- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanksgiving Dinner. Nothing terribly heavy in this part.
?A Christmas Story' proved to be every bit as enjoyable as Tony said it was. I laughed my way through Ralphie's desperate bid to get an 'official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock'. Hearing Mike and his brothers say that each and every time Ralphie did, with the same speed and cadence was so damn funny. Obviously, they've watched this a lot. Carol, Dan and Tony always copied the standard reply to Ralphie's request, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid".

"In Zeke's case that might well be true," Sammy snickers, wrapping one arm around his younger brother in a loose head lock, pulling him closer.

"I'm no marksman, but even I'm not that bad." Zeke settles into Sammy's hold rather than fight him. He nudges Gabe with his foot. "It's baby brother who would more likely shoot out his eye."

Gabe snorts, grabbing Zeke's foot, shaking it once before releasing it. "Do I need to remind you that I won at skeet shooting?"

Mike snickers, lightly patting Gabe's arm. "You were also the one to leave buckshot in Mario's ass."

Gabe blushes, but he gives his brother a mulish look. "He deserved it."

Tony laughs softly. "I knew that was no accident." He raises his fist, reaching out toward Gabe so the younger man can bump it with his own.

I'm a little curious about who Mario is and just what he did to deserve getting shot in the ass. But I'm more interested in the way everyone seems prone to this almost constant contact and being comfortable in each other's space. When Tony and I came into watch the movie, I expected them to spread out, claim some space for themselves, with the exception of Dan and Sammy, Gabe and Carol. As couples, it made sense for them to curl up with each other. But they all seemed to gravitate to the oversized couch in front of the TV, settling in easily on it or on the floor in front of it with little fuss or fanfare. For the duration of the movie, they all seem content to be as close as possible even though the loveseat and the recliner would clearly be more comfortable than the floor.

I really like that the overall closeness made my arm around Tony unremarkable. It doesn't stand out or seem at all odd. Not that I thought anyone would object?not really. Just nice to find we fit in so easily.

"Sit still," Carol directs Gabe. She'd spent half the movie neatly braiding Gabe's long hair. It didn't look like it bothered him. If anything, he seems to enjoy the attention. Might be the reason why he let it grow.

"You want some pink ribbon?" Mike asks, snickering.

"Maybe some flowers," Sammy suggests with a grin.

"Boy might outshine his bride on their wedding day." Zeke laughs softly, easily dodging the lazy swat Gabe makes at him without disrupting the loose hold Sammy still has on him.

Carol gives Zeke a pointed look and he has the good grace to look embarrassed. He ducks his head. "Sorry, Carol."

"You should be." She smirks. "And for the record, I fully intend to be the center of attention on my wedding day."

"Duly noted." He gives her an innocent, endearing smile. Tony has used that same smile once or twice.

I wonder if Carol and Gabe have set a date yet. Probably. Likely isn't even something Tony realizes I don't know or he'd have told me. Didn't realize it myself until now.

Before I can even ask, Momma C calls from the kitchen. "Dinner is ready."

"Finally." Gabe scrambles to his feet, offering a hand to Carol. "I'm starving."

"How can you be starving?" Mike rolls his eyes. "You ate a ton for breakfast."

"I'm a growing boy."

"Riiiight." Sammy rolls his eyes. "That's not going to work when you are forty with kids of your own."

Gabe gives him a huge grin. "I got more years than you till I hit the big four-oh, and before I have to worry about the pitter patter of little feet."

Sammy grins back, clearly delighted to be reminded of the impending arrival of his first child. It hurts to see that much joy---joy I got to experience first hand and will likely never have again. Tony gives me a concerned look, obviously sensing the change in my mood.

Ordinarily, I'd shut him out. Talking about Shannon and Kelly was taboo for so long it is a novel feeling to find myself actually wanting to confide in Tony about them. But I really don't want to get into it in front of everyone else.

"Later," I whisper to him, "when we're alone."

He studies my face, green eyes searching. Not sure what he finds, but he nods before giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Later, then."

We head out to the kitchen, his hand in mine. Silly really how such a small thing as holding hands can make me feel so much better.

They must have added a leaf to the table because it is definitely larger than it was last night. There are more chairs too.

