- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Momma C talk for a bit.
I'm not sure what I expected when we finished eating. But Zeke and Gabe start clearing the table like a couple of pros. I'm wondering if I should help. Before I can decide, Tony pats my leg and tells me quietly to stay put.

I'd feel weird about sitting there doing nothing except Carol, Mike and Momma C are doing the same thing. I remember Tony saying whoever cooked doesn't have to clean, so I'm guessing that's why they are still relaxing at the table.

Tony helps Zeke and Gabe. They work together surprisingly well given the sibling rivalry the younger two brothers have displayed since we got here. Probably why Momma C and the others tolerate it so well---for all their verbal sparing it is obvious they really like each other and genuinely enjoy their on going competition. And it certainly hasn't affected their ability to work together if the rate they care clearing the table is anything to go by.

"Antonio?"

"Si?" Tony looks up from where he's gathering the last of the dishes. Doesn't look like he's forgotten anything from when he worked as a waiter. Would still like to see him in a tux. Just have to find the right occasion for it.

Momma C is smiling at him. Can definitely see the fondness in her eyes when she looks at my lover. Not sure Mike was entirely right when he said Tony is her favorite but I can see why he'd think so.

"Would you bring out the coffee, por favor?"

Tony smiles. "Sure, Momma C."

The large eat in kitchen means I can still see and hear what's going on anywhere in the room from the table. Probably one of the reasons Mike remodeled it in the first place. I can easily track Tony's progress to the coffee pot.

I was hoping someone would suggest coffee; wasn't sure it would be kosher for me to ask for it. I like wine, and the stuff Zeke poured was good, but I want something hot. And I have the feeling I may need to be awake and on my toes.

I duck my head to hide a smile hearing Zeke and Tony still talking about the Ohio State game. Tony was more than just a little smug that his Alma Mater won. And he's been rubbing it in off and on since we sat down to eat.

"Told you not to bet on Michigan." Tony says as he fills the coffee pot, hitting a few buttons to get the machine going.

"Even Sport Illustrated picked them, Tony." Zeke's deep voice carries easily even when he's speaking softly. He looks over his shoulder at Tony, hands buried deep in the sink. "They have the one of the best defensive lines out there."

"Best defense is a good offense, Zeke," Tony points with a laugh. "And Michigan wasn't that good. Ohio's is clearly better."

"Sammy picked Michigan too."

"And that's what you get for listening to him over me."

I can see him move to start drying dishes already washed, piling them on the opposite counter from where the other dirty dishes are waiting their turn. They work easily with one another. Guessing they've done this chore together more than once.

"I thought you were just being sentimental. You always pick Ohio."

Gabe is rolling his eyes as he walks back to the table carrying several coffee mugs. "Never should have mentioned the game."

"Pretty sure they'd have brought it up on their own, baby brother." Mike chuckles. "And when Sammy gets here it will get worse."

"Don't I know it." Gabe snorts, before grinning widely. "But he did lose a hundred bucks to Tony, so I'm thinking it might just be worth it."

"How much did you win?" I ask. He looks too much like a cat that ate the canary for him not to have bet on the winning team.

He smiles. "I didn't bet any money on the game."

Carol laughs. "But you did have a wager."

Mike snickers. "You bet travel plans again, didn't you?"

Gabe grins. "Sammy and Dan have to come see us this summer." He rest on hand on Carol's shoulder, smiling down at his fiance. "And it's only fair. We went to the farm last year."

"Sammy is almost as bad as Momma about traveling," Mike says, filling me in on why Gabe's victory so clearly a big deal to him.

"I am not bad about traveling," Momma C interjects, shooting her oldest son an annoyed glance. "I simply do not like planes. If I were meant to fly, God would have given me wings."

"You used to fly," Gabe points out quietly. "You went back to Italy several times."

"I was younger then," she gives him a look that clearly says the discussion is closed.

