- Text Size +
I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you


He was drowning and he knew it. They knew too. But now his one and only had thrown him a lifeline. He clutched the letter and re-read it over and over again in his head. ‘Follow through your promise to me. –Love you more than you know.' She was like his life-support and without her life meant nothing to him.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way to your loving arms


As soon as he got to the park he found a parking space, parked his car and locked it and walked to their spot; mentally preparing himself for what could be a let down. Two more turns. His heart raced. But then he thought of something else. What if someone had found out about their little messages? What if there was someone waiting on the other side waiting for him? He thought back to what his lover would have told him if she was there. He could picture her sitting at her desk.

‘Call for backup Tony, don't die because I have. Live for me.'

He knew what he had to do. One more turn. He reached for his phone and dialled number two on his speed dial. Number one was left for exactly that. His number one. His one and only. He got Gibbs pretty quickly. After all; who expects a call from their Senior Field Agent on their day-off? He told him of the letter; and his boss said he would come with the team.

But he couldn't wait. No. The love of his life; his one and only could be just round the corner. He couldn't wait any longer. He turned the corner. He looked to the bench; their bench. There she was, sitting on the park bench, quiet, still; and waiting.

This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you


It was as if she had sensed his presence coming toward her. She stood up and looked around but at a first glance she couldn't see him. He was good; hiding away, watching her from afar. But she was better. She looked around once more, she knew her husbands gaze when she felt it. He knew that she'd seen him.

He took a step forward, walking towards her with her pooling eyes locked onto his. They were lost in the moment together.

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true


Gibbs and the team had arrived, even Abby had come along. He and McGee were just about to turn that last corner which Tony had impatiently been waiting at. But something told Abby to hold them back. And she did. She held the whole team back; even the great boss-man listened to her and stopped. They peered around the corner quietly; only to see their friends caught up in the moment.

They met in the middle of the grass; coats long forgotten, all they needed was the other. He reached out to her, softly touching her, checking that no one had harmed his precious love. She looked over him; feeling him softly, she saw his sunken eyes; she wouldn't have been able to live life without him either. They looked back into the others eyes; both offering questioning yet reassuring insights.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms


He wrapped his arms around her; pulling her back, close to him where she belonged, he received no aversion; she needed his touch just as much. She leaned into her lover's arms; where she felt safe, protected from anything, she wanted nothing more for that moment.

This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you


They looked up at the same moment; both wanting this little bit more, the taste of the other on their lips, he leaned down, she tilted her head up. Their lips met, it was slow, tender and soft; for there was no need to rush things; they had the rest of their lives to live the dream.

Now I'm just rolling home into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you


Together.
Chapter End Notes:
The song is 'Bless the Broken Road' by the Rascal Flatts