- Text Size +
Chapter 14

Gibbs just stared at the plasma. Mac ran her hands through her hair and Kate collapsed into fits of tears on Abby's shoulder. McGee was trying to stay strong but he wanted to cry. Sure, Tony was mostly mean to him but he was still a friend. "I'll go tell Ducky" He said.
"Thanks Tim" Gibbs said. "I'll tell his Dad" Mac's phone rang.
"MacDonald." She tried to act normal but they could all here the wobble in her voice.
"Hey Mac, we still on for Dinner?" it was Chris.
"Sorry Chris. Could I take a rain check? Tony's dead." She wanted to cry there and then. She had only known him two months but they were close. She felt so sorry for Kate. She had just lost the love of her life nad he didn't even know how she felt about him or vice versa.
"I'm so sorry Mac. How is Abby taking it?"
"Not very well, I'll see you later. Bye" she put the phone away and turned to the group.
"That didn't go well" Gibbs said, also hanging up. "He cried. He is coming to D.C. tomorrow to clean out his apartment and collect the body. They are going to have the funeral here. Kate, will you take care of it? You knew Tony best."
"Of course." She couldn't believe it. Tony. Gone. She hadn't even told him that she loved him. That was the one thing she had always wanted to do. Dead. How could he be dead? Maybe if she had asked him to stay that night he would have spent the next day with her. Maybe doing it in the interrogation room, he might not have gone to the airport and might not be dead.
"Go home." Gibbs told them. It was too much for all of them to take, even him. They exited the lab and into the elevator.

The next morning they were all on time. The office was so quiet without Tony. No one was doing anything, just looking at his now very empty desk. No cases came in and they were all glad for it. After lunch they resumed the staring. The only difference was that Kate wasn't there. She had gone to the head and not come back. Mac went to see if she was ok. "Kate?" there was no answer. All the cubicles were empty.
"Where's Kate?" McGee asked when she returned.
"I don't know"
"I have good news." The Director said. "Shakir was found dead this morning."
"That's something" McGee said. "I hope he hit the roof and then was bounced into the 9th ring of hell."
"The roof!" Mac said quite loud, making a discovery.

*flashback*

"When I found out my brother died, I spent the whole day on the roof crying. Kate said.

*end flashback*

"Kate?" Mac said, opening the door to the roof. The rain was coming down like it was the end of the world. Mac saw Kate standing there, staring off into the distance. "Kate, what are you doing?" there was no reply.
"I loved him" she finally said.
"I know"
"He was a good man" she yelled over the rain and thunder.
"He was a good agent, a great man" Mac backed up what Kate had said. She saw the glint a second to late. She felt the pain in her stomach where the knife had plunged into her.
"How dare you say that after what you did!" Kate yelled in her ear. "You knew I loved him and you still did it!"
"What?" Mac managed to moan.
"You are the most evil thing to ever walk this earth. You are the devil and deserve to rot in hell!" she said, twisting the knife. She withdrew it and saw that up to and past the hilt was covered in blood, it was even on her hand.
"Kate, what are you talking about!" Mac said, as loud as she could manage, which wasn't very. Kate hit her, like she had done before but this time Mac did go to the ground.
"Merry Christmas!" she screamed at her, slamming the door, causing it automatically to lock, Mac still on the other side.

"Oh my God Kate you must be freezing" Abby said as Kate entered her lab. She grabbed the blanket from the futon and gave it to her.
"Thanks Abby"
"I think it would be ok to tell you this now. Tony was in love with you. I found out yesterday. He and Mac were talking about it. You know all the looks and laughs you were suspicious about?" Kate nodded. "Well, that was Mac teasing him about it. There was nothing going on between them." A look of worry came over Kate's face.
"Oh God what have I done?"