Guessing something happened that made her dislike flying...something they probably all know about, and never discuss openly. I'll admit, at least to myself, I'm not man enough to ask for details. Things have gone well so far tonight. Not going to fuck it up by asking about something so clearly off limits.

Tony and Zeke walking in with a full coffee pot, and a tray with what has to be cream and sugar, is enough to break some of the tension. I can tell Tony knows something's up, but only because I know him so well. He's good at subtle. Can't help a little surge of pride in his skill.

He gives Mike a quick look, and something passes between them. I have to squash the instinctive flash of jealousy that engenders. I don't want him to do that silent communication with anyone but me; which I know is just stupid and juvenile. He's known Mike for seventeen years for crying out loud. It's only natural they'd have the sort of history where one look could speak volumes. I'm not going to make an ass out of myself by being pissy over their ability to have an entire conversation with just a look, but I do make a note to ask about it later. I've already gotten quite a list of things to ask him about once we're alone.

Tony pours the coffee, offering full mugs to any one who wants one and neatly opening a new topic for discussion. If I hadn't seen it, I'd never even know there was any sort of disruption at all. The moment of tension is gone that fast. Like a ripple in a pond.

"So did you finish it yet?" Tony asks, looking at Mike expectantly.

"Almost." Mike grins. "It'll be ready before you leave."

Tony's eyes sparkle. I know that look. Reminds me of a cat ready to pounce. Makes me wonder just what 'it' is. I knew Mike was making something for Tony, I just didn't know what.

"Can I see?"

"No. Not until it is done." Mike points a finger at Tony. He gives his younger brothers a firm look as well. "Don't you two be trying to peek for him. And no teasing either."

"Spoil sport." Gabe and Zeke speak together. Carol snickers, shaking her head. Evidently they really do this stereo thing a lot.

"You had to wait for yours. Only fair he does too."

I remember Tony saying Mike had made something for each of his brothers. Wish I'd thought to ask for more detail then on what he'd made for them. Might be a clue there to what Mike made for Tony. I'm almost as curious as my lover about whatever 'it' is.

"I've already waited longer than they have." Tony doesn't quite pout, but he's damn close to it.

"Then another day or two won't hurt."

"C'mon, Mike, you know that's just bull--"

"Patience is a virtue," Momma C points out with a small smile, cutting Tony off before he can complete what was no doubt a curse. "One all of my children would do well to practice, eh?" She gives them all a look that makes it easy to picture Mike, Zeke and Gabe as small boys. Not hard to envision them trying to sneak a peek at Christmas and birthday presents. Bet they got their hands smacked more than once.

She takes a sip from her mug before making a shooing motion. "Go play a game or something. I want to speak to Jethro."

No one but me seems surprised by her declaration. Shit. I am not ready. I was thinking I'd have another day?two, maybe. Or never. Never would be good.

She looks at me steadily, before turning a calm, inscrutable gaze on Tony. He was just about to retake the seat next to me when she says something in Italian. I can tell he's about to protest but all it takes is a look from her to stop him cold. Damn. Can't help but being impressed with how well she does that even though I resent her for it.

Tony leans down to whisper in my ear, "She doesn't bite, Boss. You'll be fine."

Traitor, I want to shout at him when he leaves with the others, heading for the living room. I manage to keep my mouth shut because I can't see how calling Tony names would help my case any. And honestly, I couldn't see him fighting her. Hell, she's got me pinned in my chair right now and I've only just met the woman.

It's a weird feeling to be on the other side of an interrogation. Not entirely sure what to expect. I take a deep breath and wait for her to start.

She smiles. "Tony says you were a Marine."

"Yes, Ma'am." It's not a question, but I answer her anyway.

Not sure if it's good or bad that Tony's talked to her about me. On one hand, it's good because well, she knows about me, which is reassuring. Not like he just sprung me on her. But there is always a down side, depending on what all he's said about me over the years. She's probably heard more about me as his boss more than she has about me as his lover. Most of the time I take pride in being a bastard when it comes to the job, but this isn't about the job. First time I can remember sitting across a table from someone and not wanting them to think of me as a mean son of a bitch they don't want to fuck with. This would be so much easier if I didn't care what she thought.

