- Text Size +
Chapter 10

"Mac! Evidence!"
"Oh Tony. You're to kind" she said laughing and taking the box from him.
"Gibbs wants that fast" Kate surprised them by the door, then turning and walking away.
"Do you know what the hell I did to offend her?"
"No but I'll try and find out." He said, running and squeezing into the elevator with her.

"Kate, what did Mac do to you?"
"You wouldn't understand Tony."
"Try me Kate." He said moving closer to her so he could look right down into her eyes. She looked back into his and normally she would have melted, but she was too pissed off.
"It's a private matter."
"You can trust me"
"I'm not telling anyone. She found out by mistake. And um, Tony" she said changing the subject. "Do you want to go to the new Chinese place just off the navy yard tonight?" ‘Holy shit did I just ask him out?'
"Oh, Kate I would love to. But I kind of have a date."
"Oh" she said. ‘Don't look disappointed, don't look disappointed, don't look disappointed.' She told herself. "Cool. Maybe some other time" she said exiting the elevator. ‘handled that well' she thought. And the truth was, she had.

They all returned 5 hours later in search of results. "What have you got Mac?" Gibbs asked.
"Well, no hit off the print from the gun. I'm still running it through AFIS.
It is defiantly the murder weapon though. The blood is also going through the database to ID our John Doe. As for the CCTV, I'm no Abby but I managed to pull this up." She said putting the image on the plasma. "The guy keeps his face hidden all the time but he slips up once. I caught his reflection in a window as he passed. I blew it up and I'm running the facial points through the terrorist database."
"How long for the results?"
"a couple of hours at least."
"Fine" he said walking out, Tony was the last to leave. He spun around, giving her two thumbs up. She smiled and went back to the computer.

"It reminds me of the time I was in Malaysia…"
"Cut the stories out for now Duck." Gibbs said entering autopsy. "What have you got?"
"Well, Jethro. Cause of death is the two gun shot wounds to the heart. His x-rays show signs of beating. But the wound have completely healed."
"Oh, Ducky, you know what that means."
"I'm afraid I do. He was beaten as a child." He explained to the rest of the group.
"Bastard" he heard Kate mutter as she followed Gibbs out.

"Gibbs" he answered his phone an hour later. "Ok" he hung up. "Tony, put the lab on the plasma" he did and they all saw Mac there.
"Hey I got a hit on both the print and the DNA. The print from the gun matches a Murphy Baker. He is in the terrorist database. It was quicker because I had a name. he is half Iraqi and half Irish. His brother was a suicide bomber, killed last year. Our John Doe is a Petty Officer 1st class Alan Dawson. He witnessed Baker's father murder two women. I hear motive. I did some research, Interpol said her entered Italy two days ago. That's the day after what Dad said TOD was."
"That's good work Mac" Gibbs said, cutting off the video feed.
"You know what this means Boss" Tony said. "We're going to Italy"
"No, two of you are going to Italy. Undercover."
"Oh I really think…"
"Oh come on…"
"I'm the best choice boss…" they all argued at the same time.
"I know" Gibbs said. "We'll let Mac choose."
"Oh great" Kate muttered. She knew who Mac was going to pick. Herself and Tony.
"Mac," McGee said putting her on speakerphone. "You get to choose two people to go to undercover in Italy."
"Oh well. Um ok. I choose Tony and Kate. Come on down guys, I'll make you some ID's" she said hanging up. The only one that wasn't surprised was Tony.

"Name?" Mac asked Tony.
"Um," he thought
"I'm saying Yilmaz would be too much." She laughed.
"Um, James"
"Cool. Profession?"
"You can never go wrong with insurance salesman."
"Fine. Background"
"Let's say Navy. Dishonorable discharge"
"Right. How ‘bout you Kate? How about Catherine. That way if Tony slips up and calls you Kate you can get away with it."
"Ok. I'll be a librarian."
"Fine" Mac laughed.
"No military background"
"Cool and you're a married couple right? Surname?"
"Fox?" Tony asked Kate
"Fine with me." She wasn't really paying attention. She was going undercover as Tony's wife! The phone broke her train of thought.
"What is it Gibbs?" Mac said, putting it on speakerphone.
"MacDonald, you're going to Italy as well. We need someone there for surveillance. You all leave tomorrow" he said hanging up.
"Perfect" she said, sarcastically.

"Where you off to?" McGee asked Mac, seeing her all dressed up.
"I have a date." It wasn't actually a date. She was video conferencing with Chris from her laptop.
"Oh Mac, about that…" Tony said, pulling her to the side. "Chris called. You weren't there so I answered…"
"Wait, you answered my phone?"
"Yes, sorry" he said.
"you couldn't have called me up you just answered it?"
"Look Mac, shut up. He can't make your ‘date'. He said sorry and he'll see you next week."
"Ok, but don't answer my phony again"
"Sorry" he said, going and sitting down again.
"Need any help McGee?"
"I thought you had a date?"
"No he cancelled." she ‘she is such a bitch.' Kate thought. ‘I'm standing right here and they are talking about their date? He doesn't know but she sure as hell does. What a bastard'
"No Mac I'm fine"
"Cool. Bye guys. I have a bag to pack." she headed off towards the elevator. ‘This is it.' Kate thought. ‘That son of a bitch is rubbing it in my face'
"Mac" Kate yelled running after her.
"Yup" Mac said, spinning towards the voice.
Kate swung and they both felt it connect. There wasn't enough power behind it id knock Mac over but it sent her reeling. She was quick so she blocked the next two attempted punches and Tony pulled Kate away before she could land a forth. Mac brushed her hand over her left cheek and when she looked down she saw blood. Kate's ring had scratched her. Tony was still holding Kate back.
"You say anything about a cat fight DiNozzo and you'll lose your family jewels" she said, brushing past him and into the elevator.