- Text Size +
Chapter 2

"What!" Gibbs yelled, obviously very surprised
"Yup" Abby replied, grin still on her face
"Ducky has a daughter?" Kate asked, just as surprised
"Yup" Abby repeated
"Get him up here Abs!"
"Ok" no one had actually noticed that agent MacDonald hadn't actually said anything. She just stood there watching the commotion all around her.

"Jethro" Gibbs heard Ducky say. He had exited the elevator with Abby by his side.
"Duck, why didn't you tell me she was your daughter?"
"I didn't know for sure if it was her. I didn't know who the agent was until last night but I still couldn't be sure. Do you know how many MacDonald's there are in Scotland?"
"Ok, but why didn't you tell me in the first place?"
"I didn't know myself until a year and a half ago and it just never came up." Ducky turned his attention to the woman in front of him. "Hello Sarah"
"Hi Dad" The three junior agents had all expected her accent to be exactly the same as Ducky's but it wasn't. Ducky was English but this girl was obviously Scottish.
"How are you dear?"
"I'm fine, I've got a new job and a new apartment, oh, and I think I've got a boyfriend as well."
"You think?"
"I'm not sure if we are going out anyway"
"Ok" they could all sense the awkwardness
"Well" Sarah said, breaking the silence, "Maybe I should introduce myself" she said looking at the three agents standing behind her. "I'm Sarah MacDonald" it was the youngest of the three that stood up first.
"I'm Tim McGee" he said, extending a hand. She shook it and replied
"Nice to meet you. Abby told me all about you" McGee went and sat down at his desk again, a massive smile on his face.
"Kate Todd"
"It's a pleasure, Abby has also told me lots about you. You're her best friend aren't you?"
"Yes, it is really great to meet you Sarah"
"Please, call me Mac. It was Abs that started it"
"Mac" Kate repeated. "Ok" and then she sat down as well. ‘And last but not least' Mac thought,
"Hi, Tony DiNozzo. What did Abby tell you about me?" he said with a big grin on his face
"She said that you tongued a transsexual"
"I think I'm gonna like you Mac" Kate said, joining her in front of Tony's desk. His grin had disappeared and he just had that look on his face, the one he had when Kate had said the same thing at Bethesda.
"Mac" Tony said thinking aloud "Wasn't that the name of that JAG chick? Her name was Sarah as well"
"Hinky" Mac muttered.
"We got a case" Gibbs said, re-entering the bull pen. "A dead marine at Quantico. DiNozzo, gas the truck" He said tossing the keys over McGee for Tony to catch.
"Yes Boss" Tony grabbed his bag and ran to the elevator.
"There are too many people now. Kate, MacDonald you take the Sedan. Here's your gear." He said tossing a bag at Mac. She caught it and slung it onto her back.
"Nice catch Mac"
"Thanks Kate, lets go." She walked to the elevator and held the door for Kate. She stepped in and the doors slid shut.

"So, you're Scottish?" Kate said on the way over, trying to make conversation. The guys were following them in the truck, a couple of vehicles back.
"Yeah."
"Where exactly? My great uncle is Scottish and I've visited him a couple of times in Glasgow."
"Great. I'm from Fife. If you look at the map it's the bit that looks like a dog's head."
"Nice description"
"Yeah. It's what most people say it is. It does a bit. St Andrews is in Fife. If you like golf you'll know where that is."
"Sorry, don't follow golf."
"Me neither. Think it is boring. I dinny ken why people think it's interesting"
"You what?" Kate asked, confused
"Oh right, sorry. I don't know."
"Scottish?"
"Aye. Shit. Sorry I keep forgetting that most people don't know some Scots words."
"So, what's the deal with you and Ducky" Kate rushed out the question she had been dying to ask. Mac chuckled a bit then answered.
"It's not as complicated as you might think." She began. "Well, here goes. My dad was on holiday, sorry vacation, from DC in London. He met my mother and they had sort of fling for the month he was there. She was a Scot visiting family as well. They hooked up and then went their separate ways, he back here and she back to Scotland. Little did she know that she was pregnant. She decided not to tell him. Then nine months later there was me. Well she looked after me perfectly for twenty two years then found out that she had terminal cancer. A year later she was gone. I had no other living relatives so she told me my dad's name and where he was. I finished collage and came out here to find him. Well, I did and he was wonderful to me. He treated me like he had known me all my life. I've been working as a cop in Pittsburgh and Abby told me NCIS had an opening and I should try for a job. I went for the interview and got the job. And now we're caught up to the now. Sorry, we're caught up to now, sometimes Scottish grammar can be a bit dodgy.
"Interesting story. And now there is only one more thing to say. Welcome to the team." Mac grinned and took her seatbelt off. "We're here."