- Text Size +
Chapter 16

"Mac, get your meds" Chris said, entering the room. "What the hell!" he yelled, seeing the empty bed. "Where did this patient go?" he asked the nurse outside.
"I don't know"
"Hey Paul!" he yelled, seeing the other doctor. "Mac's gone"
"What? How did she get out?"
"I have no idea, I'll ask Ross." He said, walking to the entrance of the hospital. "Ross, did you see a patient leave? 5' 9", brown hair, blue eyes, very beautiful and Scottish."
"Yes, she left about an hour ago."
"Thanks man." He said, pulled out his phone and dialed speed dial 2.
"NCIS, forensics, Abby speaking, you're on the air"
"Abby, it's Chris."
"Hey"
"Mac is gone"
"What!"
"She snuck out of the hospital."
"Why didn't you stop her?"
"I just found out"
"Find her Chris!" she yelled, hanging up.

"Autopsy" Ducky answered the phone.
"Dad"
"Mac, I heard you went AWOL."
"That's cause I did."
"Where are you?"
"I can't tell you. I just wanted to know, did Tony have any broken bones?"
"No, will you be back for his funeral?"
"Of course, see you later" she said, placing the phone back in her pocket. Her wound was really hurting. The pain killers had worn off, but she could stick it out. She had to find

"Mr. DiNozzo, thank you for coming." Kate said as he entered the bullpen. His eyes were puffy from crying, as were hers.
"Call me Mark"
"Well Mark, I know it must be difficult, it is for all of us."
"I recognize your voice."
"Yes, I called at Thanksgiving"
"The one who pretended to be Tony's fiancé?"
"No. was that what she did?"
"Who"
"Mac"
"Well that seems to be a hot topic" Abby said, walking up behind them.
"What'd you mean?"
"She's missing"
"What, like Tony was."
"No, she ran away from the hospital."
"Why would she do that?"
"I dunno. Chris says by now, that she would be in a lot of pain."
"She's stubborn. She'll make it." Just then, Kate's phone rang. "Agent Todd"
"You're next Miss Todd"
"Who is this?"
"Lets just say, an old friend" she would recognize that voice anywhere.
"Ari, you bastard. You killed Tony!" she yelled, but there was no one there.
"Did you say Ari?" Abby asked her.
"Yes, I'll worry about him later. Come on Mark. Lets go to Tony's place and get his stuff.

It was much tidier than Kate imagined, it was large with a big TV. ‘Surprise, surprise' she thought. "Here's a picture of you two" Mark said, picking up the frame. It was a good photo, taken last year by McGee. His laptop sat in the corner. There were a couple of pictures and figures but apart from clothes and furniture, there wasn't much else. A small safe sat in the corner. She typed in his birthday and nothing happened. Abby's voice rang in the back of her head. ‘He was actually kind of obsessed with you.' She typed in her date of birth. The door swung open.
"That son of a bitch" she muttered to herself. Inside there was a passport, documents, permits and two cards. She opened them and saw that they were the two birthday cards she had given him in the past two years. In a small box there was a watch she had given him. Mark gathered up Tony's things and they left. He still had some funeral preparations to do. He could obviously not have and open casket but he wanted it outside in the snow. He said Tony would have wanted it that way. Only close friend and family were invited. Kate was dreading it. Burying him meant he was really gone. "how is the funeral going" she said, trying to make conversation with the man she had wanted to be her father-in-law.
"Good. I would have liked and open casket but under the circumstances, I can't do that.
"Yes. Were you and him close?"
"A little. Sometimes he hated me"
"I'm sure that's not true."
"It is. Were you close?"
"Yes"
"Who was the agent he was in love with?"
"I beg your pardon?"
"He told me he was in love with another agent. I'd like to meet her."
"What makes you think it was a her?"
"What?"
"I'm kidding. It was me" she said slowly.
"At least he had good taste."
"Should I take that as a complement?"
"It is a complement"
"I should be getting to bed. Tony would shoot me if I looked bad at his funeral." She said, dropping him at the motel and driving home.