- Text Size +
Chapter 20

"Where the hell is my team?" Gibbs said, walking in and seeing the one agent at his desk.
"Hospital" McGee grunted.
"Why the hell are they all at the hospital?"
"Treated for smoke inhalation"
"What? Three agents?"
"Yup. And Chris"
"What the hell!"
"Um…Tony and Kate were out at dinner. Fire started, Kate was trapped inside. Mac and Chris were near. Chris got shoved out the way, Mac and Tony went in and got her out."
"Crazy bastards" he muttered to himself, pulling out his phone and dialling DiNozzo's number.
"Boss" the younger man answered.
"What the hell happened. Wait, I don't care. Just get your asses back here." He said hanging up.
"The Boss?" Mac asked jumping off the bed.
"Yes. I think we should get going"
"Yes. We still have to get the psycho who set the bomb" Kate said. She had been hurt the worst but was still able to leave.
"Aye. Do you know who they were after?"
"No but if it was the team, then we don't know who is next"
"Even the non field agents are at risk" Mac pointed out.
"We have to tell them. Lets go" Tony said, taking command, the woman followed him out.

"Right, we need a plan" Tony said.
"How about, Kate, tell Gibbs. He's least likely to shout at you. I'll tell Abby and you tell my dad"
"Fine by me" he replied and they all set off in different directions.

Mac stepped off the elevator, leaving Tony on his way down to autopsy. She had picked up a caf-pow on the way down. She heard a ding and then Tony disappeared behind her. She heard a noise down the corridor and decided to check it out. Turns out it was nothing but the second thing was. Normally, hearing a shot down here was just the fact that Abby was doing a ballistics test but the yell the followed it changed her mind in a millisecond. She drew her sig sauer and ran in to the lab, alert as ever. She didn't see anyone apart from a black shape slumped in the corner. "Abby!" she yelled. She only made it half way before she felt something hit her head and then all she saw was black.

"Abby! Mac!" Tony yelled as he entered the lab. He had heard the shot from the elevator and rushed up as soon as he could. He had his own weapon drawn and saw both the women lying on the ground. No one else was there so he knelt down to check Mac. She was still breathing ad still had a pulse so he turned to the Goth. Abby was groaning and bleeding heavily, gunshot wound to the abdomen.
"Tony" she muttered, her dark hair matted on her forehead.
"Hold on Abs. ambulance is on the way" he said. He had called 911 and Gibbs as well. A few minutes later, Kate and McGee close behind.
"Abby!" McGee screamed, rushing over to her while Kate also rushed to her best friend. Tony switched and moved back over to Mac. She was starting to come around.
"Mac stay down, you might have a head injury" Tony told her as she screwed up her eyes at the light. She didn't listen to him and got up anyway. "God, you're just as stubborn as Gibbs" he told her, remembering when he was shot in autopsy.
"Is Abby ok?" She asked, not caring about her own injuries.
"She should be ok" Tony lied, he didn't know if she would be. "An ambulance is coming" he told her.
"It's here" Gibbs corrected him, shutting his cell phone. Two paramedics rushed into the lab, a man and a woman. The both rushed over to Abby and placed her on a stretcher, making sure she was stable and then rushing back to the elevator with Abby. The rest of them took the stairs and ran to the parking lot, getting a Sedan and following them to the hospital.

Abby was rushed immediately into surgery. Mac had her head checked out and then all of them sat outside Abby room. "Maybe you should buy a room here Mac," Chris told her. "You seem to spend more time here than at your own house or at work."
"That an offer?" she joked. "Sorry" she said remembering the circumstances.
"It's ok. Gets my mind off the fact my sister was just shot" he said, running his fingers through his hair. All of them were really worried.
"I'm hungry" Tony said, randomly
"Tony" Kate said in her signature voice.
"Sorry"
"How about you guys go to the cafeteria, I'll stay here and wait for news."
"You sure" McGee said.
"Yes, go ahead you guys" the 5 of them left, Ducky had arrived, and Mac stayed behind. She sat there on her own for another 10 minutes before the Doctor came out. She was in her early 40's, from what Mac could tell, and a couple of inches smaller than the Scot.
"We managed to stop the bleeding and she is stable. You can see her now. Where did everyone else go?"
"Cafeteria. They will be back soon."
"Ok. And they baby is alright too."
"Baby?" Mac said, shocked.
"Yes. Miss Scuito is 8 week pregnant."
"So she knows?"
"Yes."
"Thank you." The woman spun on her heels and exited down a corridor to the right.

"You're awake" Mac said, entering the room and seeing Abby sitting up.
"Yes" Abby said. She looked really pale but like she was going to be ok. Mac was nervous and awkward around her and she had noticed. "Mac what's wrong?"
"I…kind of found out your secret" Abby looked worried.
"Look Mac… that night between me and Gibbs…was just a one night thing and…" she stopped mid sentence because she saw the look on her friend's face. "That wasn't what you were talking about was it?"
"No but we'll get back to that. I know you are pregnant"
"Oh, that"
"Abs, who's is it" she didn't reply. "You don't know?"
"I think I do. The only person that really fits the timeframe is…McGee"
"McGee!"
"Shh. Yes."
"McGee, McGee?"
"Yes" she said.
"Like Tim McGee"
"What" a male voice said from the doorway.
"Nothing McGee" Abby said, now she was the one feeling awkward.

They stayed for another hour before Abby needed to rest. They decided that one of them would stay the night with Abby, Mac was first. Abby had fallen asleep after another 10 minutes and Mac joined her after another 20. She was deep in sleep when her breath caught in her throat. She threw her hands up to find out what was happening and felt cold skin. She tried to kick the person but her legs were pinned down. She was starting to get dizzy and was sure she was going to pass out. She finally got full use of her arm back and was able to get a grip on something and managed to pull the person off and jump up, swaying a little maybe, but getting her bearings back fast. She was shocked at what she found. A nurse was standing there, blond hair all over her face, pillow at her feet. Mac recognised her, it was the nurse that had come in when she was getting treated after returning from Tony's ‘funeral.' At least Mac had gotten her off and stopped the smothering. Things just went from bad to worse. The nurse flipped a knife out and started advancing upon Mac.