- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Little more with the family.
I step out of Mike's shower grateful he had the foresight to have an extra large water heater installed and sufficient water pressure the guest bathroom and the master bath could be used at the same time. Admit I'm a little disappointed Tony and I couldn't shower together, but like staying at the cabin instead of Mike's place, privacy is a premium.

Mike's got the same oversized, fluffy towels Tony has. Would bet good money that Tony bought them for his friend. Mike seems more like me---too practical to spend enough money to turn something so utilitarian into a luxury. Although, I do like Tony's towels better than mine. Not that I'd admit that out loud.

Shame Tony didn't stock Mike's bath with his usual line of soap and shampoo. Wish I'd thought to pack what he kept at my place. Still not sure exactly what brand it is or where he gets it, but I like the smell of it.

Glad the dress is mostly casual. Jeans, t-shirt and a long sleeve flannel over it are good enough. Well, except for Zeke. He looks like something out of a catalog. Figure that's just the way he is.

I grimace as I look in the mirror. Tony likes my hair longer, but I find myself still expecting to see it short. Not quite a high and tight, but close. Seems weird to have it long enough I actually need to comb into some semblance of order. I snicker thinking Gabe probably spends as much time on his hair as one of my ex-wives did.

I make sure the bathroom is just as neat and clean when I leave as when I entered. It is mostly habit since I do the same thing at home, but I don't want anyone to think I'm a slob.

I stuff my dirty clothes into the same small duffle bag I brought the clean ones in and head down stairs. The smells drifting in from the kitchen are amazing. My stomach rumbles loudly.

"Sounds like you could do with something to eat." Zeke smiles up at me from the foot of the stairs. He's got a coffee mug in hand.

"Could use a cup of coffee more."

Zeke jerks his head toward the living room and I follow not entirely surprised to see a tray on the side table. Kind of got the impression eating anywhere other than the kitchen was sort of taboo. But with the kitchen is pretty much off limits at the moment, not a lot of choice.

Not sure how long access to the kitchen will be restricted. Momma C shooed us through the kitchen almost the second we walked in, saying something in Italian I didn't need an interpreter to understand. Thinking we won't be welcome back in until lunch is ready.

Not like anyone will starve until then. Neatly lined up on the tray are a collection of mini bagels, scones and a variety of toppings. Enough there to feed a small army.

Carol and Gabe are lounging on the couch, looking very comfortable in each other's space. I'm a bit envious of their being able to be so close until I remember that Tony and I can do the same thing here. Find myself looking forward to cuddling on the couch with him and not having to worry who might see us doing it.

I pour myself a cup of coffee and breathe in the aroma. Love that smell. I was surprised to learn last night that Gabe doesn't actually drink anything with caffeine. Can't decide if it's scary or reassuring that his high energy level is completely natural.

Tony comes bounding down the stairs a second later. Like me he's in jeans. Instead of a flannel shirt he's got on a green sweater that matches his eyes. I really like that one. A lot.

He immediately checks the side table, evidently expecting food to be there. "Scones!" Tony says with glee, obviously pleased to see those on the table.

"I even left you some raspberry jam," Gabe calls out.

"More like Momma C got out another jar," Carol says dryly, arching an eyebrow at her fiane.

He holds out his hands, palm up as though balancing something. "Six of one, half a dozen of another."

"That the total number of scones and bagels you ate already this morning?" Tony asks, eyeing Gabe.

Gabe just grins back. "Maybe."

"Maybe?" Zeke snorts. "Keep eating like that little brother and you're going to get big as a house."

Zeke sticks out his tongue at Gabe. "Carol said she'd still love me if I were fat."

I have trouble picturing him ever getting fat. Could happen I suppose. Once his metabolism slows down. If it ever does. Just as hard to picture Tony as getting fat. No matter how much he eats, he never seems to gain weight. Wonder if Gabe sheds weight with the same alarming ease Tony seems to. With so much in common, it really is hard to remember Tony isn't a blood relative to these people.

Watching the amount of jam Tony is spreading on his scone, I wonder if Gabe was equally generous with it. Probably. Would explain why a second jar was necessary. Given how little is left in that jar a third might be needed.

I hold out my hand in a silent request, and Tony gives me half of his scone without hesitation. One bite and I know why the raspberry jam doesn't last very long. Damn that's good. From the smile on Zeke's face, I'm pretty sure he knows what I just realized.

"I'll see if Momma's got another jar squirreled away some where."

"Might want to make that two," Carol calls after him, laughing softly. "Dan will want some to take home with her."

"I thought she liked the strawberry better," Gabe says, frowning.

"No, that's Sammy," Tony offers, pouring himself a cup of coffee adding an ungodly amount of cream and sugar.

He pops the rest of his scone in his mouth. Kind of surprised to find I've already eaten the half he gave me. I spread more jam on another scone, offering Tony half before moving to sit on the loveseat. It makes me very happy when Tony opts to sit next to me, his leg and shoulder against mine.

"Where is Mike?" He's the only one I hadn't seen yet.

"Garage." Gabe grinned at Tony. "He's working on your present."

Tony gives him a dirty look. "Mike said no teasing."

"Poppa Mike isn't here." Gabe doesn't quite sing that, but it's close.

My fingers itch to smack the back of his head. I don't mind the team teasing Tony?it's a normal part of how they interact with one another. I know he's good friends with these people, one of the family even, but it feels wrong to me to let anyone who isn't a teammate tease him.