She measures me with her eyes. "He says you were married."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Four times?" She raises an eyebrow.

I sip my coffee sorely tempted to just say 'yes ma'am' again, even though I know that's not going to cut it. I clear my throat. It still hurts to say it out loud even after fifteen years. "My first wife was killed while I was overseas."

"It is hard to lose a loved one." Her voice is so soft I barely hear her speak.

"Yes, it is." I remember Tony saying her husband died when Mike was a teenager. So we have a common ground of sorts.

"You sought..." she frowns clearly seeking the right word, "solace with another? Married them to replace the one you lost?"

"I did, yes." It still shames me to think how stupid I was to try and replace Shannon with anyone. They were never going to be anything but a stand in, a poor substitute for the real thing. Ended up resenting Diane and the others for not being her, which was hardly their fault or fair. Course, I didn't even realize that myself until just a few months ago. Who would have thought getting caught in an explosion could be a good thing?

"Are you still doing this?" She frowns, dark eyes narrowing as she studies me. "Using my Antonio as a stand in? Treating him as...second-best?"

"No." I didn't shout...just barely. "Tony is no substitute." I sit forward, wanting there to be no mistake between us. "He is one of a kind."

"Bene." She tips her head slightly. "He should be loved for himself, not for another."

"I know."

She smiles at me and I feel like I did the when I passed my first proficiency test in Basic Training. Definitely said the right thing.

She cocks her head slightly. "And these other three wives? You do not strike me as Casanova, trading one for another."

"They all left me." I smile tightly, knowing I'm going to have to give her a reason for why they didn't choose to stay. "I am a hard man to live with."

She snorts delicately. "No man is easy to live with."

"I get a bit obsessive about the job."

"Tony did not mention you have a gift for understatement." She chuckles. It's low, raspy and sounds so much like Tony it's hard to believe they aren't blood relatives.

"What did he tell you?" I can't resist asking.

"Many things." She smiles enigmatically. "But all that really matters, Jethro, is that he says you make him happy. And that I can see for myself."

She reaches across the table and pats my cheek. "You hurt him, and I will see you burn in hell. Capisci?"

She means that. I nod my head. "Got it."

Wonder if how seriously this family takes relationships is why it took Gabe so long to propose to Carol. Tony said they'd been dating five years before he asked her to marry him. And he said Sammy didn't bring Dan by to meet his family until they'd been seeing each other for more than a year. Can see why they'd want to be sure their love interests could handle an introduction to this family. Not something for the faint of heart that's for damn sure.

Just like that I get a flash of insight. Tony would have done a hell of a lot more than just offer to spend the holiday somewhere else if he didn't think we were worth it. He sure has hell wouldn't have left me alone with either Mike or Momma C if he thought for one second I couldn't handle it, or wouldn't pass muster.

"You give Carol and Dan this same speech?" Maybe it's just me or Tony that engenders this sort of thing. Wouldn't hurt to know for sure before I get to feeling too smug.

She laughs, deep and rich. "Slightly different versions, naturally, but yes, they received a similar warning." She pats my cheek again. "Welcome to the family, Jethro."

"Thanks." She means that as much as she did her earlier threat. I think I could really like these people.

"Come." She gets up from the table. "I cannot hear my children, which likely means they are up to no good."

She gives me an impish grin that Gabe no doubt inherited from her. Her eyes sparkle and it isn't hard to imagine what she looked like as a young woman. Momma C had to have been just as lovely and lively then as she is now. "They are probably listening at the door."

I chuckle. "I would have."

"Bene." She pats my arm. "You are more like us than not."

I smile at her. That is one of the best compliments I've ever gotten.
Chapter End Notes:
slightly AU---as most of you likely know if you've been reading the series. :-)