And even if they didn't need more space for the added people, it was definitely needed for the food. The array of stuff on the table is stunning. Full turkey, golden brown on a huge white platter. Steaming bowl of mashed potatoes, another bowl filled with homemade rolls nearby. Stuffing and cranberry sauce and a gravy boat are scattered down the length of the table. There is some sort of broccoli salad thing and a kind of pasta that I don't recognize. Several water pitchers are there too, as well as a coffee carafe. Man. Closest thing I've ever seen to compare it with is a painting by Norman Rockwell.

Tony whistled softly in appreciation. "Wow, Momma C, you went all out."

"Nothing is too good for my children." She beams at him. "Come, sit before everything gets cold."

I don't really pay much attention to where everyone else sits. My main focus is to make sure I get a seat next to Tony. Not that I really had to worry. Sammy and Dan are next to one another. Same for Gabe and Carol.

Momma sits between Zeke and Mike. She nods towards Sammy. "Samuel, would you say grace please?"

"Sure, Momma."

He makes short work of it. Always liked that about Catholics. Grace is rarely a long winded thing. No obsessing about acknowledging God as our savior or laundry list of things to be grateful for or asking for Him to watch over and bless everyone and his brother. Nope. Just your basic 'thank you' for the food we are about eat.

Momma C smiles warmly at me. "Do you know how to carve a bird, Jethro?"

I blink. "Yes, I know how."

"Good." She offers me the carving knife, hilt first and a two pronged fork.

I take them hesitantly, stunned that she's even offering. I figured she'd want one of her sons to do it. Mike gives me a wink and a smile. He's not bothered by her choosing me. I hesitate, glancing around, wanting to make sure he's not the only one.

"Better get started, Boss." Tony sends an amused look around the expectant table. "Before the natives get restless."

"Right."

Feeling more confident, I start carving with steady hands. Neither Mike or Momma C have a preference. Dark meat or light is fine, as long as they get some. Gabe wants white meat, and not surprisingly, a lot of it. Zeke on the other hand only wants dark meat. Sammy, wants a little of each. Carol and Dan both go for the drumsticks. Tony, I knew, preferred white meat. He and Gabe will probably make sure there isn't much of it left over.

Conversation flows around the table the same way it had last night while bowls and plates are passed easily from one person to the next. It isn't really as hard to follow as I thought it might be with more people added to the mix. Guess I've gotten used my team having side conversations and running off on tangents while they process paperwork and information. Rather proud of their ability to multitask.

Gabe and Zeke are evidently back to picking out horrible baby names. And from the sounds of it, Carol and Dan have joined in. That surprises me, until I realize they are, in their own way, every bit as competitive as the two brothers. The Ohio game comes up again with the discussion between Tony and Sammy becoming rather animated to say the least. Momma C just rolls her eyes at them, and asks me about the boat Tony's mentioned in my basement. Mike is very interested in my efforts to stay true to the old hand crafted ways. We talked about wood working before in a general sense before, but this time we're delving into details, comparing different types of wood and the right methods for working each.

When Mike offers to take me out to his garage, Tony swivels his attention to his friend like he was following the conversation all along. "Can I come?"

Mike raises an eyebrow. "You've already seen my workshop."

"So?"

"He's not going to let you see your gift until it's finished," Sammy says, smirking.

"Kept me waiting a good six months," Gabe grumbled. "And he locked the door."

"Should have learned to pick locks," I offer, unable to stop myself before the words slip out.

"Do not offer to teach him how," Mike orders pointing at me with is fork, shaking his head. "It's hard enough now keeping him out of things. Worse than a cat."

"He's been snooping for Christmas presents for the last week." Carol laughs softly.

"You already started shopping?" Dan asks, looking equal parts impressed and appalled.

"I always start early, you know that."

"Yeah, but I didn't realize how early."

"I hate crowds." Carol shudders. "Won't catch me out on black Friday for anything in the world."

Dan laughs. "I love black Friday."

Sammy winces. Clearly he doesn't share the sentiment. I never cared for shopping with Shannon either. I went whenever she asked me to, but if I could get out of it, I usually did. I'm not really surprised to hear Sammy offer up someone else to take his place.