"He'd believe me if I told him you were being a bad boy," Tony grins, bright and smug, pointing a finger at Gabe. "You know he would."

Gabe rolls his eyes. "Tattletale."

"Not my fault you give me so much to work with."

Gabe's lower lip protrudes in an exaggerated pout. "You don't have to use it, you know."

Tony snickers. "Now where would the fun in that be?"

Zeke comes back in with another jar of jam. He gives Tony a questioning look, holding up the jar. Tony nods. He gives me the same look and I realize he's offering to bring us more scones from the table. I nod. I could eat another one, even if I probably shouldn't.

"I'll have to run another mile to work all this off, and we haven't even gotten to lunch yet," Carol says with a sigh.

"You don't think the ten you normally do are enough?" Zeke asks as he slathers jam on half a dozen scones.

"Ten miles?" I hadn't realized she was a runner, although given her fit, athletic build I probably should have.

"Training for a marathon," she says with a shy smile.

"More than a marathon," Gabe corrects her, one arm around her in a loose hug, pride obvious in his voice. "Carol is going to compete in a triathlon."

"Seriously?" Tony gives her an appraising look. "When did you decide to do that?"

"Last year when we were up to see Sammy and Dan. A buddy of his from the service does them and he was there. We got to talking---"

"And one thing led to another," Zeke finished, offering her a scone from the plate he had. He slapped Gabe's hand when he reached for one before Carol did. "Ladies first."

"You going to compete too?" Tony asks Gabe.

"Only if someone is chasing me." Gabe rolls his eyes. "I plan to lead the cheering section."

"Don't let him fool you." Carol laughs softly, offering him a bit of her scone. "He runs with me every morning."

"Bike seats are a bitch," Gabe says with a grimace. "Lance Armstrong is one tough dude."

Zeke offers us the plate of scones and I take one. Tony takes two, giving Zeke a cheeky grin.

"Knew you would do that." Zeke smiles back. "Only way to make sure there would be one for me too."

"Always said you were a bright boy."

I can just make out Momma C singing in the kitchen. No idea what song it is or even what she's saying but she has a nice voice.

"You sure we shouldn't help her?"

"Positive." That comes from both Zeke and Gabe.

Tony sighs, shaking his head. "She's adamant about doing thanksgiving dinner herself. Has been for as long as I've known her."

"Gives her a chance to cook for the family again. She says she misses it." Zeke tells me as he sits on the couch next to Gabe and Carol. He smiles at Tony. "And with you here, she can say it was the whole family this year."

I know he doesn't mean anything bad by that comment. It's not a deliberate dig against me, but I tense anyway. Tony leans into me, grounding me, reminding me that he doesn't hold my stupidity against me, doesn't blame me. Still think maybe he should, but I'm not going to say that out loud.

"Sammy missed a few years in a row too," Gabe says softly his expression pensive, brown eyes troubled.

"He's okay now, baby," Carol kisses his cheek. "Came through that just like he said he would."

"Incident that got Sammy his medical discharge from the service," Tony whispers. "He was in the hospital for months. Doctors weren't sure if he'd make it for awhile there."

I remember Tony telling me that whatever happened to Sammy was still classified. That he'd been discharged from the SEALS about the same time Tony joined NCIS. Back when Tony and I met, he looked worn down, rough around the edges, but I didn't know him well enough then to say for sure. I'd thought it was just the job and having to balance working with me and his shithead of a partner. Remember him being on his cell phone a lot and mentioning Bethesda. Only made note of that because I thought it might have been related to the case.

"He's okay now though, right?"

"Mostly, yeah." Tony shivers, green eyes clouded by what have to be painful memories. "Lost his spleen, a kidney and part of his liver." He looks down at his half eaten scone, setting it aside. "Still has screws and a metal plate in his right femur."

I wince. Damn. More than just a bullet wound then. Probably shrapnel. Not often one bullet does that sort of extensive damage. Which also explains why he was discharged.

I realize his friend's injuries might be the reason why Tony took the job when I offered it. Working for NCIS gave him a chance to do something for guys in the service like Sammy. Certainly more than he could do working as a Baltimore homicide cop.

"Was what happened to Sammy why you took the job--"

"One of several." Tony gives me a wry look, before patting my leg. "By that time, I had more than one."

Know it's a bit petty, but it still gives me a little rush to know I was one of the reasons he took the job.

"Don't let that go to your head, Boss." He grins at me, shadows no longer lurking in his eyes.

Some days it sucks that he knows me so well. Instead of a cuff to the head, I squeeze the back of his neck and shake him lightly. He grins and picks up his scone again. It's worth it to see him smile, and it's definitely a good sign his appetite is back.

A second later when I hear Mike enter and call out, "Sammy and Dan are here."

Everyone else scrambles up from there respective places, eager to meet the missing member of the family. Me, I feel more like the scone I just ate turned to lead. Shit.

Tony holds out a hand to me. He pulls me to my feet, and gives me a quick kiss. Can taste the raspberry jam in his mouth. Not surprised to find it tastes even better that way. We are definitely taking a jar of that home. Assuming I survive meeting Sammy, of course.

"C'mon, Marine." Tony tugs at my hand, pulling me toward the kitchen. "I'll protect you."

"You better."
Chapter End Notes:
No spoilers.