- Text Size +
Chapter 8

"Abs, what have you got for me?" It was Gibbs. He had returned from the crime scene 3 hours earlier with a box of evidence for her and Mac to test.
"What do you want Gibbs?"
"What do you want?"
"Well, a caf pow for one…" he brought one out from behind his back.
"Gibbs, you're a mind reader" she said spinning back round to the computer, big grin on her face. "Mac tested the 9mm. bullets match. It is the gun that killed her. Angle of trajectory shows that the fatal wound was self-inflicted. I nearly have the tape done. It was pretty messed up."
"How long?"
"About 5 seconds" she laughed. "I bet she didn't know there was a camera there."
"There she is." He said seeing the woman enter. "The place is deserted"
"Yup. Here you see her pull out the gun, look around, turn around and shoot. As you can see she fired twice. Second shot missed and hit the camera. It was new so it had the tape inside. That's how it got mucked up."
"That's good work Abs"
"Thanks Gibbs but Mac helped"
"So it was a suicide. I'll tell her parents" he said sadly, leaving the lab.

"Nice work on the gun MacDonald"
"Thanks boss" she said, a bit surprised.
"Turns out it was a suicide"
"Does that mean I can leave?" Kate asked "My flight to Indiana leaves in two hours from Dulles and I still need to check in and everything. You know how busy it can get around Thanksgiving."
"Ok. Have fun" Gibbs said reluctantly.
"Bye Tony"
"Bye Kate" he said, watching her leave and giving out a sigh. Realizing what he had done, he spun around to see if anyone had noticed. Only Mac had. She had a big grin on her face; she shook her head in a joking way and returned to her computer. An IM message popped up on Tony's screen. It read:
Scot112: Ah love
He replied:
Sexmachine124: if you don't stop you're going to give it away.
Scot112: Calm down. I really think you should tell her.
Sexmachine124: I can't, I couldn't face her after.
Scot112: don't be stupid, she might say it back.
Sexmachine124: Don't you be stupid. She thinks I'm a skirt chaser.
Scot112:That's cause you are eejit.
Sexmaxhine124: what?
Scot112: idiot. Read it aloud
Sexmachine124: oh right
He laughed out loud and didn't mean to.
"What are you laughing at?" it was Kate. She had forgotten her keys and was picking them up.
"Nothing." He said throwing a glance at Mac. With that, she burst out laughing as well. ‘Something is defiantly going on between them.' Kate thought. ‘I thought she was nice. She found out my secret and still slept with him. Bitch.'
"Bye Guys." she said, leaving. "Mac." She said coldly, causing her to look up. Kate just walked away and Mac just looked at Tony in a ‘What did I do?' way and he shrugged, just as confused as her.
"Can I go too Boss? My flight leaves as well."
"Mine too."
"Be late when you come back and you won't be coming back ever again."
"Yes Boss" the two male agents said, leaving.
"How ‘bout you?" he said, indicating to Mac.
"I'm not doing anything. It isn't my holiday."
"Ok well I'm gone." He said , picking up his jacket.
"Leave me on my Norman then." She said sarcastically.
"Your what?"
"My own, sorry"
"Ok" he said, following suit of the others and leaving. Mac decided to go see Abby.

"Hey Abs"
"Mac, I was just leaving" she said, pulling on her coat.
"Everyone is gone"
"You could come with me to New Orleans"
"What?"
"I have a spare ticket. My brother has to get a later flight, he was held up."
"Will it be ok with your family?"
"You are like family to me so it'll be ok. Go home now. Pack clothes for 3 days and meet me at the airport"
"Cool" she said rushing out. She was surprisingly excited.

"Welcome to New Orleans!" Abby said as they stepped out of the airport. Abby's Dad had sent a cab to pick them up. It took half an hour to get to the house. When they arrived, Abby's parents were standing on the doorstep. They gave her a hug and Abby introduced them. She felt the need to tell Mac everything she signed. "Abs, you do know I sign right?"
"No I didn't, how stupid am I?"
"Last thing you are is stupid Abs. you're a genius."
"Thanks Mac" Mac introduced herself at this time.

*sign conversation*

"Mr. and Mrs. Scuito. It's nice to meet you. I'm Sarah MacDonald. Call me Mac."
"Nice to meet you Mac, and please. It is George and Sophie."
"Ok"
"Mum, Dad, let's go inside."
"So Mac what do you do?"
"I'm a special agent at NCIS but I have my degree in criminology so I help Abby sometimes."
"Great, what did you do to your arm?" it was Abby's dad this time.
"I got shot in the shoulder."
"Yes, she saved my life"
"I did not. I told you to get out of my line of fire"
"Lets get a drink" Abby's mum signed, breaking up the argument.

* end sign conversation*

Mac's Phone began to ring. "Excuse me" she aid standing up "MacDonald"
"Mac, it's Tony" he was whispering
"What is it DiNozzo?"
"Here's the deal. I told my aunt Julia I had a fiancé and she wants to talk to her. I couldn't ask Kate because that would be too weird. You were next in my phonebook.
"Oh brilliant. Second on the short list."
"Well I told her she was foreign so that pretty much singles you out."
"I'll take that as a complement"
"Any way. Please Mac. Here she comes."
"Hello?"
"Yes. Are you Tony's aunt?"
"Yes are you his fiancé?"
"I am"
"Do you love him?"
"Of course I love him. I wouldn't be engaged to him if I wasn't" Meanwhile the DiNozzo house phone rang.
"Mark DiNozzo"
"Mr. DiNozzo, it's Kate Todd. I work with your son Tony. Can I please talk to him for a moment?" ‘This was it she thought. She was drunk and was going to tell him she loved him'
"Hold on. He is on his cell just now. Could you wait a few minutes?" Tony's Dad walked into the room where Tony and Julia were standing. He heard Julia say ‘bye' and hand Tony the phone. She walked past him and through the door. She was still in earshot she Tony said:
"Ok Mac. See you soon honey." Unfortunately Kate heard this through the earpiece of the other phone. "What is it dad?"
"Co-worker on the phone" he said, handing it to him.
"DiNozzo" there was no one on the other end so he hung up, saying "ok"

"Sorry about that" Mac said, returning to the room. BANG! Abby and Mac spun around, but Abby's parents couldn't hear it. Someone or something had fallen over, making a huge noise. Mac drew her weapon and another from inside her jacket, tossing it to Abby.
"Are you laying them?" Abby asked jokingly. She knew Mac had another at her ankle.
"Wish I was. Painful but I could make a fortune on e-bay." She joked, heading for the back room. They both entered and were shocked at what the found. Abby's brother Chris, lying face down on the floor, cut and bruised and bleeding from a stab wound to the abdomen.