- Text Size +
The sound of his phone alarm woke him from his restless slumber; he opened his eyes praying and hoping to see her by his side, just like every other day in the last six months after they had gotten married. He opened his eyes to find that he dream that they had been living was still gone. He stood up. Today. He thought. The mail needed to be sorted through. He got up slowly; mentally preparing himself for his daily motions without her. One more day in the years he still had left on earth without her.

He bent down and slowly picked up a letter addressed to him. It wasn't fancy, just a normal letter. He prayed that it wasn't another consolation letter. He couldn't face that so early in the day. Rip. There. The envelope was open. He reached inside and retrieved the piece of paper. ‘Follow through your promise to me. –Love you more than you know.' No signature or initials. He thought about what it said. ‘Follow through your promise to me'. He thought back to the last promise that he had made. Kate. His heart ached for her. That was the last promise he had made. She had wanted to go to the park today, on one of their rare days that they had off together.

‘Love you more than you know.' It was her way of letting him know that it really was her. No one else knew about the notes they each left the other. Each having ‘Love you more than you know' at the end. It had to be her. He looked at the clock on the kitchen wall; nine o'clock. He thought back to the morning of that fateful day. He had agreed that they would go to the park for awhile, just to sit back and relax and get away from everything that happened throughout that week. They had their special spot. One which they were regularly seen at; simply enjoying the others presence. It was also the place where he had proposed, another thing that he would do with her. Lay back and reminisce one of the best days of their lives.

It had to be her.

He had to take the gamble. It was his one and only small light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel; his one hope at getting the love of his life back. He got up and quickly grabbed her favourite coat; he was sure that she couldn't have taken a coat along, and she would certainly need one; along with the coat that she would always have him wear. He hurried out of their apartment, quickly locking the door, racing down the stairs and then starting up the car.