- Text Size +
Chapter 15

She was losing strength and blood by the minute. She had tried to break down the door, had tried to shoot the lock off and had pounded on it till she hurt herself. She was soaked to the bone and had blood everywhere. She was about to start pounding again when the door flew open. Kate was standing there. Mac drew her weapon. "You come near me you psycho and I swear you're dead."
"Mac, I'm so sorry, it was all a huge mistake." What should she do? Trust the woman who did this to her and hopefully live or be really stubborn and have nothing to do with her, risking death? She looked genuinely sorry and held out a hand. Mac decided to take her chances; she let Kate pull her up. Kate put an arm around her waist and Mac put her arm around Kate's shoulder and they headed for the car.

"Help!" Kate yelled as they entered the hospital. Mac had passed out in the car.
"Agent Todd" it was the doctor that had treated Mac when she was shot.
"Dr White, she was stabbed."
"Chris, help me with this girl" the younger doctor ran over to help his colleague.
"Mac?" he said upon seeing his patients face.
"You know her?" Dr White asked surprised.
"Yes, we're dating."
"Wait, Mac has a boyfriend?"
"Yes who are you?"
"Kate Todd. Who are you?"
"Chris Scuito"
"Chris Scuito as in Abby Scuito?"
"Yes, you know my big sister?"
"Yes she is my best friend. Mac is dating Abby's brother?"
"Yup." wow, she had no idea how big a misunderstanding it was. Chris put Mac in an ER.
"Hey" Mac said, coming to again. "What happened?"
"You were stabbed Mac"
"Yes I got that but how did I get here?"
"Passed out Mac" Kate told her.
"Oh right." They gave her an anesthetic and she was out like a light.

When she woke she was very groggy. She couldn't feel her midsection and noticed there were a lot of people in the room. Chris was sitting holding her hand. Kate was sitting in the corner, looking worried; McGee and Abby were with her. Gibbs was standing next to Ducky and was arguing with some cops. "She is one of us. I want to investigate!"
"We have orders for us to investigate!"
"Why don't you ask her?!"
"I will when she wakes up!"
"Shows how much attention you pay!" Gibbs yelled at him.
"I want NCIS to investigate" she told the young cop.
"Fine" he said, storming out.
"So what happened Mac?"" Mac looked at Kate. She couldn't do it.
"I went up to the roof to look for Kate. We couldn't find her. She wasn't there." Kate looked up, very shocked. "But this really creepy guy was. Brown hair, blue eyes about 5' 11''. He knew he wasn't supposed to be there. I drew my weapon, announced myself. I went to escort him out and he stabbed me, looked me up there. I don't know why Kate came up but thank god she did, I would have died otherwise."
"I'll tell that LEO. It'll make him happy." He said, leaving with Ducky. Chris went to check on his other patients and Abby and McGee went to the cafeteria.
"Why'd you do it?"
"I couldn't let you go to jail, no matter what you did.
"I owe you one."
"Just don't stab me again" she joked
"Deal. I'm surprised Gibbs believed you."
"I used rule seven."
"Always carry a knife?"
"No, always be specific when you lie."
"Oh right. I have to go. I have to get my outfit for Tony's funeral" she said solemnly.
"Yes. I've already got mine"
"I'll let you rest" Kate said, turning to leave.
"Kate?"
"Yes?"
"Why did you stab me?"
"I thought you were sleeping with Tony."
"After I knew you loved him? Hoe evil do you think I am?"
"Did you not hear my rant on the roof?" Mac smiled and rolled over to sleep.

A ringing phone woke her. "MacDonald" she answered, not really awake. The message made her sit upright.
"Ma…t's…ony…I'…live…hel…!"
"Who is this?"
"Ac…elp…me…I'm…ali…!" the phone cut off. She got out her laptop and connected the two. She performed a reverse trace which came back to a Maryland address. She grabbed her clothes, got changed then snuck out.