- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Sammy talk.
I hang back a bit and let the rest of the family greet the new arrivals. I want a chance to observe before being drawn into the middle of what I can only describe as a nearly deafening, joyful chaos. Everyone seems to be talking, laughing and hugging at once.

Dan is stunningly lovely in person. Unlike the anorexic model types that grace the covers of every woman's magazine in the country there is nothing remotely cold, untouchable or standoffish about her. Her smile is just as warm and friendly as Tony's are apt to be. She evidently has no trouble with her mother-in-law if the hug they are sharing is anything to go by.

Sammy is not nearly as quiet as Mike, but he isn't as open and energetic as Zeke and Gabe were when I first met them. He is the shortest of the four brothers. He's got more muscle packed on to his wiry frame, which makes him seem stockier than he really is. His ash blond hair is a neat crew cut that would meet with my drill instructor's approval.

I notice a thin scar that runs along his right cheekbone and up to his temple, disappearing into his hairline. Probably a souvenir from the same mission that got him discharged. If it was shrapnel, he was lucky not to lose the eye.

Sammy pulls Tony into a bear hug that is just has fierce the ones he gave his brothers. They exchange cheek kisses. Sammy cups Tony's face and says something I can't hear but it makes Tony smile shyly.

Green eyes search for me, and I step forward. Time to face the music. Tony waves me closer, wrapping his arm around my shoulder when I am close enough.

"Sammy, this is Jethro Gibbs."

Sammy's dark brown eyes give me a frank appraisal in less than a second. Not sure what to make of his look, but he holds out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Gibbs."

His voice distinguishes him from his brothers as well. It's a rough, gravelly bass. Not unpleasant, just somewhat surprising.

"Nice to meet you too." I shake his hand. His grip is strong but not crushing. No stupid, pointless display of testosterone.

"Dan?" Sammy calls out. "Have you met Gibbs yet?"

"No." She approaches with a warm smile. "So nice to finally meet you."

Her hand is very fine boned, literally dwarfed by mine. So I take it delicately, leery of applying too much pressure. She laughs softly, squeezing my hand.

"I'm not that fragile."

I can feel my face warm a bit. But I'm still glad I was gentle with her. Can't see anyone in this family being happy if I'd hurt her, even accidentally, especially Sammy.

"You have to be tough, Dan," Tony grins, "or you'd never survive living with Sammy."

She laughs, taking one of Sammy's hands with both of hers. "Oh he's just a big teddy bear."

Tony snorts. "You've never sparred with him."

She gives Tony a knowing look. "Sure I have." She waggles her eyebrows. "Just on a softer mat that the one you guys use. And with an entirely different goal in mind."

"God, I should hope so." Zeke interjects with a snicker. "Not like you need to know how to take down an enemy sentry in total silence."

"Not like Tony needs to either," Gabe points out, grinning.

No, I think, Tony doesn't need to know how to do that, but it's a good skill to have. Knowledge like that could save his life, and probably has more than once. I'm grateful Sammy taught him some Judo and Aikido. Sparring with Tony without him holding back was definitely enlightening. He's not as good as I am, yet, but he does more than hold his own.

"Sammy just likes putting me through hell." Tony's still grinning so it is clear he doesn't really mind.

"No, I like having a student who actually listens." Sammy gives Gabe a smirk. "I'm sure Carol has her hands full just making sure you're housebroken."

Gabe rolls his eyes. "I'm not that bad."

"Yes, you are." That comes from Mike, Sammy and Zeke at the same time.

Carol wraps an arm around his waist. She mock glares at his brothers. "Don't make me sic Momma on you."

Momma C for her part just laughs. She's obviously used to their antics. She certainly seems to know when to stop them before they go too far.

She glances at the clock and then toward the oven. Get the feeling we're about to be sent back to the living room to entertain ourselves. I'm not the only one, because Sammy whistles sharply once, getting everyone's attention.

"Before we get banished from the kitchen, Dan and I have an announcement." Sammy smiles at his wife. "You want to tell them?"

She grins back, before reaching out to take Momma C's hands. "You are going to be a grandmother."

Momma's mouth drops open. Then she's hugging Dan to her, babbling something in Italian and looking like she's going to cry.

I wasn't really surprised by Dan's announcement. Tony said Sammy had mentioned having big news to share with the family and Dan was practically glowing every time she smiled. Shannon had the same look about her when she was carrying Kelly. Sammy looked as proud and excited as his wife, accepting the congratulations and hugs being offered with a huge smile.

Gabe and Zeke immediately start suggesting baby names. Sounds like a competition to find the worst baby name out there. God help this kid if Dan or Sammy take them up on anything they've started tossing out. What kid would want to be saddle with a name like Aloysius or Eunice for life?

Carol and Momma C seem focused on planning a baby shower as near as I can tell. Only half of everything being said is in English. Not sure I honestly want to know what all is being planned or talked about. For all I know they are talking about the merits of natural childbirth.

