- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Final installment.
I can't believe it's Sunday already. Before I got together with Tony time away from the office always seemed interminable. Even working on the boat didn't always help make things easier. Now, time away from the office seems entirely too short and is filled with so much more I'm half afraid I'll miss out on something.

Gabe and Carol left yesterday. They were stopping on the way back to North Carolina to visit with some of her family. From what little was said, she doesn't have much more in the way of blood relatives than I do. Her mother recently remarried and moved to Arizona. Nothing was said about her biological father, and I was leery of asking. But I did find out that she doesn't have any siblings, step or half. And her grandparents died several years ago. She is fond of her mother's brother and his son and daughter, so they were going to spend Saturday night and part of today with them before heading home.

I was sorry to see them leave. I didn't really get a chance to interact much with either one individually, and I'm surprised to find myself disappointed by that. I mean, each time I got some time one on one with any of Mike's family, I came a way better for it. But they've spent almost a week at Mike's place, and it seems only fair they spend some time with her family over the holiday.

After hugging everyone else, Gabe gave me one too...no hesitation, no need to ask for permission, just dove right in and hugged me like we'd been friends for a lifetime. He reminds me so much of Abby---all high energy and exuberance. They seem incapable of expressing their affection without getting physical and don't recognize the conventional lines most people feel the need to draw.

He was thrilled when I'd mentioned Tony and I were thinking of going to the Outer Banks in the spring. The invite to stay with him and Carol was made practically before I finished speaking. I have a feeling that just like Tony, it takes very little to make Gabe happy. Just the idea we'd come visit was enough to make him grin from ear to ear; he mentioned a least a dozen places he'd like to show us. I find myself looking forward to it and hope like hell we really can get the time off.

The house was a bit quieter with them gone. Not that Gabe or Carol were particularly loud. It's just that the constant banter going on between Zeke and Gabe and the sympathetic, sisterly camaraderie that went on with Carol and Dan make their absence decidedly hard to miss.

Everyone seemed just a bit subdued after Gabe and Carol left; no one more so than Momma C. He is the baby of the family after all so I suppose it's only natural. No tears though...from anyone. Thank God. I never knew how to handle crying women, so I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of handling a guy crying.

When it warmed up that afternoon, I somehow found myself included in a cutthroat game of basketball. Me and Tony against Mike and Zeke. Sammy wisely chose to watch from the porch, occasionally acting as referee when things got a little out of hand. Momma C and Dan acted as a cheering section, although in Dan's case quite a few jeers too. She spread her wise cracks and put downs among all of us. Some of the stuff she said was actually pretty damn funny---and raunchy. She definitely no shrinking violet and I'd bet good money she was never a cheerleader in high school.

Zeke surprised me by being nearly as fast and agile as Tony. For such a snappy dresser with a hundred dollar haircut, and a guy who got excited about shopping of all things, he was no slouch when it came to playing a mean game of basketball. I mean, I knew he was competitive, but I didn't realize he was going to be any good at the game. He wasn't like Sammy---who had excelled in the service. Or Gabe---who ran or biked or swam with Carol five days a week. Or Mike...who clearly kept himself fit through physical labor. Could tell when I met him he did more than push a pencil around, and now I guess I know some of what else he does.

I rub gingerly at a sore spot on my ribs. It's a memento from the game courtesy of Mike's elbow. Bet he's sporting a few bruises of his own so I think we're probably even. I'm damn glad Tony didn't end up with a sprained ankle like he did the last time I saw him play.

I grin remembering the wager Mike and Tony had made. I figured it would have been about who won. Instead they bet on which team would have the best combined heart rate. Made me puff out my chest just a little that Tony and I had the lowest. Guess my being the oldest guy out there didn't matter.

I grimace as I bend to pick up my bag. My quads are letting me know they didn't appreciate how I abused them yesterday. Damn. Was a time when I never got sore.

"You okay, Boss?"

"Never better." I smile. Not going to admit to anything else.

"I got some nice bath salts at my place," Tony says, not looking at me.

"Bath salts?"

"They help you to...relax."

I raise an eyebrow. "You think I need to relax?"

"No," Tony grins, "I think you are sore, but I didn't think you'd appreciate me saying so outright."

I cuff the back of his head. "Shaddup."

"That means I was right."

He doesn't quite sing that, but he comes pretty damn close. Makes me want to cuff him again, but he's already moving out of arms reach. Not worth chasing after him when I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to get him again later...probably have a new reason too.

