to him?"
"Well he kidnapped me and then Gibbs shot him but then he came back and nearly put a round through my head but missed and then Gibbs finally got to kill the bastard. It's all a very long story" she said waving the question off, like it didn't effect her. "How's your shoulder?"
"It's a lot better. Still hurts from time to time."
"Not that I mean to break up the reunion but could we maybe move on to a happier topic?" Kate's mum said, obviously disturbed by al the talk of violence.
"So Tony," Gerald started "I never thought that you two would end up together. What happened to all the fighting and Tony's dates?"
"Your really helping her family like me man" Tony said sarcastically, but now even more worried.
"Sorry Tony. I figure you've given up your old ways?"
"Yeah. I've always loved Kate." He said, giving her one of his smiles that sent shivers up her spine.
"So, how is everyone? Dr. Mallard? Abby? Gibbs?"
"Ducky's fine, same as usual never stops talking, full of stories. Abby's shacked up with Probie. I don't think you met him and Gibbs is just the usual. Well, Gibbs for lack of a better way to describe him. We all think that he and the new director had something going when they were partners." Tony gossiped." And with us well, we got engaged but before that well, I got pneumonic plague, Kate nearly got shot by Ari…"
"Wait," Laura said, interrupting him, "You have plague?"
"Had. Past tense."
"Yeah ‘cause you were stupid enough to open a letter that was filled with ypestis."
"I didn't mean to Kate, anyway if you were so pissed at me why did you stay with me in isolation?"
"Well because I love you and well, I wasn't about to leave you alone with that nurse and let you infect her to, through ways I don't want to discuss in front of my parents!"
"Same as before then" Gerald muttered to himself
"What" Kate asked, hearing him.
"Your still fighting, so it is the same as old times"
"Yeah" Tony agreed with him. Everyone had started to feel uncomfortable but Kate and Tony had finished their argument and were happy with each other again.
"I hope everyone is hungry" Angela said "Lunch is ready"