I remember going through that with Shannon. Being there for Kelly's birth still ranks as one of the most miraculous moments of my life. It's right up there with the first time she called me 'daddy'. I shake my head and refocus. Some things are best left alone.

Mike and Tony seem to be setting the ground rules for betting on the baby's gender, weight, date and time of birth. I almost expect Sammy to be offended but he's arguing that he shouldn't be disqualified from betting just because he's the father.

"This kid is going to need shoes, you know?" Sammy scowls at his older brother.

"This kid is going to be spoiled rotten." Mike looks pointedly at their mother. "You really think he or she is going to want for much?"

"Besides," Tony smiles brightly, "it's not like you'll be using the money for that anyway."

"Seed money for a trust fund," Mike says, chuckling when he sees me looking confused by Tony's statement. "We figured out what to do with the money first. Given how smart Dan is, this little Capanzini will probably end up going for three degrees."

"Just like Uncle Gabe," Gabe says, buffing his nails on his shirt.

"God helps us if this kid is anything like you," Sammy shakes his head. "We'll never be able to feed him."

"Feed him?" Zeke snorts. "You'll be on a first name basis with every doctor in the ER until the kid leaves home."

"Hey!" Gabe protests, lightly smack Zeke on the shoulder. "I was not accident prone."

"You most certainly were." Mike rolls his eyes. "You tripped over air."

"Should have taken those ballet lessons Momma C suggested." Tony snickers. "Maybe learned a little coordination."

"Oh yeah, like you were a graduate of grace and charm school."

"I was never in the ER twice on the same day for two unrelated accidents."

"I keep telling you guys that was not my fault." Gabe looks indignant. "Why you can't just admit I'm the innocent party?"

"Because you're not," Zeke says.

And they are off and running again, arguing about something I'm not even going to try and understand. I get the impression Gabe was even more energetic and active as child, and had the same sort of insatiable curiosity that drives Tony. I have no trouble seeing how that could have been a dangerous combination. Hell, Tony still rushes headlong into harms way more than I like.

I can't help shaking my head when Zeke brings up Gabe trying to use Momma C's best sheets for a home made parachute. It was probably a good thing Mike managed to catch him before he leaped off the roof of the house. Not entirely sure he'd have learned his lesson if he had broken both legs.

I'm so caught up in watching them going back and forth, enjoying the things they are revealing, that I am startled to hear Sammy speaking quietly behind me.

"What do you say go out on the porch where we can talk in peace for a bit, eh?"

It might be worded like a suggestion but the tone makes it clear he's not asking. I look for Tony, surprised to find him on the other side of the kitchen talking to Dan and Carol now.

"Don't worry." Sammy chuckles quietly. "He won't notice you left until you get back."

I square my shoulders and follow him out the side door. He's light on his feet, in spite of the slight limp he has, moving silently. I doubt anyone even noticed us leave. Can't quite decide if that's a good thing or bad.

The rain has tapered off to a fine mist. The damp air makes me wish I'd brought my coat with me, or at least a cup of coffee.

Sammy turns to face me, sitting on the porch railing, hands loose at his sides. "I found out Tony took a job at NCIS when I was in rehab." He smiles wryly. "Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened to me was at least one of the reasons he'd accepted the job offer."

"Thought I owed it to him to make sure he didn't make the wrong choice." Brown eyes hold mine easily. "So I had a buddy pull your file. It's very interesting reading."

I am pissed that he knows more about me than I do about him. Never even occurred to me he might have access to my file or that he might be able to use what he found there against me. I prefer to have the playing field tipped in my direction.

"So, you're saying you know everything there is to know about me then?" I ask, forcing myself to keep my tone neutral. It won't help matters if I lose my temper, but I can't keep from glaring at him either.

"No." He isn't fazed by my glare. "I know what other people thought was important enough to write down. That is hardly everything there is to you, Gibbs."

Sammy nods toward the door behind me. "The Capanzini family isn't even a footnote in Tony's file, but that doesn't mean we aren't important to him. Or that he isn't important to us."

"Is this where you threaten to skin me alive if I hurt him?" I ask, thinking maybe I'll get one up on him. Meet the possible threat head on.

"No." He shakes his head. "It's not a question of if you'll hurt him," he looks at me steadily, "but more a question of when and how badly."

Shit. There is nothing but calm, confidence in his voice. And it's like getting kicked in the chest. At least Momma C and Mike had been willing to give me the benefit of the doubt.

My fingers curl into fists, chin rising as I face him squarely. "So you're going to tell me to stay away from him?" Like I'm going to consider that. It will be a cold day in hell before I let go of Tony. Finally found the one person who fills in every piece I've been missing. I won't give him up without a fight.

"No, I'm not going to tell you that. Not going to tell him to stay away from you either." He smiles at me, winsome and innocent. "But it's nice to know you'd go toe to toe with me if you had to."

"Why?" I growl at him.

"Because I'd have some serious doubts about Tony's judge of character if you hadn't been willing to step up to scratch."