I glance around the bedroom. Still bugs me to leave the bed unmade, but I managed to keep from doing it. I did strip it, left the sheets and comforter in a neat bundle on the trunk at the foot of the bed.

In the main room the fireplace is cold and dark. We restocked the small nearby bin with wood. Everything will be ready for laying a fire the next time we come back. That will probably be Christmas if everything goes okay. Momma C was rather firm about telling me she expected us to both attend Midnight mass with the rest of the family.

"Good thing I'm catholic," I mutter. Didn't realize I spoke loud enough for Tony to hear me or that he'd be following my thoughts so closely until he spoke.

"Wouldn't matter if you weren't, Boss."

"How so?"

"Dan's not Catholic and neither is Carol." Tony shrugs. "They go to Midnight mass too. Family thing more than a religious thing."

"Dan didn't have to convert when she and Sammy got married?"

"Nah." Tony shakes his head. "Church changed the rules on that stuff a long time ago."

I nod slowly. Shannon was Catholic when we got married so it never came up. And my other marriages were all justice of the peace things, not church weddings.

"You ready?"

"Yeah." I don't really want to leave, but it is time for us to go.

Some of my reluctance must have come across in my voice. He smiles gently and caresses my cheek with one knuckle. "Don't worry, Boss, place will be here when we need it again."

I smile at his emphasis on 'we'. Knowing he'd share this refuge with me means even more than being considered part of the Capanzini family. "Thank you."

I know he understands exactly what it is I'm thanking him for by the way his eyes glow for a moment. He drops his gaze shyly, looking away.

"C'mon." His smile is back in full force. "Mike's supposed to have my gift ready."

I am nearly a curious as Tony. Based on what I saw in Mike's workshop, whatever it is will certainly be a work of art. The man is very talented. It was an honor and a pleasure to be able to work with him even.

Tony secures the cabin door, making sure it is closed tightly against weather and wildlife alike. Given that I didn't lock my own door for years, the irony of me thinking the cabin needs a lock makes me chuckle silently. Course, I lock my door now...not going to risk having someone like Ari stroll casually into my house when Tony's there. His safety is too important. Don't want someone like the Director wandering in either. Tony's career matters too much to him for me to take it lightly. I can always retire and do okay---he doesn't have that option.

Walking to Mike's house is pleasant. The bright sunshine makes it seem warmer than it really is. I find myself wondering what this trek will be like with two feet of snow.

Tony grins at me. "Got cross country skis."

I laugh, shaking my head, as always a bit mystified by how well he reads me. "No snow shoes?"

"Tried that once." Tony snickers. "Fell down every three feet."

I grin. "I've heard there is a trick to those."

"Oh yeah." Tony shakes his head. "Most years the area doesn't get enough snow here anymore to really have to worry much about getting to and from the cabin." His expression turns rueful. "Not that I really get here in the winter very often."

Or the summer either for that matter, I can't help but think. I've read his file front to back to make sure I wasn't missing too many details any more. I know just how little time he's taken off. I'm hoping we can both find a way to use more of the vacation time we've got on the books. A few long weekends like this one were definitely a good start.

Tony locked the gate, sighing softly as he looked back up the trail. It isn't hard to tell he's feeling reluctant to leave as I am. Probably more so given what this place and the people here have meant to him for so long.

I reach out and rest my hand on the small if his back. Want him to know I'm there, I understand, but don't want to go overboard. It would only embarrass him. Tony wipes discretely at his overly bright eyes, giving me a quick smile.

"Thanks."

I nod. "You're welcome."

When he turns to continue walking to Mike's place I hold out a hand to him. He takes it, entwining our fingers. I squeeze his hand, and smile when he squeezes back. Funny how big a difference such a little thing can make.

We toss our bags into the trunk of his car before heading into the house. I have a feeling the back seat will be full of Tupperware dishes with food Momma C and Mike have packed for us. Gabe and Carol went home with a bunch too. Although, I doubt any of the cookies even lasted long enough to see them out of town. Both of them seemed to have voracious appetites when it came to Momma C's cookies.

"You think Momma C has any of those little almond cookies left?"

Tony laughs softly. "She said she'd make more just for you."

"Doesn't mean there are any left." Zeke likes them too. And while he's not as big an eater as his little brother and future sister-in-law, he's more than capable of putting a sizeable dent in any Momma C made.

