- Text Size +
Okay, chapter two! Yay! I got this one out pretty quick… can't promise that for all of them, though, ‘cause the chapters I already have written I have to type up, and then I have to finish writing the rest of it. But I have a plan, so I may actually finish this one! Thanks to everyone who reviewed, and keep it up; convince me that I should continue before I loose the urge to write!

Chapter 2

Abby struggled against the arms that held her, but the grip was too tight for her to break. "Calm down, now, you're just going to make this harder," the man told her, tightening his grip around her ribs until she whimpered in pain and calmed a bit, still tense but not struggling quite as hard. "There now, good girl. See, it's easier when you cooperate. Now, you've screamed once, so I'm sure help's coming, good for you. So there's no reason to scream again; I'm sure we both agree on that?" Not sure what would happen if she disagreed, Abby nodded slightly. "Okay, then." The hand fell away from her mouth, but the man's other arm still held her tightly, preventing her escape.
A sudden prick on her arm caused Abby to yelp slightly, twisting enough to see that the man holding her had jabbed a needle into her upper right arm, injecting her with something. She started to struggle again, but he only tightened his grip, cautioning her "Now, now, don't want to break the needle, do we?" Before she could do anything, he removed the needle, pocketed the syringe, and wrapped his free arm around her waist.
"I hope you'll excuse my frightening you, sweetheart, and again for not releasing you just yet. I believe it will be to my advantage to keep you close for a while is all, it's nothing personal."
Gibbs chose that moment to rush into the lab, gun drawn. "Abby!" He was quick to assess the situation, aiming the gun towards the man even though it was obvious that he wouldn't be able to shoot; this guy was using Abby as an effective shield. "Let her go!"
Abby noted that the man's whole demeanor seemed to change instantly, from the almost polite way he had spoken to her, as though she were a small child, to a cocky, overbearing attitude towards Gibbs. "Oh, demanding, aren't we?" He tightened his grip again, making her wince; Gibbs took a step closer, searching for an opening to get at the guy. "But she's such a pretty little thing." He held her close, not allowing Gibbs the opening he was looking for.
"If you hurt her, I'll…" Gibbs started, but the man cut him off.
"Oh, I'm afraid you're a little late. She's not injured, no, but I think you'll find my way just as effective, if not more so."
"What do you mean?" Gibbs asked, glaring. The man fixed him with a piercing stare, his eyes so dark they seemed almost black.
"It's an interesting story, really, but for the sake of time – as I'm afraid there's a surprisingly small amount of it – I'll just give you the short version. I'm a scientist of sorts. A doctor, if you will. I don't cure illnesses, no… I invent them. Much more fun, much more of a challenge. And this dear little thing," he rested his chin on top of Abby's head, making her squirm a bit, "has just become my first human test subject." Leaving Gibbs to think about that, he directed his next words towards Abby. "I'm sorry about this, sweetheart, I really am. But all in all, I think you can feel honoured to be a part of such an experiment."
"What did you do to her?" Gibbs demanded angrily, seeing slight fear in Abby's eyes.
The man sighed, seeming put off by Gibbs slowness to understand his clues. "I created a biological weapon, and Abby – I assume, by the way, that Abigail is the full name? Only fitting that such a pretty girl has an equally pretty name – is now the person I'm testing it on."
Abby's eyes widened in fear; Gibbs stared at the man in shock and disbelief, anger shining in his eyes. Seemingly oblivious to this, the man continued, infuriatingly calm. It's actually rather benign. I could have made worse ones, of course, but for my first I decided to keep it simple. Fever, breathing trouble, pulse changes, a few little painful surprises… and there I must apologize to you, sweetheart, but it can't be helped now." He looked at Gibbs, smiling slightly; an unpleasant, sly sort of smile. "But it's not contagious, so only dear Abigail here has to suffer. Oh, and before you start doubting that I'm telling the truth, just wait a few hours. You can expect a headache, fever, chills, feeling lightheaded; symptoms that increasingly get worse. It's the fever that kills, mainly, although I expect the pulse changes could be too much for one." He shrugged slightly. "Abigail seems a strong one, though. And you do have a doctor here… Abigail, sweetheart, it you will assist me, I simply cannot remember the dear doctor's name."
"Ducky," she answered automatically, still trying to process everything the man was saying. She could see Gibbs looking for a way to get to the man, but he had her in a pretty tight situation and all three of them knew it.
"Ah, yes, Ducky. Of course. But he is a pathologist, of course, not really the same type of doctor as may be useful here, but he still may be able to make you more comfortable; make things easier for you, and that certainly is a good thing." He looked over at Gibbs. "But, certainly you won't want her to die, and I'm afraid there's nothing dear doctor Ducky can do about that. Which is where I come in… again." Gibbs started to say something, but the man cut him off. "This would be a good time to listen, as I'm only saying this once and it is a matter of life and death…" he smiled cruelly down at Abby, "Hers. So for her sake, just stay quiet. I made this weapon, and I know it would have been very unwise of me not to make an antidote. Must be prepared for any accidents. So, naturally, I made one, and, as you would expect, I have it. Not with me, now, I know better, and besides, you will want some proof that I'm telling you the truth. You let me walk out of here, and in twenty-four hours I will contact you. I'm certain that we can arrange something."
"What do you want?" Gibbs asked suspiciously, watching as Abby made another unsuccessful attempt to pull away.
"Well, as I'm certain you can guess, manufacturing biological weapons is not exactly cheap… that's all I'm going to say now. We'll talk again in twenty-four hours. Oh, and so you know… the final deadline, for you to consider, is seventy-two hours. If you don't administer the antidote by that time, I'm afraid it will be too late to save her." He looked down at Abby, something vaguely resembling sympathy in his expression. "Again, sweetheart, I am sorry about this… but it is science, you know. And maybe your friends will save you. I can only hope; it would be quite sad for the world to loose someone so pretty." This said, he shoved Abby forwards towards Gibbs. She yelped in surprise, not expecting it, and Gibbs moved quickly to catch her. By the time he looked back up, the man was gone.