"No, not that," I hiss to keep myself from yelling. I don't want to attract the attention of the rest of the family. "Why are you so sure I'm going to hurt him?"

"Because you already have." He says that like he's simply stating an obvious fact I should already know. Like water is wet or the sky is blue.

I wince. Not like I can deny what he's saying?any more than I could when Mike made the same observation, albeit a bit less bluntly. I can feel my face flush.

My hurting Tony wasn't intentional. It was before we got together, damn it. "I didn't mean--"

"I know you didn't mean to. That's the whole point. It's why I'm sure it will happen again."

He waves a hand in an elegant, meaningless gesture. "You are a former Marine sniper, with a purple heart to your credit and four marriages under your belt. You are still you?warts and all. Knowing you love Tony doesn't fundamentally change that."

I frown. I'm not sure I understand where he's going. "But you aren't going to tell me to stay away from him? Or tell him to stay away from me?"

Sammy's expression hardens, eyes boring into mine with a fierceness that tells me he's every bit as dangerous as I think he is. "Believe me, if I thought for a second the pain you caused was the product of deliberate malice, instead of you just being self-centered and clueless, I'd have fucked you up long before now."

I stifle a shiver, and force myself not to react to that obvious threat. No doubt about it. He means every single word. And what's worse, I agree with him. I'd have deserved it if my intent had been to hurt Tony.

His expression shifts, no longer cold or threatening, but open and approachable once more. Even though Mike told me the whole family could make that sort of transition, it still surprises me.

He shrugs one shoulder. "Just because something hurts, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. Sometimes it's the things that hurt which are most worthwhile."

I get what he's saying. As much as it hurt to have lost Shannon and Kelly, I would never have them not to been a part of my life. Can't stand the thought of not having Tony as part of my life now either, not even when he makes me crazy at times. Know he feels the same way. Stupid poem might be right---It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Sammy cocks his head studying me. I know he knows I got it. He nods once.

Sammy sighs softly, posture relaxing a bit as he shifts weight off right leg. "Before my father died he told me every man makes mistakes. What separates men from boys is what they will do to make it right."

He fixes me with implacable, measuring look. "Next time you screw up and lose your temper. Get a little self-absorbed. Shut him out, or lash out without thinking--you better be prepared to move heaven and earth to make it right."

The 'or else' is nicely implied. Mike was right. Sammy is better at this than he is.

"I'll make it right."

"Good man." That is a quiet, yet ringing endorsement.

Before any more can be said the door opens behind me. Tony steps out on the porch. He looks to me and I know he's checking to make sure I'm okay. I nod and smile. The conversation with Sammy was a little unnerving but nothing I couldn't handle.

"Sammy, Momma C wants you to set the table."

Dinner won't be ready for another two hours at least. So her request is a pretty clear indication she wants him to stop grilling me. Have a feeling that if we weren't really done, it wouldn't matter quite so much what Momma C wanted. My gut tells me she knew exactly how long to give us---something Sammy confirms a second later.

"Momma has always had impeccable timing." He grins, lightly slapping me on the shoulder as he moves to reenter the kitchen. "And she's damn near omniscient when it comes to her children. Hope like hell I am as good as she is when it comes to my own."

"You will be," Tony says. "Probably not until the third or fourth one though. Heard that sort of thing takes practice."

He laughs, poking Tony in the chest. "Shaddup."

Tony swats his hand away. "That doesn't work for Mike either, you know?"

"Hope springs for eternal," he says, closing the door behind him cutting off anything more Tony might have to say.

Tony shakes his head, looking amused. "Man knows how to make an exit."

He looks at me, measuring. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." I point a finger at him, letting my lower lip protrude just a little. "You were supposed to protect me."

He laughs, stepping closer to wrap his arms around me. "Did you need me to protect you?"

"No." I pull him closer, sighing as I settle into his warmth. "But that is hardly the point."

"Right." He snickers. "Because I'm sure you could have had that conversation with me standing here."

He's right to be sarcastic. The entire tone of the conversation would have been decidedly different if Tony had been present. Like with Mike and Momma C, Tony not being there made it easier for us to be honest with each other. Still, I don't want to let him off the hook too easily.

"If it had gone badly?"

"I saw you leave." Tony pulls back and kisses the tip of my nose. "So did Mike and Momma C."

"Backup." He had my six. Never really thought otherwise.

"Exactly." Tony grins. "Would have been here before the blood made too big a mess to clean up."

I snort. "Oh that is soooo reassuring."

"Well it would be for Mike. Blood stains on his porch would just be messy. Not to mention hard to explain." Tony's eyes dance. Love how he looks when he's happy.

"C'mon." He tugs on my hand. "Dan brought her DVD of A Christmas Story. They are setting it up for us to watch until dinner is ready."

"That some classic sappy holiday movie?" I ask, following him inside.

"It's a classic. Not sure it qualifies as sappy." He laughs. "You'll like it. Trust me."

"I do." With everything that matters, everything I hold dear, I trust him.
Chapter End Notes:
No spoilers for this part.