- Text Size +
Chapter 5

"I'm worried" Mac admitted standing at the interrogation room door
"Don't worry" Kate assured her "It'll be fine" She lied and Mac knew it. She blew out and opened the door.
"Sergeant" Kate heard her say before the door closed. She walked into the viewing room.
"Sergeant," they heard her repeat "Where were you between the hours of 21 00 and 23 00?"
"At home ma'am" the young marine answered quietly.
"Anybody who can verify that?" she asked casually, playing with her PDA. Meanwhile in the viewing room, the four agents got a visit from Abby.
"I got the DNA results on the second blood type. I ran it through the military database. No match. But when I ran it through the criminal one I got a hit. A woman called Gemma Farmer. She has a DUI charge from last year." She said, very pleased with herself.
"That's good work Abs" Gibbs complimented her.
"Hey boss, why do you never compliment me?"
"You never do anything worth complimenting DiNozzo" Gibbs said, pushing past him and leaving. He left McGee and Kate with massive smiles on their faces.
"Well?" Mac asked back in the interrogation room. "Any corroborating witnesses?"
"Yes ma'am. My friend."
"You're friend have a name?"
"Yes. Gemma Farmer." Mac's PDA bleeped. The message from Kate read ‘it's her blood at the crime scene'
"So you're friend was with you all night?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Ok. I'll check on that," She told him getting up and heading for the door. The rest of the team greeted her outside. "My technique is that I ask a few questions, leave them to stew and come back later." She filled them in.
"Ok. Let's go check out our witness" Tony stated, walking off down the corridor, girls and McGee following him.

"So where were you last night Miss Farmer?" Kate asked, PDA open.
"I was at my friend's house in Richmond" she answered confused. Mac was with her and Tony was checking the garden.
"What is you're friend's name?" Mac asked
"Jacob Sanders. He is a marine. Is he in trouble?"
"Depends on your definition of trouble. Thank you for your time Miss Farmer." Mac said as she and Kate got up to leave.
"Anytime" she said, extending her arm. Kate shook it and followed Mac out.
"She's lying" Kate told Mac as they headed for the car, Tony already sitting in the front with McGee.
"Yep. She looked to her left, usually means she was fabricating an answer. Look to the right and…"
"She was recalling a memory" Kate finished for her. A sense of déjà vu hit her. She remembered having the exact same conversation with Gibbs two years earlier. "You're had profiler training?"
"Little bit. Half of it is naturally intuition." She joked, climbing into the back seat while Kate went round the back to the other side.
"Well?" Tony asked
"She lied" Kate told him, ‘short and sweet' he thought ‘very sweet' his mind drifting off topic. Mac's voice brought him back.
"She also had a cut on her arm. I saw the plaster from under her shirt when she shook you're hand" She told Kate.
"Her what?" McGee asked
"Oh sorry. Her band aid, is that right" She asked, looking for confirmation
"Close enough" DiNozzo told her, pulling away from the pavement.

"What did you find?" Gibbs asked as they returned.
"She's lying Boss" McGee told him.
"They always do McGee, Mac go ask our friend sergeant Sanders some more questions."
"Aye, ok" She said walking off
"McGee, pull the sergeant phone records, DiNozzo, credit card records Kate go help Abby. She says things will go faster with an assistant. Go!" the all walked away, quite quickly.

"Finally" He uttered as she entered interrogation.
"Sorry sergeant, got held up." He scoffed at her and she gave him a stare that could compete with Gibbs'. "You lied to me Jacob." She stated, sitting down.
"No, I didn't"
"Yes you did. You told me you were in all night with your friend"
"I was"
"We paid her a visit. We told her we found her blood at the crime scene and when we told her, she said she was there around ten. With makes your alibi invalid."
"She's lying"
"No you are sergeant" She said getting agitated. Standing up and placing her hands on the table and leaning forward.
"Ok. Here's the deal. We went there but left. I had to tell her we were breaking up. I love Louise but I love Gemma more"
"Sit here and shut up" she said walking out of the small room and down the corridor.

"He and Farmer were there" Mac told them as she entered the bullpen.
"How'd you get him to admit that" Tony asked
"It's a Scottish thing"
"So you beat his head in with a mace" ‘Jesus, what is it with him and Braveheart!' Mac thought.
"On a totally unrelated subject Tony, "She began "I believe that dream analysis is a great thing. How ‘bout you tell all of us your latest dream" She said, throwing a glance at Kate.
"It doesn't matter" he said shrinking away, leaving the others confused.
"What I thought" Mac said, sitting down.
"It's been a long day, go home get some sleep. I want you all here tomorrow" Gibbs said as he entered. They all got up and headed for the elevator.
"We still on for that drink Mac"
"Hell yes" she said as the doors closed.

Knock, knock. Mac was standing at Kate's door, picking her up for their drink. She stood there for two minutes then started to get suspicious. Her suspicions were confirmed when she heard something break inside. She drew her weapon, and not wanting to make an enemy, she quickly jimmied the lock instead of breaking down the door. Gun held in front of her, she ran slowly, checking for a disturbance. She found the smashed dish on the floor and a noise coming from the bedroom. The door was half open so she stood and listened. "Dear God," she heard, assuming that Kate was talking to someone. "I don't know what to do" ‘does it sound like there is someone else?' Mac thought to herself. "I've been having these feelings for Tony, I think I'm in love with him" ‘oh, Jesus' Mac thought. ‘There is no one here. She is praying' she tried to announce herself but couldn't. She just stood there and eavesdropped. She told herself not to and that it was wrong but she had to hear what Kate was going to say. ‘I'm an evil little son of a bitch' she thought to herself. "I know he doesn't feel the same way," Kate continued "But when he smiles at me I go all shivery. I mean…" this was it; she had to announce herself,
"Um, Kate"
"Oh crap, Mac what are you doing here"
"Sorry to come in but when you didn't answer the door I got suspicious and then I heard something smash and…"
"No it's ok. I didn't here the door and I dropped a dish. So, erm, to the point. What did you here?
"Pretty much all of it. I'm sorry"
"No it's cool, as long as you promise not to tell Tony"
"I won't" She said, recalling the same promise she made to him. "But I think you should"
"Mac I can't. think of the embarrassment on both parts. It will be too weird after words"
"He might say it back" She told her, knowing that he would.
"He won't and I couldn't face him if he rejects me." Mac was finding it really hard to keep her promise to Tony.
"Don't worry about it. Well let's go get a drink. After this, I could use it."