"Don't worry. Momma C is used to dealing with her kids." Tony grins. "She'll have made Zeke's favorite too, and he won't get any if he touches yours."

"What about your favorite," I ask as we step up on to the porch. I hadn't actually seen him express any real preference for a particular sweet. As far as I could tell, as long as it was loaded with sugar Tony would eat it.

"Any thing she makes is my favorite," he says, confirming what I suspected.

Momma C is in the kitchen, making sure several containers are completely sealed when we walk in. She smiles warmly and says something in Italian that I recognize as a greeting. Tony responds, smiling back. She has to stretch up on the tips of her toes to place a kiss on each of his cheeks even when he bends over to make it easier. I am secretly thrilled when she gives me a kiss on each cheek too.

I force myself not to peek at what might be inside the Tupperware she left on the counter. In addition to almond cookies, I'm hoping for leftover turkey, and some of that broccoli salad stuff. Bound to be some of that in one of those---I hope.

Tony's attention is more focused on what's on the table. Mike didn't wrap his gift, which I think is the norm for these things; at least Sammy said it was. According to him, Mike had just shown up with his cedar chest and made him help unload it. Same with the dresser Mike refurbished for Gabe. Zeke's vase he'd shipped, so technically it was wrapped, but no fancy ribbons or shiny paper.

Mike clears his throat, drawing attention to where he's standing in the doorway that led to the den. He smiles and wags his eyebrows at Tony. "Well, go on. See what you think."

Tony grins, taking three long strides to the table. I follow behind, trying not to look quite as eager as Tony does. Pretty sure I fail at it if the looks Sammy and Zeke give me when they walk in from the living room are anything to go by.

Mike made what looks like a medium sized box; it is anything but plain or ordinary. The grain pattern of birds eye maple, edged with burled walnut make for a stunning contrast of light and dark, especially on the corners where the tongue and groove construction is visible. The satin smooth, high gloss finish just begs to be touched as it reflects the overhead lighting. But the real show piece is the circle inlay of exotic wood on the top that form a compass rose. I recognize the rosewood, striped ebony and purpleheart only because Mike had shown me samples of them earlier.

Tony's fingers barely touch it as they ghost over the top. He looks at Mike, green eyes glowing with obvious delight and appreciation. "There a trick to it?"

"Yep."

Tony grins, and his touch becomes more deliberate. I'm amazed when he turns the compass rose. It slides easily, rotating smoothly so that north and south are now reversed. A small click sounds and what appeared to be seamless construction reveals itself to be a lid.

Inside the box is velvet lined, and form fitted to hold two guns. There is space for Tony's main sidearm, his 9MM, and a spot for his smaller back up ankle piece. There is even a slot for a knife with its sheath, and a place for his badge.

"Thought you could do with a nice place to keep the tools of your trade," Mike says softly. "Something not so utilitarian, but still functional."

"I love it, Amico." Tony steps over to Mike and hugs him. "Grazie."

He says something else in Italian. I'm guessing it's praise for the gift. It really is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Makes me wish I had one of my own. The storage box I have for my handguns is the definition of utilitarian?dull gray and sturdy with an old fashioned lock to secure it. Rifles have a nicer place, but still not on par with what Mike made.

"Think you could make me one?" Sammy asks, fingers lightly caressing the sides of the box. Makes me smile to know I'm not the only one who's a little envious.

Mike snorts. "You have too many guns to fit in a box that size."

"Way too many guns," Dan says as she steps into the kitchen, patting Sammy on the shoulder. "Besides, we need a crib more than you need a gun cabinet."

Sammy grins, throwing an arm over her shoulder before placing a kiss in her hair. "That we do, Sweetheart, that we do."

"You two ready to head out then," Dan asks, looking from me to Tony.

Tony sighs. "Ready as we'll ever be."

"Not too long until Christmas," Mike reminds him, placing a kiss on each cheek. Mike gives me a solid handshake, and a warm smile. "You are both welcome to come back before then, if you want. You know where the key is."

"Thanks."

He leans in and whispers, "And if you happen to destroy that ugly little gnome, I will not be at all upset."

I laugh. "Not a chance." If Gipetto ends up in pieces it will because some one else made him that way. Not going to risk upsetting Momma C over some tacky bit of lawn art.

I get a handshake from Sammy too. "Fair winds."

"And following seas," I answer him.