"You can take Zeke with you tomorrow." Sammy nudges his brother's shoulder with his own.

Zeke grins, eyes bright and eager. "I've already scoped out the flyers. Just tell me when you want to leave."

Obviously Zeke doesn't share his older brother's dislike of shopping. Given his taste in clothes, maybe I shouldn't be surprised by that.

He and Dan start talking about sale items and laying out strategy for which store to be at when. I've seen less well drawn out battle plans. Can't decide if I should be impressed or afraid.

"You going with them?" I ask Tony. He's as much a clothes horse as Zeke, so it could be the kind of thing he likes doing.

"You're kidding right?" Tony gives me a wide eyed look, shaking his head. "Not just no, hell no."

"You went with me before," Zeke reminds him, looking gleeful and I get the feeling that Tony may not have gone willingly.

"Once was enough," Tony declares firmly, pointing a finger at Zeke. "People are insane then---pushing, shoving, yelling. Feel like I should have had one of those little paper cups full of oats they give you at petting zoos so I could pacify the animals." He grimaces. "I swear some lady tried to run me down with her stroller. And this little blue haired grandmother tried to bludgeon me with her cane."

"Gotta watch out for those." Dan nods sagely, her eyes sparkling. "I had to beat one back with my purse several times."

"That's my girl," Sammy says with a laugh.

"You bet I am." She grins back at him, raising her water glass to lightly ring against his. "Those little tricks you showed me come in handy."

Sammy shakes his head. "That's not exactly the use my DI had in mind for those, Sweetheart."

She gives him a wide-eyed innocent look that is anything but. "Your point?"

"Better to quit now, big brother," Gabe advises, chuckling. "Not an argument you're going to win."

I have to agree with Gabe---it's not an argument Sammy is going to win. Although, I can see his point. Never would have thought of hand to hand combat skills as being useful when it came to Christmas shopping. But then I avoid shopping malls when ever possible, especially when they are inundated with people the way they usually are around the holidays. With Tony sharing a similar dislike, hopefully I'll never have to.

I look around the table and am stunned by the sizeable dent that's been made in the huge amount of food Momma C had laid out. Not nearly as much left over as I expected. Momma C looks decidedly pleased.

Mike says something in Italian, and everyone raises their glasses. I understand just enough to realize they are saluting the meal Momma C made and thanking her for it. Tony smiles at me when I get the right inflection to the few words he taught me from the cabin to the house.

Momma C nods her head, accepting their thanks and price a bit like a queen getting her due. I have to admit she's every bit as regal as I imagine a monarch being.

Evidently it's also the signal that the meal is officially finished and to start clearing the table. This time, everyone but Momma C moves to help?myself included. It is amazing that without any obvious instructions everyone works so easily, clearing and cleaning with little fuss or fanfare.

I half expected so many people to get in each other's way. Kitchen isn't really that big, but everyone seems to move around easily. Food is put away in Tupperware containers, while dishes are washed, dried and then returned to their proper place. I've seen base camps dismantled with less efficiency.

"What's next?" I whisper in Tony's ear. So far everything hasn't exactly been planned, but the traditional things are in full force. Wouldn't hurt to know what to expect.

"Momma C usually takes a nap." Tony whispers back. "Rest of us watch football, read, take a walk. Whatever." He smiles. "Basically let the meal digest."

I nod. Sounds good. "You'll be watching football."

It wasn't a question, but he answers me anyway. "Yeah---unless you'd rather do something else."

"Football is fine." Long as I'm with him, it's okay by me.

Seeing Mike and Dan yawn, Momma C won't be the only one opting for a nap. Gabe and Carol are grabbing their coats. They must be the walkers of the group. Not really surprising after they'd mentioned training for a triathalon. I see Zeke heading for what I remember being Mike's den. Definitely reading or working on the computer I know is in that room.

Sammy smiles at Tony. "Recliner."

"Couch." Tony smiles back.

Perfect. Having the couch to ourselves means I'll get to fall asleep on him just like I do at home. And given how relaxed, content and well fed I am at the moment, staying awake will be nearly impossible.
Chapter End Notes:
No spoilers