Tony gets a breath stealing hug from Sammy and a cautionary, "Keep your head down."

Such advice shouldn't really be necessary. Not like we are actually in combat, but in combat the enemy is usually a little more obvious than some of the things we've run into. Don't find many he/she's or poisoned letters or serial killers with foot fetishes while in a war zone. And Tony's been hurt a lot on the job---get the feeling that isn't news to this family the way it might be to his blood relatives.

"I'll be careful." Tony's answer could have been considered flippant if not for his the look in his eyes when he makes eye contact with Sammy.

Dan hugs us both. Like Gabe, she isn't shy about showing her affection. She wipes at her eyes, but doesn't cry, smiling brightly at both of us.

Zeke hugs Tony hard, almost as though he doesn't want to let go, burying his face in Tony's shoulder. He did the same thing when he said goodbye to Gabe. Of everyone in the family, he seems the most affected by people leaving.

Tony says something to Zeke, too soft for anyone else to hear. The younger man laughs weakly, but lifts his head. He kisses both Tony's cheeks before pulling away.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Jethro," Zeke says, offering me his hand. Acting on impulse I pull him into a hug and tell him the pleasure was mine. The grin I get from him tells me I did the right thing.

Momma C hugs Tony again. "Be sure to eat," she tells him. "More than junk, si?"

"I'll eat," Tony says, kissing both her cheeks, "more than junk."

She hugs me, before cupping my face with both hands. "You remember to eat to, you hear me, si?"

I nod. It is easier to just agree. And it's not like I said how much or promised to eat any green leafy things. She tilts my face and kisses me on the forehead.

"You take care of my Antonio."

"I will."

"You take care of yourself too."

"Yes, Ma'am."

She nods. "You are a good man, Leroy Jethro Gibbs."

I can feel my face warm at her endorsement. Before I can say or do anything, Momma C turns to look Zeke and Sammy. "You boys help take the food to Antonio's car. Michael, do you have something soft to wrap your nice gift? It wouldn't do for it to be damaged before Antonio can use it."

A chorus of 'yes, momma' echoes around the room and people are motion. Never fails to impress me how quickly they snap to when she orders them to do something. She'd have made one hell of a drill sergeant except she never really raises her voice.

"If you ask her nice, she might tell you just how she does that," Tony whispers to me, grinning as we step outside.

"I can get my team to jump."

Tony snickers. "Sure, but not like she can."

I don't have an answer to that so I just cuff the back of his head. He laughs, uncowed and unrepentant. Wouldn't really want him to be any other way.

It's another round of goodbyes before we actually leave. Those are mercifully brief. There were no tears when Gabe and Carol left---and I am glad we are getting away without any too.

Food is in the back seat along with Mike's gift which is now wrapped in a bit of terry cloth. Gas tank is full. Tony filled it yesterday at the little convenience store just down the road.

Tony buckles is seat belt. "You ready to get back to the real world?"

For as much as I'm going to miss Mike and his family, and for all I enjoyed the time away from the office, I'm ready to get back to work. "Yeah." I give him a look as we pull out of the drive and head back to D.C. "You?"

"Fun to take a break but I miss the job." Tony grins. "Miss Abby. Miss harassing Probie and Ziva."

I take a sip from the coffee cup Sammy was kind enough to fill and put in the car. "Don't really miss Ducky's stories."

"But I do miss him." Tony holds out a hand and I take it. "And just think, he'll have a bunch of new stories to share."

I roll my eyes. "If that is supposed to be helpful?"

"Just honest." Tony laughs.

"You could work on being less honest."

"Could." But he isn't going to. He lets go of my hand and points to the back seat. "Cookies are on top. They'll go good with your coffee."

Like I actually need added incentive to get out the cookies. I reach around to grab the blue container on top. There must be five different kinds of cookies in it.

Tony sighs. "Now that is proof of love right there."

I arch an eyebrow. "I can't cook."

He leers at me. "You show your love in other ways." He does that little purring growl and I struggle not to shift in my seat. "You can show me when we get home."

Oh yeah. Definitely. Hell, if I play my cards right I might get a repeat of the trip down here---without having to fight before hand.

"You...ah...think you can find a secluded spot along on the way?"

He gives me a sly look. "For one of your cookies, I can."

I offer him the container. "Drive fast."

Tony laughs and floors it.
Chapter End Notes:
Some small spoilers, but if you blink you'll miss them.